Frugal Village Forums banner

2009 Coupon Challenge

17K views 283 replies 61 participants last post by  khaski 
#1 · (Edited)
How about a coupon challenge to help us save money in 2009? During 2008, I kept a running total of the savings I had received from using my coupons at the grocery store. I saved a total of $558.82. Each week, I put this money aside in a savings account. It was surprising how much I accumulated. I am sure there are some pros out there they would do way better than I did. Anyone game for posting our coupon savings?

#5 ·
I would love to join in too.

#7 · (Edited)
Sassyclass, good to know that!

I just started back using coupons. Last week was a disappointment *sigh*

Will try to find something to keep them in ... if not I will use envelopes.

#8 ·
Emily, I use a 3 ring binder. I bought several zipper pencil pouches with the plastic windows. I can put hundreds of Q's in each category this way, and don't have to worry about losing any Q's. When you start getting too many for envies, you may want to try the binder method. Hopefully someone else will post how they do theirs. I bought the pouches at Walmart for .97 each.

Cat

#9 ·
I must start using coupons too. FIL sent me a big stack today. 99% are expiring but some weren't. I've got to start doing this again. I did years ago, but somewhere down the way I got too affluent to clip coupons. What? Not affluent Misti--lazy.

#10 ·
Cat,

Thanks for the great idea. I will look into it tonight when I am in Walmart.

#12 ·
I'm in. I count all coupons and the extra when the stores double. In Nov and Dec alone I saved more than $600 :mdance:

#13 ·
I need to do this one too! Where do you get your coupons, other than the Sunday paper? Are you all just adding just the savings from the paper coupons or are you adding store card savings too? Just wandering.....

#15 ·
I do get mine from the Sunday papers. I know some people use sites on the internet that clip the coupons for you and you can order the ones you want for a small fee. There are coupon trains to join and swap coupons with others. I am not counting the store card savings with mine, just the coupons.

#18 ·
Emily, I use a 3 ring binder. I bought several zipper pencil pouches with the plastic windows. I can put hundreds of Q's in each category this way, and don't have to worry about losing any Q's. When you start getting too many for envies, you may want to try the binder method. Hopefully someone else will post how they do theirs. I bought the pouches at Walmart for .97 each.

Cat
Picked up my binder and matching pouches tonight and am ready to go! What a great idea that is!

#19 ·
I'm definitely in. I used to never buy anything unless it was on sale and I had a coupon to go with it. Over the last few months I have gotten away from this and my grocery budget is feeling it.

#20 ·
I'm in for this one too. I like to use coupons, but never added up my savings. It is going to be very interesting to see the saving amount.

#21 ·
I agree with everyone else. This is a good idea and will be interesting to see the total.

I do have one problem, however. As I am challenged to make more stuff from scratch, or go to Aldi's (who have very low prices, but don't take coupons), or buy less convince foods I find I have less coupons available. When is the last time you saw a coupon for store brand flour? You know? I will be glad to try.

#30 ·
I only use coupons if it's something that I normally purchase. We seldom get coupons for items that are in my pantry that I use for baking or cooking. However, we do get coupons for items like tp, toothpaste, batteries and such. That's where I use coupons the most. I won't purchase convience foods just because I have a coupon.

#22 ·
I just got back into using coupons so I am totally in for this one. Can't wait to see what I can save.

#23 ·
I would like to join as well.

#25 ·
Me and DH use coupons all the time. I never thought about keeping track of what we save to see how much it adds up to in a month. So count me in.

#31 ·
My goal is saving the money that I save on coupons. If you want to do the same... wonderful. I think some people are just going to post the amounts they saved just to see the totals. Either way is good.

#28 ·
I am in I use coupons an want to keep track of my savings

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.