Frugal Village Forums banner

One tank of gas Challenge

5K views 83 replies 30 participants last post by  savvy_sniper 
#1 ·
I got a challenge for everyone..

I'm assuming gas will go up fairly soon and rise into the summer months.

So I'm trying to get as many people involved in a challenge (here, where I live and where I work)

How long can you go on ONE tank of gas? A day? A week? Months?

I say we start April 1... April Fool's day.. 'cuz we're fools for buying a product that we just burn into the air.

Anybody up for the challenge?

#3 ·
I may be able to do that, as long as we don't have to go to Casper. We live 1.5 hours from almost anything. Need a walmart? 111 miles away. Same for oral surgeons, dollar tree, and anything other than the ONE full service supermarket in town. Needless to say if I need to visit a girly dr, I'll be darned if I'm doing it in this one horse town. That is one person I DON'T want to "bump into" in the produce section. :lol3:

#4 ·
I'd be in...but that would be cheating...I walk, or ride my bike, or ride the bus nearly everywhere. the last time I filled up the tank in my car was October... in fact I wonder if gas goes bad?

Mind you, I'm really lucky we live central to everything and have an awesome bus system and bike lanes.

But best of luck to you all!

#7 ·
in fact I wonder if gas goes bad?
Yes, actually, it does. If you're going to have gas sitting for several months, you should add a product called Stabil to the tank. That keeps the gas from degrading.

If, when you drive the car again, the engine is mis-firing, it's probably the gas. Try filling the tank with fresh gas (hopefully there's not much gas in the tank right now) and see if that takes care of the problem.

#5 ·
My tank takes about $20 to $25 to fill (13 gal I think) and until my sons car broke down that would last me a week to 10 days (provided my daughter didnt ask to use it) to two weeks. I worked at home then. I recently took a temp job for 2 1/2 months and with the extra gas and the cost of food to pack to eat there I am wondering why I took the job to help out!

#6 ·
i'm guessing two days for me. have to get to school somehow.

#9 ·
i want to be in too....but in the summer i use my moped ALOT....can i just add that to the expense or how should i calculate it ?? i still do drive the car to far away or unsafe places that the moped can't reach....can i play?????

#10 ·
1 tank usually lasts me 2 weeks. But I'm up for it to see if I can stretch it any further.

#11 ·
so can we start now ?? i put $5.00 in on monday...(hey-its all i wanted to spend...lol) i have 68 miles to empty....(i live in a veerryyy small town)...... how are we doing this...?

#12 ·
I figured we'd wait to get people on board... wait for the weather to warm up so it is easier for people to find other ways of getting around.. walking.. biking, etc.. But if enough people are in for it, I say we start this Monday.

The thing is I am not just doing this here, I am also doing this in my neighborhood and at work.

#14 ·
I can do Monday! The longer the wait, the more apt I am to forget!

#16 ·
I'll be in for Monday as well. A tank full lasts me anywhere from a week to a month, depending on what all I have to do, so this will really make me think about where I'm going. Right now, I filled up on February 27th and still have a little more than 1/2 tank left, lol. We're at least 18 miles from any kind of grocery, etc, I simply don't go anywhere. :)

#17 ·
a tank of gas usually lasted us a little over a week. But now that dh is laid off, we will be using a lot less. We usually spend about $35 to fill up our van. We are going to try and get 2 weeks out of it now - this will save us about $80 a month since I usually budget $40 a week.

Lisette
http://couponqueenofcorning.today.com/

#19 ·
I commute to work every day, so a tank of gas wouldn't last very long. Environmentally, I am not helping much. Economically, however, I drive a company car and I don't buy the gas for it, so I only have to fill up my pick-up truck once every 2-3 months. I do most of my shopping to/from work, so I don't have to take the truck out. If I can count my truck, I'd probably win the challenge. :D

#20 ·
I'm in for this Monday - I wanted a reason to get back on public transportation for my commute to work and this challenge will be just the thing. I'll fill up Monday AM or Sunday PM and see how it goes. Now I need to go by a bus pass. :)

#25 ·
OK. I put $10.10 in my tank last night which will be my official fillup for this challenge. I won't be driving for the next few days and it made no sense to me to make a special trip out to fill on gas.

I drive a 98 Ford Taurus SE with 193000 miles on it. It is possible this tank will outlast the car.

I'm riding my bike to work tonight, and Sunday, and carpooling Monday. My goal is to make this tank last at least a month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.