Frugal Village Forums banner

Newbie Challenge

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  dean 
#1 ·
Okay, Newbies, this one is just for us. (For the purposes of this challenge, 'newbies' is defined as anyone who joined FV six months ago or less.)

Everyone has at least one frugal trick that they don't necessarly recognize, because they think "Everybody knows THAT!" Maybe, everybody doesn't.

The challenge is to post a frugal idea here that you do as a matter of course or have done for a long time without thinking of it as frugal. It's just what you do. This is actually harder than it sounds, because we have blind spots about stuff we do all the time.

Here's mine, to start off.

For many years I've been in love with cats and have followed in my mother's footsteps by making them catnip bags from old baby socks, empty toilet paper rolls and home dried catnip.

I collect my own wild catnip every summer and hang it to dry just like any other herb. When dry, pick off the leaves and flowers and discard the stems, which are dangerous for kitties.

Take a clean (do not use bleach when washing) baby sock and insert an empty toilet paper roll into the end to hold the sock open. You want to push the roll as far into the sock as possible to keep the dry catnip from catching on the knit.

Dump in a couple of tablespoons of dry catnip and remove the TP roll. You should now have catnip in the toe of the sock. Holding the toe in one hand and the cuff in the other, stretch the sock until you can tie a knot in it to keep the catnip in place. Push the knot as far down as it will go so you have a lump of catnip in the toe held tightly by the knot.

Rub the toe between your hands to release the scent and toss it to the closest kitty and enjoy the reaction.

FYI, catnip grows wild in many parts of the country and can be identified by its square stems and triangular, fuzzy leaves. All mints look like this, so pluck off a leaf and crush it. If you have cats, you already know what catnip smells like, but it could be peppermint or spearmint, too. Any good wild plants book should have a picture to help you identify catnip.

See less See more
#3 ·
this is my first post!

This sounds silly and basic, but the thread about "dumb things other people spend money on" reminded me of it:

We don't spend money (or a lot of money) on things that aren't important to us.

For instance: we don't care what we brush our teeth with or wipe our behinds with or wash our dishes with, so we just get the cheapest toothpaste and toilet paper and dish soap we can find.

We DO care about our comfort on the long flights from Chicago to Phoenix we take on our semi-annual trips to visit family, so we are willing to pay a few dollars more to fly Southwest instead of, say, a special deal on United coach. (Of course, usually SW is the cheapest, anyway! :crackup:)

#5 ·
I wouldn't call this frugal exactly but I save all year for Christmas and make about 1/2 our gifts. I never use a credit card for Christmas. When I am out of cash, I am done. I also use mypoints to get gift cards for free.

#6 ·
Each night after dinner, if there are any leftover vegies or soup-type fixins, I put them in a gallon freezer bag in the freezer. When the bag is full it is time for soup!!!

#7 ·
i buy bags of shredded cole slaw mix and put it in my salad as 'stretchers' with the price of lettuce being what it is today...everything helps.... i can usually get a big bag for a buck around here....

#8 ·
don't forget to keep closet doors, cabinet doors and anywhere else air can get into closed...you don't want to heat/cool these areas...it increases the S/F of your heating/cooling space....

and close doors & vents to unused rooms...

#9 ·
newbie challenge

I'm a newbie here and have two frugal tips to share.

I have a 16 month old grandson who doesn't eat much baby food any more. Every time I make soup, chili, etc. I fill up an ice cube tray, freeze, put cubes in freezer bag and all I have to do is thaw and he has instant lunch!! Healthy and tasty!

Second,
A great leftover turkey recipe..
Cut up leftover turkey into bite size pieces (dark, white, or both)
Mix with leftover stuffing.
Boil and drain 1 box large shells. Stuff with mixture.
Put leftover gravy in bottom of 9X13 pan.
Put in stuffed shells. Put more gravy over top of each shell.
Cover and bake 30 minutes at 350.
Great to freeze too.

Also great with chicken.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.