Frugal Village Forums banner

Making a Plan and Sticking to it!

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  mopples 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone!
I'm new to the forums, but have been working on my debt reduction for more than a year now. One thing I struggle with the most is making a "Monthly Spending Plan" and then actually plugging in the numbers once the month is up. I'm fine with keeping them day to day, but when it comes to actually analyzing them and seeing where all my money went, it's tough to motivate myself to get moving.

Wondering if we could do a challenge where we post our Monthly Spending Plans at the beginning of the months and then post in at the end of the month to see how we did. It's not so important to keep to the plan "perfectly" as it is to make it and then check in at the end of the month and make adjustments as necessary.

(Plus, I'm hoping that posting this will motivate me to actually make and stick to my own spending plan...)

Anyone else in?

#2 ·
I handwrite mine in on the spreadsheet when i pay bills. that's it.

#3 ·
Before the month begins i sit down with a notebook i have dedicated for budget and write out all bills for the month try to budget right to the penny. But i also believe changing my habits have helped like having no spend days and using the library and bringing my lunch to work.

#4 ·
I write mine down in a notebook, then when I go to pay the bills I write in the exact amount that I paid. If the bill goes 3-months at a change rate, then I make the change to my budget. The only thing that changes for us is what we spend on gas and electric. If there are added expenses not in the budget, I jot those down too.

#5 ·
Determined, I know just what you mean! I write everything down but don't add it up. I don't do that because when I did do that I couldn't get it all to work out. It didn't balance out. I don't know what the problem was/is. So, I will join you on this challenge. i will add up my April budget on the first and let you know.

#6 ·
Sounds like where I am too. I will give this challenge a go and see what I can do with it!!

#8 ·
I have everything on a spreadsheet. I have one column per pay period and bills/expenses are grouped going down the column depending on their frequancy. All but one of my expenses are manually paid by me. As i pay each bill it gets marked off the list.

The thing i tend to have a few problems with is sticking to my personal weekly spend of $50 opps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.