Frugal Village Forums banner

Thank God for EF

Tags
god
1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Cricketlegs 
#1 ·
So it's time to take my car in to be serviced. Oil change, etc. I end up with new tires. (sigh). It seems everytime I get my EF built up something happens to take it down. First it was a new hot water heater then a few months later my frig went out, now it's tires. I figure next time it'll be brakes. lol

I guess trhis is what my EF is for. I'm thankful to have it.

#2 ·
I know what you mean. It's not fun having to use the EF and having to rebuild it, but it's wonderful it's there when you need it.

#4 ·
Thanks for this topic. I really needed to hear your struggles of using your emergency fund to face my choices. I have saved almost $2000. My goal is $4000. Great to have a cushion, but I really need to spend it on a new roof. I guess it is good to pay for what I need using my emergency fund instead of just putting it on credit. I/we just need to keep rebuilding the EF!

#5 ·
That's what I do... use it if I must but keep adding to it. And yes, it is awesome having the $ when things come up and I need some extra.

I can't seem to get it fully funded but I've always had enough in it to take care of what I need.

#7 ·
I think exactly the same way. Grateful for a second that I have the cash to pay for a big item we need, but also disappointed that we have to take money out of our big savings account! Kind of like I forget that is what it's there for!

#8 ·
So it's time to take my car in to be serviced. Oil change, etc. I end up with new tires. (sigh). It seems everytime I get my EF built up something happens to take it down. First it was a new hot water heater then a few months later my frig went out, now it's tires. I figure next time it'll be brakes. lol
How many times does the thing that needs fixed have something to do with the car? Did the car really need new tires? Some repair shops will recommend new tires before they really are due.

Are there any other forms of transportation available to you? Figure the less the car is driven the longer it will go between maintenance intervals.

I've learned to live a nearly car free life and my budget has been thanking me. You don't realize how much a drain on finances a car really is until you get rid of it.

#9 ·
Do you live in a city? Use public transportation? Ask people for rides? I can't imagine not having a car, but if I could take buses & the subway in the city, that would be cool.

#12 ·
After much internal back and forth, I am now convinced that I need to address the EF situation. The only way that will work for me is automatic deductions. Will be setting up the account tomorrow for all the reasons that you have been talking about. Sure makes sense. Mahalo and aloha!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.