Frugal Village Forums banner

May Grocery Challenge 5/1-5/31

4K views 73 replies 30 participants last post by  JanieD 
#1 ·
I'm going to start this a day early since today is my payday and I have to get groceries while I'm off work. The money will be coming out of our first check of the month tomorrow. I'm going with $450 for all groceries, H&B, cleaning, and stockpiling. We have 3 paydays this month so I hope to really stock up but I'm running out of room.

Cat

#2 ·
Well, since I will be losing my job in two weeks, i think now is the time to try to get my expenses down as much as possible.

I am going to go for $75 per week which is $300 for the month. That will include EVERYTHING needed for my home and pets.

#3 ·
Although I did go over by quite a bit this month, I am lowering my amount by $15. So I will be set at $435 for four including all HBA, dog and cat food. Since I stocked up pretty good yesterday, I am hoping that I won't need as much next month. :D

#4 ·
My goal is $450 for three...including all HBA, cleaning supplies etc. I went WAYYY over for April but did stockpile quite a bit in my pantry and freezer!

#5 ·
my goal is 250. the farmers market opens this sunday and our csa should kick off at the end of the month. i have also found a great free OAMC site and the recipes are broken down so i intend to try one entree this month just to get going. i have been doing well averaging about $60/week but i need to be accountable so here we go

#10 ·
Would love to hear about your experiences with OAMC - sounds interesting, but I've never attempted it.

I'm at $400 for the month.

#8 ·
That's the way to do it. I try to spend a little more in the warmer months while utility bills are lower, stocking up so I don't have to spend as much during nasty cold months. Even if you make a list of things you want to stock up on and pick just 2 items to start with, maybe shampoo and deoderant, buy 2 of each every week for that month and you'll be stocked for a little while.

Cat

#7 ·
I didn't do very well last month...lost track of what I spent and everything...So I have no idea!!! So I'm going to try it again this month! Ok for May...I'm going to set a Limit of $350..that's for 1 adult and 2 children...That won't include hba or cleaning or paper products...I'm sure I'll be under...but We'll see!!

#9 ·
I'll be in for $450 again for the month of May. I had quite a bit left over in April, so went ahead to the store today and stocked up on some meat specials, baking needs, etc. The $450 is for all groceries, meds, hba, cleaners, pet supplies - everything basically for a family of 4 with 6 big dogs and 4 indoor cats.

#11 ·
I will try for $200 this month. I always say I am not including non food items, but I don't take the time to seperate, so this should include anything besides diapers.

#14 ·
Ok...I must change mine to $375. I just realized there is an extra Friday in this month, so that would be an extra $75.

#17 ·
I am going for 450.00 this month.

#19 ·
I'm in again fofr $400 for food, HBA, and cleaning products for 2 adults, 2kids, 1 cat and 1 very hungry dog. This money also has to include DS#1's birthday food. We are having a cook out with family. I have already spent about $100 so far, but hope not to shop for the next 2 weeks. I still have a lot of stockpile I would like to use up before the middle of hurricane season.

#20 ·
I'm staying with $450 for May since I didn't stockpile much so will have to do it this month.

#21 ·
DD is home for the weekend and wanted pizza for dinner tonight - we talked about Pizza Hut, but decided to heat up our own supermarket versions - spent $18.31 - saved about $20. Not a bad trade off!!

Reactions: Sassyclass
#23 ·
Ladies I'm in on this. I've never done one of the challenges so this will be my first. I am in for $400.00 this month and hope to be able to reduce that next even more next month. This is for 4 adults...my kiddos live at home and attend college full time but they do finals next week and will be home most of the time this summer...also 2 dogs and 5 cats plus any stockpile items. So far this month I've spent nothing on groceries but I just did a big grocery trip last week. I won't need anything for a few days at least.

I do have a big church dinner to cook for at the end of this month and hope that doesn't throw me over budget.

Reactions: Sassyclass
#26 ·
I'm in for $250 this month-including HBA and pet items and cleaning supplies.
Spent 32 today-stockpiled ketchup, mustard, & bbq sauce. .99 each
6 packages of manager special meats. Wings, breasts, and steak.
Sounds like some grilling to me.
My DH is just as frugal as I am. When our gas grill broke a few years ago, I mean really done. He took out all the innards and turned it into a charcoal grill. I love my frugal man!!

#27 ·
Just getting started for May. I haven't been to the grocery store this month, yet. I will probably be going this afternoon. I am going to set my goal at $465. I hope I can manage this, I didn't do much stocking up in April.

#28 ·
I went to pick up a few items with a triple coupon sale. I spent a little over $6.00. $3.36 was for mom and dad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.