Frugal Village Forums banner

Money from "Nothing" Challenge 6/13

4K views 46 replies 26 participants last post by  baxjul 
#1 ·
This is more of a challenge to myself, but maybe someone would like to join and motivate?

I'm challenging myself to see how much money I can make from "nothing" by June 13th. I'm feeling a little desperate to build up my emergency fund (we have been having weekly rounds of layoffs at my office).

It feels like I have no resources beyond my job, but today on my way to work, I saw my neighbors had put all their returnable bottles from a weekend cookout on the curb in a clear bag for trash collection, so I put them in my car to return them.

Now, I have a couple of jars of change I could roll, I have some wedding gifts I never used/will use still in their original packaging in my basement, I can sell those on e-bay and if I push myself every night when I get home from work I think I could have a pretty decent yardsale on June 13th. I wonder how much money I could make between now and then?

Anyone up for a challenge? Anyone have any ideas for other ways we could "make money from nothing" in the next couple of weeks?

#29 ·
Every night this week I've been pulling things out of the house, basement, barn, garage and attic for the yardsale....lots of furniture (LOTS - 5 couches, 2 telephone stands, 4 more bureaus, an abused antique desk), 20 boxes of books, a 10 year old washer and dryer that works great, 5 boxes of kitchen items - pots, pans decorating items - lots of "vintage" kitchen items left over from my great aunts antique store, decorative items, 5 guitars, 2 drum sets, over 100 records (and that's not even) a wood stove, a complete set of china, 15+ pictures in good frames. It's so embarrassing to think we have all this junk taking up space in our lives. Much of it is from previous generations that lived in the house - I think the house actually looks taller now that we've removed all this stuff!

I posted an unused, still in the package quilt, a few fancy trays and specialty pottery on e-bay. Hope to make a $200 or so on that stuff, but the auction won't be over until next Tuesday (too late for my goal).

Question - Part of me kind of just wants to get rid of this stuff. Is it "unfrugal" to donate unsold items from the yardsale? Should I save it all for another yardsale?

#30 ·
I understand about getting rid of it, but I would keep it. It is already gathered, sorted, ect. You could stack it up in the garage or barn. By the end of the summer, have one more sale, and then donate.

#31 ·
Oh my gosh!! What a GIFT! All that meat! Lucky you!

I can't wait to hear how you do at the farmers market. Let us know as soon as you get back...

Also, I think you have to "fix" the stems of poppies by burning them or something like that or they don't keep their petals.... better look it up...

#43 ·
I think you have to "fix" the stems of poppies by burning them or something like that or they don't keep their petals.... better look it up...
You do, I had to boil water very hard and then put the stems in to seal them. They lasted through the farmers market, not sure how they did long term though. I should have kept a few for myself to see how long they lasted in the vase. maybe next year! (the poppies have popped, now I am just waiting for them to dry out so I can get poppy seeds for planting and baking!

That is amazing!!!! I'm only figuring on a couple of hundred.QUOTE]

I am impressed by what you HAVE done! I don't think my results are common in any way. I have an old house I bought already full of furniture (seven generations of my family owned the house and no one EVER threw anything away - it's like I bought an antique store along with a house). that I am slowly selling, and my husband also owns a moving company and he frequently gets furniture on his jobs, sometime he fixes it up and makes good money on it.

Good Luck! I think the key in this was setting a deadline for myself and pulling every possible resource. I didn't sell plasma though, or do survey's. Maybe I'll do this again in a couple of weeks!

#32 · (Edited)
OK, the yard sale went pretty well this weekend. I think I overpriced a few items, got sentimental about a few things but overall it went very well.

Yard Sale total - $1897.65!!!!!!
We told alot of big items, furniture mostly, several guitars and the drum sets - and a whole, whole lot of books, do dads, kitchen gadgets, etc. Lots of antique dealers due to the antique flea market a mile from our house (where we posted PLENTY of signs)

So I guess my money from nothing project brought in over $2300. I feel pretty blessed to have all these resources! The ebay auctions are still ongoing, no bids yet!

#36 ·
That is amazing!!!! I'm only figuring on a couple of hundred.

So far:
~ $35 over ingredient cost from baked goods a friend pleaded for. ( I had just done cookies for 150 people so if there had been no cash she would've had to wait.)

~ huge tote ready to go to the bookstore

~ tote of kids clothes for the consignment store

~ piles of stuff for the yardsale I'm planning for this Sat.

#34 ·
You must be joking!! What a great success!! Congratulations!

#37 ·
What an awesome thread! How inspiring and motivational! I love all the ideas, and the successes!

#38 ·
Online surveys are definetly good way to make some extra money. So far since January 1st I have made almost $1200. It all goes into my Christmas fund. It does take some time though.

#40 ·
I like the surveys too. But, how many and which ones are you doing? I don't ever make that much. I may make $100 on a good year. If you would like to share that would be great. Thanks!

#39 ·
Not sure if it has already been said but if you round up in your checkbook helps. I know later on this summer i will be working on making money from nothing. I love this thread it is so inspiring!!!

#42 ·
I don't know if we are allowed to put links on here for referral type things but if you send me your email in a private message I will be happy to give you all the sites I do surveys for. There is quite a list of them.

#45 ·
A friend referred me to this challenge and I must say I'm extremely impressed with what I'm reading. I feel like I already got started on my personal challenge: This week I took some books to a store that will buy used books, cd's, dvd's and got $38. I also just had a garage sale Saturday and I made $200 and will be having another one this weekend at my home. I also have cans to take that people have saved for me.

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to reading alot more!

Ravenhart

#46 ·
I'm working on this too. Going to list a TON of books on half.com, and a bunch of stuff on craigslist as well. Not to mention stuff online. Hits4pay, InboxDollars, AssociatedContent, CashCrate. Plus I have an Etsy store, so there's that as well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.