Frugal Village Forums banner

July grocery challenge

7K views 84 replies 29 participants last post by  Incognito 
#1 ·
Do we have a July grocery challenge yet?

#2 ·
How does it work? I am new to this site and I LOVE it. My husband said I need a 12 step program for it I am so addicted already. Lol. I am very interested in saving money at the grocery store. I am getting more frugal by the day and I love it.

#6 ·
OKay for July my grocery budget is going to be 375 for 4 people and 3 cats. Eventually I want to get it down even farther but I am starting my stockpile so part of my budget is adding to the stockpile. That also includes all toiletries , paper products etc.

#8 ·
Setting $400 for my goal. This is where I want to be and I have been doing quite well. That is for four people, 1 dog, 2 cats, 6 ducks and all HBA products. :)

#9 ·
Ok my goal for the month is £160 :D Not too sure what that equates to in $$$ but it's how I shop, and how I keep track that counts :) The £160 is for 2 people only, all inclusive, including bits and pieces for an upcoming wedding barbeque.

Thanks for starting the challenge thread! My challenge starts now :D

#10 ·
$400 for all food items - includes any eating out also!!

#11 ·
im in my goal is 455 for 6 ppl. im making a list as we type of stock pile items and things i need. i may go threw my cabanits and rework them tonight to see just what i need. but my goal is for 3 adults..me hub and uncle..and 3 sons.shouldnt be too hard as ive been working my stock well and keeping an eye on whats on hand and needs to not run out...

#12 ·
HMMMM....
Mine will be $400 for 4 people (all adults- two teens who swim 10-12 hours per week!0
This will include all meals EXCEPT my trip to Albany for 3 days!

#14 ·
I am in... will shoot for $600 for 2 adults, 5 children, and our dog, plus HBA.

#15 ·
I'm going to go with $350 for the month. This includes a week at the beach for our vacation. We always buy tons of food because we go with the extended family, so it's always more than just the 5 of us that we are feeding. This includes all food, HBA's, paper products, etc.

#18 ·
HBA is health and beauty products...shampoo, toilet paper, kleenex ect. :)

#19 ·
I am in for $550 this month for 4 people. Dh should probably count as 2 though. Also have a big bbq for 4th of July to chip in on. Good luck to everyone!

#21 ·
Well I did my final June shopping today and stayed in my planned budget amount so now my goal is to not go back yto the grocery store for anything significant until at least next friday. Thats 10 days. DH already said if there was anything I needed like milk bread etc. he would pick it up for me . I dont trust myself in the grocery store. If I am there I am afraid I will find all kinds of things I WANT but dont need.

#22 ·
I'm in again this month for 200. I am not sure how I did in June due to a week of camping and having to make an emergency trip to TN the day after we got set up. SO mom passed away...anyway will try it again in July. We are myself, SO and 18 yr old son. This is for food,hba and paper products.

#24 ·
I have to try for a low grocery budget this month and next. I am going to shoot for $200 for two adults and one teen girl. I have a pretty good stockpile going, and I would like to see some of it get used up. I spent $8.08 today (including tax) for:

One gallon of low-fat milk
Two bananas
a can of Hairspray
Store brand detergent for the dishwasher

#25 ·
I'm in for $225 for 2 adults & $75 for pet supplies. We have a family get together later this month & I plan to try several new recipes. So, I'm allowing some room for those purchases. Would like to continue stockpiling sale items to build up the pantry too. Looks like I need some major sales!

#26 ·
Jumping in this one also. Need all the help I can get. Goal is no more than $200 budget for 2 adults and teenage daughter, includes HBA, cleaning supplies, dog food ( small dog ) and stockpiling some on only really good deals. Have a decent stockpile and use from it but don't want to deplete it. Hopefully can go under the $200.

#28 ·
Challenge help

I am new to this site but would like to know how some of these challenges work. I would like to know more specifically about change jar, grocery, actually pretty much everything. I have been looking on the site on how to get started but don't know where to look any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Becky

#30 ·
I am new to this site but would like to know how some of these challenges work. I would like to know more specifically about change jar, grocery, actually pretty much everything. I have been looking on the site on how to get started but don't know where to look any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Becky
Basically, if a particular challenge interests you, you pledge to join and set your goal. Then you read that thread and contribute to it as you work toward your goal. HTH.

My month has started out great. We are heading out of town tomorrow to my parents' beach house, where they pretty much keep us happy and fed. I went to the store this morning to make sure we have some food when we come back home and to take advantage of some sales on chicken and a $10 off purchase of $50 or more coupon.

For $45.40, I got:
11 lbs. of boneless skinless chicken breasts (on sale for 1.99/lb.)
5.3 lbs. of bone in chicken breasts (on sale for .99/lb.)
a package of hotdogs and a package of buns
a package of American cheese ( my daughter loves this, and I had a coupon to get it for 99 cents)
2 gallons of milk
12 sugar-free pudding cups (for my diet) :)
a package of whole wheat tortillas
a head of garlic
lettuce
a seedless watermelon
over two lbs. of cherries
5 lbs. of red potatoes

That is my week's shopping. My next shopping trip will be on Tuesday after we get back from the long weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.