Frugal Village Forums banner

Find some extra money this week

13K views 189 replies 36 participants last post by  jollyquilter 
#1 · (Edited)
I am challenging myself to find $100 by the end this week (I am trying to double my debt snowball for July and this should be a good start). I will apply it towards my debt snowball. I will roll coins, sell books and CDs, i will also be taking stuff to a consignment store. I am not counting the money I will not be paying for daycare/school (although I'd like to :)). I will list some stuff on ebay as well.

Any suggestions would be helpful! We cannot take back cans or bottles as Ohio doesn't take/charge a deposit. Recycling for money is not worth-while for our family due to limited amounts we have plus the the distance to drop it off would be a loss. I have recently lowered my car insurance and cable/phone/internet bundle, so no additional savings there. I am not making excuses, just trying to give you as much information as possible. This is just a quick challenge to find some quick money. Bring on the suggestions and feel free to join in at any dollar value.

Reactions: Sassyclass
#2 ·
So I sold about 30 books yesterday. I was a little disappointed to only get $14 for them :( But, they are out of my house (less clutter!!) and I am up $14. I rough counted my change jar and have about $25 in there. I am going to have to really get creative here to find the additional $60-ish. So, I'll look through some old posts, get some ideas and get to work!

#3 ·
Could you cut your groceries by say $5.00 or your gas by $5.00 Or if you get your hair cut not go this month. Do you have money budgeted for fun you could also cut that by what you feel comfortable. Pet sitting or babysitting for a day or two could bring in some extra cash. Good Luck!!! Keep us posted

Reactions: missyali
#4 ·
well i dont know bout u but i know i found cash yesterday. i decided to go threw some forgotten boxes. and i found back to school stuff in a box market office. so relook at stuff and again make a list n stick to it or do w/o

#5 ·
So, I deposited $59.01 today. I should have gone through my purse a little more thoroughly. I found more change and some bills as well. Oh well. So here's the break down:
$22.05 in change jar,
$14.00 for books,
$22.96 from consignment shop,
$6.00 from Pinecone to add to that. Making the grand total thus far $65.01. I'll go through some CD's tonight and drop them off while I am out tomorrow. I may have to go through the laundry money and start going through jacket pockets as well. :)

#9 ·
So, it's Friday and I haven't found my $100. Final total was $65. Not bad! In my total indecisiveness, I changed my mind to buy mulch for the front flower beds. Then I thought about redoing the dining room chairs. I spend $36 to re-do the chairs, leaving $29 for mulch. Not enough I'm sure. So, I'll just sock that money away and keep pluggin' away to find money for the mulch. Working with children with ADD has really started to wear off on me, as you can tell :)

#10 ·
Hey, you may not have met your goal BUT you found $65. That's $65 you didn't have before. If you do the best you can do that's ALL you can do. Definitely better than losing $65. Congratulations

#12 ·
Great job! $65 extra dollars is alot that you weren't planning on having! Way to go! :)

#13 ·
I'm trying your method this week to see just how well I can do:
Today so far $3.76 in change in the car.
$2.18 in the truck. $6.71 in the bottom of my purse. .73 on the counter next to the washer. $10.00 check in the mail from online survey. That's 23.38 just today.

#14 ·
AWESOME! I was thinking about trying again to see how much I could find this week. I am not super-motivated to drive all over to sell stuff, so I'll maybe focus my efforts on Ebay or Craig'slist.

Keep up the GREAT work, dean!

#15 ·
I think that this will help me focus more on finances, so I am in for the next two weeks, since I will not be getting a paycheck until then 7/20 and am now cash strapped. I'm going to set my goal at $200 and see what happens!!

Great idea Missyali!! Mahalo!!

#16 ·
Gave a friend a ride to grocery store today, because her car died a long time ago, she gave me $10 for gas. (I didn't want it but she insisted and shoved it into my purse.) I figured I was going anyway, but I'll count it as found money. Took aluminum cans to the recycle center and got $21 more. Dropped of 2 pair of jeans to a girl I work with that I had hemmed for her. $5 there. That's $36 today added to my 23.38 from yesterday-59.38

#18 ·
Great way to start the week Dean!!

Reactions: dean
#21 ·
and think how clean our homes would be!!

I am still tutoring this summer and never know when I will get paid - so don't know if this counts or not - but I got $90.45 today!!

#23 ·
So true - it tis extra for me!! Can't wait to find some more!!!

#24 ·
Great job everyone! I love the excitement of this thread. LEt mom use my washer and dryer-hers is acting up. She gave me $5

#25 ·
Yeah moms!! That was kind of her!!

#26 ·
This morning before DH left for work, I made him clean out his pockets of all the loose change. $3.18 plus I was ironing some capris last night, that I had worn when we went to visit DDs last month. No I don't iron that often. And I found a $5 bill and a $1 bill folded up in the pocket. Yes, I must have washed them. So far today $9.18. That makes $68.56 total, so far this week.
I'm going to be doing some major decluttering today before the company arrives for the weekend shower, so who knows what I might find. DH also said he has some aluminum stashed behind the shed that I can take to the recycle center, but I don't really want to make that trip since I went yesterday with the cans.

#27 ·
I was trying to post on this last night, but got the FV is under maintenance message. I wanted to say this is SUCH a great thread. I've got a bunch going on right now, but I may try to do this soon.

#30 ·
I'm in the process of selling clothes. I am purging my closet after a 50 pound loss!!! :cheer4:

#31 ·
You should be cheering - that's so terrific!! Are you at your goal? Hope you get lots of $s for your clothes so you can buy new ones!!

Reactions: ArmyOfFive4God
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.