Frugal Village Forums banner

What does everyone save their change jar money for? Anything particular?

4K views 47 replies 47 participants last post by  monkeywrangler71 
#1 ·
I just joined this challenge and as I was posting I wondered what everyone saved their change up for? Anything in particular? I'm not sure yet but know it will either be emergency or debt reduction. What is everyone saving for?

#3 ·
We just restarted ours. Used to use for emergencies when my boyfriend didn't have much work, but now that we are both working full time, it is our vacation $...trying to go on a cruise later this year...

Reactions: NikoSan999
#4 ·
In the past, we saved our change and bought ceiling fans for every room in the house with great light fixtures.

Before we closed on our house, we rolled all of our change and were prepared to take it to the bank if we were too broke after closing on the house. Because of careful planning, budgeting, saving, city grant money for 1st time home buyers, etc. we weren't broke and didn't need the money. We put it in savings - almost $500.

We currently take change from the change jar when we go to garage sales and estate sales. If we don't spend it there, it goes back in the jar when we get home.

We bought my used Excalibur dehydrator with change - $125.

#6 ·
We kick off the winter holiday season the weekend before Thanksgiving. About 25 friends and family gather at our house to have roast beef, yorkshire pudding, mince pie, and all the other traditional trimmings. Favorite foods are brought in, (DDILmakes a great spinach casserole). Some gifts are exchanged because not everybody is going to see one another during the holidays. We have a "grab bag" of scratch-off lottery tickets. We watch "How the Grinch Stole Christmas", visit with one another, play with the kids' toys. Those who play musical instruments (even a kazoo) jam on the backporch if the weather is cooperative, in the house if not. It's fun, it's noisy. and everybody has a good time. Come October, I'm always asked "Are we going to have Thanksmas this year?"
That's mostly financed by the change jar. One year we even had some money left over to start the next year's jar.

#11 ·
Funny you should mention this...we're going to the bank tomorrow to cash ours in. We use it for vacation spending money each year. :)

#17 ·
Last year I used it toward Christmas gifts, we were able to purchase gifts for my dd's dance team, her teachers & the kids used it to purchase gifts for each other.
This year I am saving it toward our trip to ocean city in the summer of 2010. DD dances in a competition there every 3 years, for some reason they put the competition during prime vacation season (obviously they aren't thinking frugally, lol) . I'm hoping to have enough for our food while we are there.

#18 ·
Right now ours goes into a 5 gallon water bottle and will be the first deposit into DD college fund in the fall.

#19 ·
it's just me and there's not a lot because i use my debit card for everything. when i get a bowlful, i use that machine in the lobby of the grocery store coinstar, and use the ticket to pay for groceries.

#20 ·
to get my embroidery machine repaired = last year it went to the repair shop twice because I was running it too hard and dear sweet hubby never said a word. So yeah, I did it again so I will pay for the repair and have been using older machine until I can pay for my mistake. Only 40 more dollars to go!!

#21 ·
I use mine twice a year for debt reduction.

#22 ·
I just coinstarred my quart-size change jar and got $30.30 off of it! Not bad considering it wasn't really full. I was just concerned I might need it this week, since unemployment redtape is slowing me down a little. I may use a little of it to put gas in the car, but otherwise the money, now in paper form, is still sitting in the jar, along with all the nickels the coinstar machine didn't accept.

#26 ·
last year my mom and I spent $100 on black eyed peas (from the farmers market)...this year we decided to spend only $50 from our regular budget and we would match what we save in the jar....it's almost time to count....

#27 ·
I don't have a change jar, but I have a 'found money' jar: money found on the street or in the sofa. I used to empty it once a year and usually it was enough to buy me a ticket to a proper play or concert. Nowadays, this found money goes into dd's piggy bank. (fingers crossed it won't get swine flu!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.