Frugal Village Forums banner

one trip a week to grocery store

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Jayceef 
#1 ·
It's not me......my dh loves to go to the grocery store. He'll go to pick up something and you know the story, other things just jump in that cart to come to our house. So, this week I've challenged him to stay out of the grocery stores until next Friday!!!

We spend too much on food. This has got to STOP. Wish us luck!

#2 ·
Good luck. If you have a meal plan and a list it gets much easier to not "need" anything midweek.

#3 ·
take the challenge of every two week shopping. freeze the bread and milk. I dare ya! :)

when i did this my budget really came together, along with meal planning and shopping with a calculator to keep a running total.

Reactions: vlmurray
#7 ·
Good luck! I've started aiming for a once a week grocery spend. Trust me, it's rather hard. The best way to stay focused is make a list. If you notice that you're going to or have run out of something add it to a list and tell yourself you'll buy it the next time to go grocery shopping. There are usually alternatives to things you need.

#8 ·
Your original post was on Friday. Today is Tuesday. How is DH
doing? Did he make it through the weekend?

I can't imagine being addicted to the grocery store as I hate
grocery shopping so much. If you lived near me, I could pay
him to do MY grocery shopping! lol Maybe that would get it
out of his system. :toothy:

#10 ·
hahahaha I've many friends ask if he could do their shopping, cause he is good, he made it through the weekend!!! And we added a just in case clause to our challenge. If the items is on the list and you would like to pay for it out of your own money...... go for it!

My ideas are working - we'll be paying off our camper 1 1/2 yrs early.

So, he's coming around.....and man did we make a great grocery list out of fear that we would need/want something....:teddy2:

#12 ·
Good luck! I've done two trips in one DAY sometimes, because I leave the store and realize that I forgot something that was so obvious that I left it off the list! :D I try for once a week or less. I don't really hate shopping for groceries, but it is definitely something I consider a chore. Now having to haul everything up a flight of stairs and put it away is another story!

#13 ·
Good luck, we try for once every ten days. Milk is always the determining factor. The problem is the less times we go the more you have to handle at a time. I hate putting up groceries.

#14 ·
OK, I gotta admit....I have the BEST dh ever!!!! due to my severe RA in the knees (getting knee replacements next year) he shops, brings the groceries in, and puts them away. He also has always washed his own clothes, vacumns and mops.
Has God blessed me? Oh Yes!

#15 ·
We live far from town so we've become quite adept at planning our grocery shopping (and other errands, for that matter). It's become a game. Okay, I'll admit that I hate grocery shopping, too, so that's added motivation to plan well, and to keep a well-stocked pantry at home.

As mentioned, though, milk is the troublespot: I've tried freezing it, but the fam swears they can taste a difference. The solution: better planning on my part (or at least, an attempt at it :) ) -- and an agreeable DH who will stop and pick up a gallon or two when he's in town.

#17 ·
Hey glad you posted on this. We have the same problem. DH and I go once a week to one of the larger grocery stores. He is a very impatient shopper and is always rushing me. If I don't have a list and get it as fast as possible I always miss something. So the last two months I have written down every penny we spend and itemized it into categories. Groceries is way over the limit we wanted to spend. So we are going to try to cut back. Now if I could get Dh to just sit in the car when I go in that would be great. Otherwise it is small trips to the little grocery store in our town which is way overpriced.

Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.