Frugal Village Forums banner

December 2009 $25 Grocery Challenge

10K views 112 replies 29 participants last post by  qsaver704 
#1 ·
There has been interest in the 2008 challenge thread that some would like to have this challenge again this year.

If so Sara can we make this a sticky please

The challenge is to spend $25 per week per person or If you have a well stocked pantry and freezer you can lower your total.

This is to help save money and use up what you have in your pantry and freezer and start fresh in the new year.

If you want to join just post what your total per family member will be.

I am going to do $40 per week and there are 4 of us in the household. So $10 per person per week.

I have a very well stocked freezer and pantry. So will mainly be buying dairy and produce.

Reactions: piney
#2 ·
When are we starting? I want in. I have 3 in my home and 1 away at college. Am I to include the my college daughter only during the vacation time? I try to buy things she needs for college as she is a vegetarian and our cultural foods from Mexico.

#4 ·
If you want to include her that is up to you.
This is more of a personal challenge for everyone to lower there grocery bill and use up what you have in the freezer/pantry. You may need to get creative with your meals to use up all of the odd things lingering in the back of the pantry or freezer.

It starts December 1st

Glad to have you aboard!

#9 ·
I am in for $25. a week, was going up my grocery budget for December on account of making candies, and cooking for Christmas but will try not go over.

#10 ·
I would like to join in also. I will try for $20. There are three of us, so $80 a month. I have already bought some of my extra Christmas supplies. I have FULL cabinets and freezers too. I should be good to go.

#13 ·
I'm in...there are 3 of us so $60 per week @ $240 for the month... this is going to include a low - budget Christmas dinner.

#16 ·
Just 2 days to go.
Need to do inventory and meal planning in the next couple of days.
I already have the meat for Christmas and there will only be 4 of use here so not much extra buying for that day.
I do need to stock up on WW and White flour if it goes on sale in December as I am running low on both of them.

#19 ·
My goal is to spend $25 or less for the entire month. I have a large stockpile, and only one mouth to feed. I have gone over my budget for the past two months due to having company, so I plan to cut back to try to salvage the year's budget.

Reactions: nuisance26
#23 ·
I'm in. I have a pretty large stockpile so I don't think I'll have to buy much this month. I'm going to aim for $10 for the whole month which will probably be spent on one gallon of milk and any sales I can't pass up. I'll be shopping for just myself.

#24 ·
well, so far the beginning of Dec. has been a good and bad start. Good: breakfast was a box of frozen pastries that I bought months ago, lunch consisted of frozen turkey left overs and a bag of rice/veggie mix that has been in the freezer for a while.
Bad: I ran out of milk last night.

I haven't shopped since 11/23.

#25 ·
Well i have spent $82.00 today. Now this includes some stockpile items and i am in for $100.00. Now saying that i am leaving to go to my parents for Christmas from 12/17/09-01/04/2010. This amount does not include eating out the day I fly out. I am hoping to have no-eat out days until i leave.

#26 ·
I spent $48.00 today as our IGA store I'd having a $1.00 sale going on and I needed to stockup on some meat..so I bought the following:: 15# of Chicken breast....10# of Hamburger....5 packages of English muffins....5 half gallons of Orange juice...and 1 gallon of Bleach....Hands down a darn good deal for the money!

#27 ·
No money spent today!!
I have only bought a gallon of milk some apples and oranges since last Wed.
Will need to get a few items in the next couple of day for sure.
I only have a 1/2 gallon of milk left.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.