Frugal Village Forums banner

January 2010 $25 Weekly Grocery Challenge

13K views 193 replies 49 participants last post by  NikoSan999 
#1 ·
Anyone wanting to do the $25 weekly grocery challenge in January?

The $25 is per person in your household.
It does not have to be $25, it can be what works for your family. But try and make it lower than what you spend now.

I am doing my $2010 in 2010 for household expenses so need to keep my budget to less than $40 a week. This is for 3 adults and 1 teen. So I am doing $10 per person per week.

#2 ·
I'm in. I think this is an interesting challenge.

This week I'm not shopping at all, but starting next week, I'm utterly devoted to work on our grocery budget. We got lazy in 2009...plain and simple.

I'm going to start with $25 week per person, which will be $125 per week, as we are a family of five. The reason I am doing $25 a week to begin is because ds2 is $25 a week on his own with just his Pull-Ups. Once this boy gets potty trained, I'm going to look toward lowering the amount per person, per week. But, until then, I'm starting with $25.

Great challenge, great idea!

:idea: :clap:

#3 ·
Amy - do you count his pull-ups in with your grocery monies? Seems like you may be short changing yourself - or forcing yourself to be very creative - which you already are!!

DH will be gone for over two weeks in January - during that time I want to see how little I can eat for. For us, it always comes down to planning - and then following the plan!!

#4 ·
mauimagic...I do count the Pull-Ups in the grocery money.

My grocery budget includes diapers, wipes, shampoo, toothpaste, toilet paper, paper towels, aluminum foil, etc. I do all of my shopping at ShopRite, once a week, on Sundays. So, it's all food, health and beauty products, paper products, etc.

It's just kind of how I've always done it. :)

Reactions: nadine64
#5 ·
I'm in at the $25 per person. 3 people. I'm actually shooting for $10 per person or total of $30 per week.

#6 ·
I'll try, too! Since I am doing the freezer/pantry challenge there should be weeks that I can bank extra. Good challenge! Thanks for posting it!

#7 ·
I really need to try this. We(that's the problem)spend way too much on groceries for people not home all day. I've been trying to use what we have for the past several months and it's been going pretty good. A little more planning would help along with better use of leftovers.
I see that there are 5 weekends in January.I think $250 is plenty for 2 adults for a month.

#8 ·
I'm in. January needs to be a quiet month for us so we can start saving for our summer trips. It will be $50 for the two of us each week but I am allowing myself an extra $20 when necessary to stock up on meat department deals.

#9 ·
I plan to continue using up freezer inventory in January, so I am aiming for $50 for groceries for the entire month, including anything I find at a good price to add to the stockpile.

#10 ·
I would like to try this, I have 4 people so $100 per week to start, this doesnt include cat food for right now. I dont have to buy meat so I might be able to cut it in half.

#12 ·
I'm in again. I'm also doing the pantry/freezer challenge, so I'm not budgeting my normal $400. I hope to do it for $300 this month. I have $25 left over from this month and a gift certificate from a local grocery store, so I only put $300 in the grocery envelope.

#13 ·
I'm in for 80.00 per week. We are 2 adults and 2 toddlers. I also count the diapers, shampoos and all that in the price. We usually spend around 100.00 per week. I will try to do my groceries every 2 week instead of weekly, maybe that will help. I do have a birthday party to include in that though. Hope I can make it.

#14 ·
I'm in! I'm going to start with $20/per person; this gives me $80/week, not including pet food, they need their own budget at this point!

Good luck everyone! May the coupons be plentiful!!

#16 ·
Amy, I hear you on the diapers/pull ups!! I have a DS that is nearly 3 years old and I can't seem to get him to potty!!

I am doing the freezer/pantry challenge also, so I will keep it to $10 per person per week. I will keep it here and TRY DESPERATELY to get DS out of the diapers we currently have. $30 a week=$120 in January

#19 ·
As scary as it sounds, I'm going to have to shoot for $75.00 a week for a family of 5, 3 dogs and a bunny. My husband is out of work right now, so this is the way it HAS to be. My MIL helps out now and then (she lives with us) and our 18 yr doesn't eat here much anymore, so I can make it with some creativity.

#20 ·
I better join too.
Goal is $ 50 a week or less, family of 2.
I know I can do it for $ 40 but the extra $ 10 is going to be for sales, and stockpiling. It's best to keep that cushion in place.

#21 ·
Count me in! I'm planning on $60 per week for two adults and one toddler--this includes diapers, formula, food...everything! All leftovers will be put in savings!

#23 ·
I am in!!!

I did pretty good in Dec... considering it is the holidays.

#25 ·
I went shopping today, but since I had Dec. money left over I still counted towards Dec. I am excited to know that I did $25 a person for Dec., had money left over, and bought most of my groceries for the first week of Jan.!!!

#26 ·
I will join.

This will be my first time every trying this. I got two new cookbooks today. Dollars to Donuts and Feed your family for $75 a month. I am hoping the recipes will help.

This should be fun. Knowing I have to tell everyone if I blow it will keep me on track..lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.