2010 Grocery Budget Reduction Challenge
Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 2010 Grocery Budget Reduction Challenge

I have been spending a lot on groceries every month. Partly, it is because I include all items that I purchase, including cleaning supplies and such, in my grocery budget; partly, it is because I buy a lot of organic produce; partly, it is because I am not as careful as I could be about buying things on sale, comparing prices, etc.

So my challenge to myself is to work on that third part and to reduce my grocery spending by $15 every month. If I can reduce it every month, that will be close to 1/3 by the end of the year, which should take care of that third part of why my grocery budget is so high!

In 2008, I spent well over $500 in groceries every month. When I started this challenge in 2009, I started at a budget of $600/month, and reduced it by $15/month. By the end of the year, I was coming in below my monthly budgets by a wide margin. Even in December, which was my most expensive month, due to Christmas, I came in $3.00 under my budget of $400 for the month.

The challenge continues in 2010. I have reduced my monthly grocery allowance by another $15 this month, so it is at $385/month right now, and I hope to get it down even further!

Anyone else game to try to carve a little fat off of those meat and potatoes?
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have to get back to my Amish store. My work hours changed and it's hard to get there on the weekends. I will start with $10 a month and see how that works. I also include everything.

Cat
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in. In 2009 I joined this challenge and reduced my budget from $500 a month to $400. This year, instead of reducing the monthly totoal, I would like to reduce my yearly total.
    2009: $4,800
    2010 goal: $4,000
    Wife to DH 10/19/2002

Mom to DS#1: 05/24/2004
    Mom to DS#2: 02/17/2006

Debt
    Car: $4,300
    Kitchen Remodel: $5,300
    Medical: $4,050

Christmas 2012 fund:$1500/$1500
    2012 Fling: 1354/2012

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in.

I updated my blog with my grocery goal and with my first shop of the New Year, but I will track my progress here, as well. I'm doing $20 a week, per person, which is $100 a week, but I'm going to need to do an average at the end of the month, as I stock up during sales, so it may not be $20 per person per week each week. The first week will probably be more, but the rest of the weeks should be less.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in. I've gotten in for the last maybe 3 months however never met goal by quite a bit. I was shooting for 6 months stockpile by the end of 2009 and due to great sales and coupons took advantage of all I could use. Unrealistically I thought I could do both which would have probably worked but I was myself working on a deadline. Things are going to tighten up here this month drastically so stockpile in place I'm doing this again.

I'm shooting for $25 to $30 a week but with a little leeway for replacement for some stuff to stretch out a little longer. So monthly goal will be no more than $150. This will include everything grocery, HBA, dog etc.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon Sales Challenge/August
    $

Coupons for Year / $745.54

August/ Grocery
    /Goal $175.00 Total

Groceries for Year minus Jan & Feb
    $504.98

Eat Out No More Sept
    Goal 20
    Accomp/12

No Spend Challenge
    Goal 10
    Accomp/6

Change Jar 2014
    $

Christmas Fund 2014
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Count me in! I bombed last year, but I'm still up to the challenge. My goal is to get my grocery budget down to an average of $50.00 per week before the end of 2010!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in for $20/per person; so $80/week. this does not include pet needs. I really need to make them get a p/t job.

so far so good, I used a $50 gift card from xmas to grocery shop today, and I'm still under for the week. woohooo
    Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Pets Die

married 19 yrs to my
    mom to big J (18)
    mom to little j (11)
    Zena Cherry Max Lilly Chianti

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in! I fell off the wagon with tracking monthly spending, I just know that we were spending way too much on groceries... just buying whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted. My monthly goal is $300 for two adults and a two-year old. I will work to accomplish it by taking out $300 cash at the beginning of the month and making it last for the entire month, no credit cards... if the money runs out, we go on rice and beans!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in again. My budget is set for $400 per month.
    Sept No Spend Days - 7 /20
    2014 No Eat Out Days - 224 /365
    2014 Sept Gas Challenge - $68.50 / $120
    Sept Keep Fit - 825 min / 900 min

Don't tell God how big your storm is...tell the storm how big your God is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Haven't spent anything yet, but my grocery list is getting longer!!
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in on this as well. My grocery budget was about $80 Per month for DBF and I the last two years, but this year I want to reduce it to $5 per person per week. So that's $40 a month, $520 for this year. Should be interesting...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in! My grocery expenses last year worked out to ~$360CAD/mth. for two adults. We eat healthy...with some organic. But we also were doing a lot of last minute junk food runs too. The dessert and processed foods section of our expenses was over $200 last year. I think we can lower that.

Plus I haven't been buying bulk, mega-cooking, and freezing extra meals. Think I'll start doing that. It will make it much easier on DH for lunches for work.

I'm still analyzing my grocery receipts from last year to see exactly where we spent and where I can cut back. Will post when I come up with some solutions to the situation...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a huge stockpile but never seem to be able to anticipate how far it will really go. I am going to Aldi and Kroger for 1 big shop and then I want to do $80. or less per week. This doesn't incl. pets but it does incl. hygiene/cleaning products.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My grocery bill is groceries only...no paper or pet or household supplies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in.

I'm trying to figure out how to set up my "grocery" budget. In the past groceries have included food, paper, cleaning, pets, school and clothes. I have spent $200-250 a week on all. DH wants it all down to $100 a week. I'm not sure that is possible given what all "grocery" includes.

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast