Frugal Village Forums banner

If you had $500 to throw into stockpile items what would you purchase..

3K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  frugalwarrior2 
#1 ·
Income tax return will be coming in around the end of the month...i file online and it takes roughly 7 -10 days for it to come back...I will be filing as soon as possible.

I have decided to take $500 of it and put directly into stockpile items...what would you do?

Thanks!

i love this site.. it is so helpful...

#2 ·
How many in your household? Adults, children? Are you big meat eaters? Do you eat family meals or on the run? Do you cook from scratch, or use a lot of packaged foods?

If I was starting from scratch, with no stockpile I would go for one of those butcher shop meat deals (be careful to only get cuts you will use and ask for substitutions if possible) and then add pantry items like canned tomatoes, canned fruit varieties we like, canned beans of various kinds, etc. Probably a big bag of rice, too. A lot would depend on what bargains were to be had. I wouldn't buy a case of canned tomatoes at regular price, just to have them in the stockpile, I'd get whatever canned item we use regularly that was on sale at the time.

Think about what kind of pantry meals you can make and plan accordingly, buy all the non-perishable ingredients to have on hand for quick dinners.

Keep expiration dates in mind. Boxed mixes like cake and brownies have leaveners which go flat so you don't want to store a lot of those for a long time.

#3 ·
I do this every fall.
I end up w/ about $2000. of stockpile by Dec.

I plan on no less than a years worth of everything
Aldis,meijers,big lot,a couple of local lost leaders and kroger
Scan ads by the computer,most are online weekly.

-18 to 24 jars of sauce $1.09 x 24=
-12 cans corn,peas,green beans,mixed veg. and brown beans
-3 doz. asst. pasta (spaghetti,penne,egg noodle,seashell)
-12 cans-pineapple,peaches,pears,mixed
-asst. pie fillings
I have 6 shelving units I keep. All things are purchased in quantity according to what we will eat. I have been building to this over a ten year period.
See the pantry pictures. They willhelp you. MY favorite book is " From pantry to Table" by Marlena Spieler. It details beginners,intermediate and Advanced pantries. I used this as a strting guide. We live in a cold climate and I will NOT haul loads of groceries in the winter. Also the BEST sales are usually in the fall. Much info is in this sight. Think in MEALS. What do I need to make a weeks worth.

#14 ·
what she said! this is exactly what i do. a dozen of everything, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, stewed tomatoes, chick peas, etc...

#4 ·
YES
It is a system. You must rotate. If you start too large you will end up wasting food. I ,even, after 10 years end up donating around xmas to charities. Peoples tastes do change too.
Make sure you have a place to store the food where you can see what you've got at a glance. Maybe take some of the money and buy a 5 shelf unit??

#5 ·
Make a plan, buy in bulk what you use regularly, and stockpile whatever won't spoil or expire before you use it.

But don't be in a hurry; good things come to those who wait.
Put the money in a special account; then draw from it to build up your stockpile whenever the deals are at their best. Learn the flyers, and the sales rotations, stock up on coupons, shop with strategy. At the end of your $500, you'll have a lot to show for it.
Do you have a freezer? If not, put money into that, or better yet, get a good, used one at a reliable estate sale. Watch for the bargains that are coming up in the stores, January clearances when the stores are lowering their prices to clear inventory or increase their sales. Wait for the Easter holidays for some of the better sale prices. When the right time comes to get the most out of your money, go on some shopping expeditions and Happy Hunting and Harvesting.

#6 ·
Only what you will eat, not just because it's on sale or cheap. Do you have a store/stores that do BOGO? Glean what you can from that coupled with coupons if possible. When my store has a beyond normal BOGO sale, with the coupons I use, If the total of the groceries are $150 before the frees and coupons then after it is about $60 to $75. This is also including my everyday groceries, not all stockpiling by a long shot. For $500 in a 6 week period I would have about $1500 at least in food for stockpile alone.

Reactions: Incognito
#8 ·
I agree that if you don't have a freezer, that would be my first suggestion.

After that, I agree, watch for sales. But with that large a "windfall" I would earmark a good bit for the more expensive items like meat, cheese, nuts, OTC medications, etc. The rice and canned goods on sale usually won't wreck a budget, but if you want 6 packages of chicken or almonds on sale, that can add up.

The idea to get some shelving, if you don't have any and have room for it, is good. Items out of sight or scattered around are harder to keep up with.

#9 ·
Think about what you will use MOST of and buy some of that....

Some meat - depending on how much you eat. ..if you can't eat it up in 6 months it could be freezer burned. MORE SO if you have a frost free freezer!!

Other 'staples' that you use a lot of.........ON SALE!

Find good sales and stock up on things that won't spoil, have a chance of getting bugs, or not be used up by exp. date. Paper products, depending on what you use.........tp, paper towels, napkins, baggies, paper plates, etc. Analyze what you use, how much, etc. Then watch for sales! Know your prices so you will recognize a good sale as opposed to just a lower price.

Like previous poster said ---IF YOU WOULD USE IT --a dehydrator, air tight storage (although a straw does pretty good).......forget it if it is going to sit on the shelf.

#11 ·
Thank you for all your help.....

I do have a freezer and we raised our own pig this past year so I have alot of pork which we really have not been eating but because I am trying to stay to $100 weekly budget for groceries I have started using it... Have a roast in the crockpot all day today and will have it tomorrow for supper. We also have a dehydrator...what can do u guys use this for. We use ours for making beef jerky.. dh is makes the best beef jerky passed down from a dear friend that is now no longer with us.... We have started eating more healthy and not buying the premade stuff because of all the preservatives in it...so dh who likes to cook.. God bless him... has made cookies and bread the last couple of days and the bread actually came out really well..

#12 ·
$500... to spend on a stockpile??? :cloud9:

I would seriously invest some of it on storage items, doesn't matter how much I have if I'm sharing them with buggies.

(Now, I am going to pretend I have a regular size fridge and not a college dorm one -- don't ask) I would buy meat in bulk, separate some of it up, tag, bag, and toss in the freezer.

I would also buy some of the #10 canned items from the survival sites -- but only things I would eat anyways. I can't do that type of canning myself.

Veggies, flour, sugar, yeast

Borax, Zote and Washing Soda (for my laundry soap)
HBA products

Even after all that, I am not sure I could spend the full $500 :lol:

#15 ·
Toilet Paper
Paper Towel
Paper Plates
Laundry Soap
Canned goods
Pasta, rice and the like
Condiments
Sugar
Coffee
Hot Chocolate
Creamer
Canned cat food...not for human consumption LOL
Kitty Litter

#22 ·
This is me as well. If I had NOTHING stockpiled I would buy a couple of duplicates when doing my regular shopping but mostly I would streatch the money over the sales in the next SEVERAL up coming weeks. What I stocked up on would have to do with what I use more of AND the sales.

#18 ·
Yes... going to look for the deals...

Yesterday i went to a store and they had the asian sensatons that normally run 3.69 3.99 a box on sale for $1.... dh loves these and I know that they are not natural but for $1 a box i couldn't pass them up as they made dh very happy......the good part is each box has a coupon inside for .75 off your next purchase... so .25 a box is even better than $1 a box... needless to say i stocked up so you are correct when you say watch the deals and it will go really far....

Reactions: NikoSan999
#19 ·
I've been doing some thinking on this.
I think I would start with first aid supplies: Bandages, alcohol, saline solution, tylenol, etc.

Then I'd move on to Canning supplies: Jars, lids, rings, etc.

Then of course my most important prep: Toilet Paper!

#20 ·
Flour
Sugar
Beans
Rice
Coffee
HB aids
Pasta
Broths
Beans
Peanut butter
Meat

#21 · (Edited)
mandaRenee-Check out estate sales and garage sales. When older relatives pass people are often overloaded w/ things like this. I bought a case (100ish for $5.) 4x4's and 4x6's. These are outrageous at stores. $$ stores are excellent places to get Ace bandaids, alcohol,witch hazel,small bandaids,hydrogen peroxide and cue tips. Make a small portable first aid kit in a shaving kit bag for under the car seat. Get a clear storage tub and put it at the top of a closet. Make a larger first aid kit in a back pack preferably clear. All kits should have a small lighter,tweezers, a pocket knife,a flashlight,Emery boards for splints,medical tape,small alcohol prep wipes,burn creme/first aid cream,cortizone or anti itch creme. We keep a bee kit too but it's prescription. Benadryl is a good substitute. It wouldn't hurt to keep tylenol and feminine hygiene too. We keep those silver solar blankets in there too.

I have to reevaluate my pantry yearly. This year I realized a can of peaches feed 1-2 people not 4. And 24 jars of tomato sauce is 6 mo. not 12. Adjust as you go. I am going to plan for 5 adults. We have 4 people but boy teens eat more. Also I forgot to acct. for friends of teens. Last year I added 10% for waste and spillage. Dogs around here get way too much people food on the holidays too.

I forgot to mention I keep batteries. Some hidden from the kids.Just don't forget to rotate them. I also keep winding radios and winding flashlights. Safer than candles w/ pets and sm. kids.

#28 ·
mandaRenee-Check out estate sales and garage sales. When older relatives pass people are often overloaded w/ things like this. I bought a case (100ish for $5.) 4x4's and 4x6's. These are outrageous at stores. $$ stores are excellent places to get Ace bandaids, alcohol,witch hazel,small bandaids,hydrogen peroxide and cue tips. Make a small portable first aid kit in a shaving kit bag for under the car seat. Get a clear storage tub and put it at the top of a closet. Make a larger first aid kit in a back pack preferably clear. All kits should have a small lighter,tweezers, a pocket knife,a flashlight,Emery boards for splints,medical tape,small alcohol prep wipes,burn creme/first aid cream,cortizone or anti itch creme. We keep a bee kit too but it's prescription. Benadryl is a good substitute. It wouldn't hurt to keep tylenol and feminine hygiene too. We keep those silver solar blankets in there too.

Thanks so much for the response. I have bought several boxes of jars at yard sales. I haven't been canning long but I love yard sales so I remembered seeing them there. It really helped make it reasonable. When I was at my grandmothers she was teaching me how to can and we had to buy several cases...ouch. It adds up quickly when you have to do that. Of course it was more than worth it for the memories of me and my dd canning with my grandmother. :cheer4:

I need to replenish the emergency kit in the truck. It really needs to be redone. Thanks for the reminder and for our household emergency kits. I know I need to update the change of clothes in there for dd. lol She is growing so fast there is no doubt it needs to be bigger/longer pants.

I used to do a really good job with keeping my preps/stockpiles/emergency kits organized and up to date. It was easier when we lived in a bigger house and had room to store everything. Of course we've moved 4 times since then and have much less room now. The financial issues we've been facing have had me put everything on hold but the preps saved us during this time. There were lots of things we didn't have to buy and it saved us. I am so thankful for that. My big spring project is to reorganize the little entry room at our back door (where the washer and dryer is) and make room to start stockpiling again and organize everything.

#23 ·
i forgot to say i include meats in my storage

dozen of each:

canned roast beef
canned tuna
canned breast of chicken
canned salmon
spam
corned beef
corned and roast beef hash (mary kitchen)
underwood deviled ham
dried chipped beef
dinty moore beef stew

#25 ·
a would get a deep freezer or a used fridge to put in the laundry/garage for non-essentials that could be stored elsewhere and make more room in my kitchen fridge. Maybe some food grade buckets, too. Storage is our biggest problem. We don't have enough and have to pass up some deals because we have no way to keep it.

#26 ·
I would first sit down and make a list of things you use on a regular basis, both food and non-food items. It's easier to know what to buy if you know what you use! Include everything to make those favorite meals too, salt, spices, etc. Then you have a stockpile list! Then figure how many you use of each in a month and then you can multiply that by however many months you want to stockpile for.

I agree with putting the money away and buying slowly and what is on sale. For me part of the fun of having a stockpile is knowing that I didn't pay full price for it! Maybe buy enough of everything at first for two weeks, then slow down and only buy on sale!

I stockpile.......

Canned veggies and fruits
Canned soups
Canned pumpkin
Canned tuna, salmon
Peanut butter
Canned kidney beans
Dried beans
Pasta
Spaghetti sauce along with canned tomatoes(sauce, paste, diced)
Hamburger Helper meals
Flour
Sugar
Spices
Salt

Shampoo
Razors
Soap/bodywash
Toilet Paper!
Deodorants

#29 ·
Beware of yard sale jars. Before using put in soapy hot water to check for cracks. Take a soapy finger and run it around the lip of the jar watching for bubbles and chips. I prefer to get new ones. Constant reuse weakens the glass. Big lot will have Golden Harvest canning jar in the spring/fall for a good price. They're not Kerr or Ball but still. I haven't canned in years but I used to make killer cinnamon cherry jam (traverse city cherries) and garlic dill hot pepper pickles. Too much work now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.