Frugal Village Forums banner

Help me with my sneaky fingers please!!

1K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Suprise 
#1 · (Edited)
I am doing so good on budget and not spending friviously but when it comes to this wonderful world of the internet, THAT'S A DIFFERENT STORY!!! Just the click of a button and my money leaves my account. I'm shopping for used clothes for my kids and think "oh it's only $5... or $9.... what can that hurt?" Well typically it wouldn't but lately I'm doing it more and more! I just checked my account and have spent over $100 since Christmas!! How do you guys not spend money on the internet? It's so easy, LOL! I need ideas and help how not too? I have to get it under control before I just keep clicking.......

P.S. I think it must be something psychological. If I see it in a store I say no can't spend the money, but until I get it in my hands I spend the money!

#2 ·
I went through this w/ Ebay when it first came out. I saw childhood treasures and xmas mangers and the thrill of bidding. You have to psychologically pair the money w/ something else. My kids are teens and things get left around and damaged. I envision this before i purchase it and it stops me. Also, I say well theres $5. more away from... what ever big thing you need. $100. a month is $1200. a year that a really primo new frige,almost 2 52" panasonic plasma tvs???

#5 ·
Stay away from the shopping sites and stay on Frugal Village! :D
Seriously, staying on here keeps me out of the stores and off online shopping. I did the same thing with Ebay and daughters clothes a couple years ago. I know the "only $5" feeling. Until one round everything was delivered within a couple days of each other . Then it was like "WOW!!! " I quit.

#4 ·
Put pictures of my avatar all around your monitor.

Cause you keep this up, and I WILL come smack you upside yo head!

Reactions: mamamia and Libby
#10 ·
I really like this idea! I may just take magazines and start searching for picture of Italy since were visiting in 5 more years!! I can't wait, but really how long can I stay motivated I will feel like forever.

Thank you all for your comments. I actually always come here but it's usually right AFTER I buy something I just need to make an effort and do it BEFORE! I know I need to stay away from "those" sites and my DH doesn't help. I say I really want this, then get it! He never says no to me so I needed someone to SAY IT! (THANKS GREEBO, LOL!) I gotta keep focus :) Sometimes it's just one of those things it's "alot easier said then done"!

#12 ·
You could take an average of what you spend a week or months..whatever...and put it in a separate account or jar for going earlier...for extra spending/enjoyment money when you get there...in other words put THAT money towards Italy in some fashion.

#13 ·
My trick is no where near as god as the others, but it works for me.

First, for me it wasn't what I was buying but the fact that I was getting a present in the mail. So I started going to the freestuff web sites and getting free things in the mail.

Second, I made myself a deal. For anything new to come in, I must throw something old away.

#14 ·
Sneaky fingers? I like that, never thought to blame my internet purchases on my fingers before LOL! I window shop on the net all the time, do price comparisons and what not.

You said that you are on a budget and don't spend frivolously...so if the $100 you spent on used clothes is within your budget I'd say you are within your boundries. However, if it wasn't budgeted...then you have an issue.

In the mean time stop going to these sites until you can teach your fingers to behave themselves...

#15 ·
Haha you make me think of myself although I don't perchase clothes but birthday presents 6 months in advance. I then think after I bought the gifts that I could have bought it later and put that money on my credit card instead and save on interest. I need to practice dicipline aswell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.