Frugal Village Forums banner

2010 Barefoot Life Challenge (reduction)

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  PrairieGirl 
#1 ·
Sidebar: I did a challenge on here a few years ago and it really helped me get my spending under control so I'm back with a new one!!

Background: DH and I were talking a few days ago about money and our spending habits. He's worried because he's only working like 6 hours a day (if he's lucky) and I'm still on mat leave for another few months.

While doing the dishes tonight, I was thinking of ways we can cut down our expenses and finally make a real effort in cutting down our One account. We got it back in August '09 and its basically stayed at the same number :furious:

Our bills are paid each month automatically with a number a little over what the monthly bill is so we can get a nice credit cushion if things get really though. All of our other expenses (petrol, groceries, etc.) seem to vary month to month even though I budget :dunce:

My Plan:
-Groceries*: $50 a week ($35 necessities, $15 stockpile)
-Petrol: $20 a week (regardless of amount in tank; should be around 3/4 full at each fill up)
-Savings: $34 every two weeks (so we don't have to rely on our One account)
-Retirement: $33 every two weeks
-School Fund: $33 every two weeks

I get "paid" $800 every two weeks while on mat leave. Therefore, I'll be depositing $500 every two weeks into our One account. The other $20 I need to keep around as my chq. account has an automatic savings withdraw for regular use of the account set to $5 per action. Its actually a great way to have some extra cash in my savings account for just in case purchases.

*regarding the low grocery budget amount: We have tons of meat in the freezer from last year's deer hunt. I also have a small stockpile going of the things we use most. I'm also making our bread and eventually will make our pasta as well. The $35 will cover necessities like milk, cheese, lunch meat, fruit, veggies, etc. The other $15 will go towards items we use the most like corn, flour ($12 for 10kg!! :ack: ), items on sale in the flyer, or if I find a coupon on save.ca.

I'm going to try and post on here every night (and mirror the posts on my blog).

Anywho, I'm off to bed as its uber late here!!

See less See more
#4 ·
Looking forward to reading your posts on this journey. Sounds like you have a goal and wishing you luck on obtaining it.

#7 ·
Looking forward to following your journey.

#8 ·
I think that I may learn a lot from your experiences. Mahalo for sharing!!

#9 ·
Hi y'all!! Sorry I haven't posted for a few days - its been crazy here (personal stuff) and posting was the last thing on my mind).

Anywho, here goes:
Over the weekend I went to the Superstore and stocked up on canned goods (and other things) like crazy because they had a huge sale. I spent about $330 and had about $25 in coupons and received 2 free lasagnas because I spent over the $150 limit the store was featuring this week. Yes yes, I know, so much for sticking to the $50 weekly limit but at least this way we're honestly setup for only buying the necessities for a few months without worrying too much we're running out of whatever canned veggie we have in our stockpile.

I'm also starting to cook way more Polish foods as they rely less on fancy ingredients and are just good. I have a wicked cookbook with pictures next to each recipe. Tonight I made a potato type casserole with shredded potatoes, ground venison in ketchup, onions and mushrooms, with a top layer of sour cream and sprinkled with a little cheese and bread crumbs. Pretty darn tasty if I do say so myself :thanx:

Well, I gots to keep this short as I'm super tired and I have to make lunch for DH. Have a good night!! :chug:

#12 ·
You've got some great ambitions PG! :horse: I know Canadian prices are very high, so I'm sure the challenge will be even greater. I'm looking forward to watching you, because I enjoy seeing how others manage on very little. I'd also love to learn a thing or two by following your progress. With your freezer full, and now all the canned goods, I get the feeling you'll be practically breezing thru this! :mdance:

You mentioned making more Polish foods. If you're up to it, would you care to post a recipe or two from your book now and then? It's not the stlye of food you see everyday (kwim?), and I bet the recipes are wonderful!

$12 in candy, eh? Wellafter all, you deserve it, :inn: and now at least you've gotten your "cheat" out of the way :pirate: I at least hope it was some kinda yummo chocolate....lol!

Anyways, hoping the best for you. There's no doubt in my mind you'll be great at this!! :dollar:

Theresa :)

#13 ·
Thanks for all the support!!

I went grocery shopping a few days ago and spent only $34.99 on preps and things for the house. I also bought an apple corer and a candy bar on Tuesday (I got a 1L whipping cream 35% milk for free because of a scanning error - saved $5 over a discrepancy of $0.06!!!! :tay: ). So I have $10 left for the week for groceries. We're doing good with 'em, so I'm not too worried about this week.

I made a delicious moose stew in the slow cooker on Monday and homemade Mac & Cheese on Tuesday, also in the slow cooker. Both were super delicious dinners. Not sure about tonight....chicken with rice and veggies maybe?

MamaMia - I'll do my best to post some recipes out of my Polish cookbook. I'll also try to scan the picture from the book so that y'all can see what its supposed to look like.

Anywho, I'm off to play with the munchkin!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.