Frugal Village Forums banner

February 2010 Grocery Challenge

4K views 65 replies 24 participants last post by  NikoSan999 
#1 ·
Due to my schedule and running out of basics i am going to do my first Grocery Shopping tonight. Going to try really hard to keep it at $128.00 this month.

#3 ·
I have had a horrible time with the grocery budget and keeping it under for the most part of the last year. I keep trying and the months I do make it I end up getting slammed shortly there after. The grocery area has in the pst been a very frugal area for me and so I find struggling in this area annoying and frustrating. I think between the rising prices the drop in how couon can be used and the ever growing appitites of my boys that maybe I'm almost ready to give and say I'm being unrealistic. I am going to try this month for $400 without pulling lots from my stockpile.

#4 ·
I have noticed the rising prices i spent $104.00 last night at the grocery store and i had $6.50 in coupons. Now i did get a bottle of real maple syrup and maine blueberries and some fish. But my freezer is full. With the $24.00 i have left over i can get milk and bread when needed.

#5 ·
getting complicated for me. I have lots of special areas to worry about...
A) church soup kitchen: $50
B) eating out $100
C) actual groceries (food and non food) $175

now how to do my signature so I will remember....
50/100/175 (church/out/groceries)???

#7 ·
I am in for 320 for Feb.
I had the same amount set for Jan and came in at 297.34. with DH doing some shopping it is hard to control

#8 ·
Okay I'm in. I went over budget in January but this month I have to do my best to be under 320.00. With our car repairs in January the account is pretty empty. I do need to use up my freezer food and pantry, so that should help.

#11 ·
Hello all. I have been around here in a really long time but I thought I'd go active again. So here we go my first challenge.

Sticking to the $200 for the month of February for groceries.

I think I'm going to throw in the $5 I "have" to spend on Monday for pizza day at work. (the first day of close if any of you are accountants. 6 am to 6 pm, all of us in the department eat together and bring stuff in this month it was voted that we would order pizza.)

#12 ·
I have the hardest time tracking what I've spent. So I'm going to have two goals this month.

1. Keep track of all food monies spent
2. $400 grocery fund for the month

Reactions: countrygirlatheart
#13 ·
I'm in at the same as I was for January. 3 people, 1 small dog.
$25 a week or $150 a month maximum if there are sales just too good to pass up thru out the month. So that would be $100 a month with $50 extra as a maybe.

Reactions: countrygirlatheart
#15 ·
Last month I went over my $50 budget by a couple of dollars. There didn't seem to be any good sales for stocking up, which turned out to be a good thing, as I periodically start to loath grocery shopping. This month I'm going to increase my budget to $75, in case there are some good sales. I am still so sick of couponing and grocery shopping, I need to continue to take a break. I hope I can force myself to keep using what's in the freezer and pantry.

#17 ·
So far I spent 55.42. I do need to get a few more items at the store tomorow since the kids drink so much milk. But I hope that next week I can skip the groceries.

I made 4 loafs of bread the other day so we're good for a little bit.

#19 ·
Made my first trip to the grocery store for the month of February yesterday.

$45.91, mostly stocking up on some things that I've run really low on. Still trying to get the stock pile built up from the move.

Then the $5.00 for the pizza at lunch today.

So $50.91/$200. I shouldn't have to hit the store for another week though so that's nice.

#20 ·
$9.25 for groceries today....celery, cottage cheese, soda.

#23 ·
I'm in for $225 since freeze it pretty empty. Spent $59 on 1st trip, but didn't get everything. Have $70 for pet supplies this month. Spent $4 on canned food & will pick up dry dog food & cat litter tomorrow.

#24 ·
i'm going to try and keep it at $350...it's just the two of us...but we have 2 grown daughters who drop in for dinner occasionally..and then there are the weekends at the mountain house..... those are expensive as we usually have a houseful of company....we'll see....at least at this point I'm tracking what I spend and that in itself is a huge thing!!!

#26 ·
I am in again. I went over last month so need to make it up this month to meet my goal of $2010 in 2010.
I am in for $125 this month.
The freezer is so full that if a good sale comes up I will have to pass on it as I have no room for anything.
I would also like to do OAMC but can't for the same reason.
So far have not spent any money. Hoping to stay out of the store until I run out of milk. Should be able to go at least another week hopefully.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.