Frugal Village Forums banner

Expenses that I didn't budget for?

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  NikoSan999 
#1 ·
Eek! We have some expenses that I have not budgeted for. Specifically my son's school registration - $225 (due by March 15) and our property taxes (overdue now) $554.

I do have my $1000 emergency fund in place, but do I practically wipe it out for these?

#2 ·
If it was my problem the property taxes would be paid yes, because they are overdue now. They just keep tacking on more interest.
You need to get this figured into your budget asap. Set aside so much a month for this bill. When it comes due, the money is there waiting.

School registration....is this a private school ?
I would ask them if they can break it down into monthly payments for you.

#3 ·
Yes for the taxes. Taxes are not negotiable and ladytoysdream is right, the penalties will just keep mounting. I would also probably use it for the school fees and then start frantically rebuilding the emergency fund.

It takes time to find tune a budget and to get everything worked into it, and it will gradually come together so that these things are all accounted for.

Maybe you could go back through all your records for the last year to be sure you have all these occasional items on your list.

#4 ·
Agreed - EF for the taxes - maybe on the school - and you now adjust the budget so you never get surprised by either again.

And don't forget, Christmas has been scheduled this year for Dec 25. I know they NEVER have it on Dec 25 so this will be a shock, but it HAS been scheduled well in advance for once, so plan accordingly.

Reactions: NewLeaf and Libby
#5 ·
Mahalo for the warning about the 12/25 date to pencil in my date book!! Would hate to miss it!!

#6 ·
i posted on the other forum too, so hi!

anyway, there is a huge thread on here about top ten most frugal tips (under the tips section). i would start there. i found the tips by canadian gardener the most useful when i was in debt repayment mode.

#8 ·
Do you have anything you can sell to help replenish the EF quickly???

#12 ·
Rinse and repeat...agree

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.