Frugal Village Forums banner

Living on a Budget Challenge

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  mommy4ever 
#1 ·
Last April we set a budget and we did fantastic! We had nearly a FFEF in just 6 months :loop: It was amazing to see.

Then we decided to renovate. Did you know nothing ever costs what you think it will?

So, we fell off the wagon. We accumulated a little debt. BAD!! DEBT!!BAD!!

So now it's time to do a YOU-turn and get back on track. Life happens, we're making the adjustment and going for it.

So I am planning on working out a reasonable budget, that include the 4-6 month debt free in it. And get it done.

Of course, with the economy, it's smart to do. And with the US and Canadian dollar being at parity... we are again potentially facing more layoffs.

THAT said, I have increase my person income by about 50%. But summers I go down about 50% :crackup: but THAT is just 2 months.

So Monday, as I am not home this weekend, I will be working out my budget, and stick with it. Not much choice. Need to finish the FFEF get rid of the debt, get some other things paid off.

Life happens, roll with it.

See less See more
#3 ·
On Friday I made an adjustment to our mortgage payment. I increased it by $60/week. AND BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM! We blew up 12 years! It took 12 years off our mortgage!

I hope to do the same in the fall, increase by another $60 and see what THAT will do.

That is exciting!

Today, I reviewed bills. I've been paying 1 utility bill a week late! I had it marked wrong in my recurring payments. OOPS..that or they changed the date and I didn't notice.

Now to get it all on paper, so i can simply check off things as the days go by and make the payments.

I have everything for the schools down pat. Everyone has post dated checks, and all are entered in quicken with date and amount. I just get a little messed up with the utilities.

Time to get that back and see what we really have after all the basics are paid.

Renovations really through us off track.

#4 ·
We, too are doing a budget for real this month. We have been "practicing" but if it doesn't balance, no big deal... We will change it this month!

#5 ·
Congrats on being so successful with your budgeting - I am also looking forward to reading more about your new journey!!

#6 ·
The budget thing is a little slow to happen. With everything that happened with the school, I've been sidetracked, in just trying to get them into a school. She went to spend time with my parents and came home early, stressed and home sick. So I spent some money on her, and lots of time. I didn't use credit to do it, but it slows down everything, and time really put a stall on things. But her being well, and feeling secure is my priority.

#8 ·
It's our spring break right now, so I haven't worried too much about school or home school, but she has been so distressed, that I have really been focusing on her.

Come Tuesday though, I'll be on the schools and the school board, and get them moving. I need to know what my recourse is. I need to know if I am homeschooling, not my first choice, but I am fully prepared to do it.

#9 ·
Please let us know how everything works out on the school front.

My personal motto is 'Health and Family First"

#10 ·
Ok, things are feeling more calm. We are homeschooling. We officially register today. We held out that the schools would do right by us... apparently, we aren't high on their list of priority. So they are home, indefinitely! We will see how the next 3 months go, and go from there. Dh said if the girls want to continue and remain homeschooled, he's behind us 100%!

But now I need to budget a little differently! LOL. I need a school budget for the next 3 months. Come September, we actually have gov't funding that will re-imburse up to $750 each. So that will be useful, but it's too late now.

So I need to decide what is reasonable for the next few months. I don't see me buying much curriculum as they are mostly through their year anyway, so I am looking at ink and paper and a few fieldtrips, and perhaps a few workbooks. But overall, not a big expense.

This also affects food budget, but I feel better that dd6 is home eating, cause i can monitor, at school i don't know if she eats, if it's stolen or thrown in the garbage. Now I know she eats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.