Frugal Village Forums banner

April Grocery Challenge

2K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  happymomof4 
#1 ·
April already. My budget is $500. I did real well in March so hopefully I can do it again.

We pick up our beef next week. That will be $45.83 a month for that. The beef cost $550 and I am splitting it into 12 months.

#2 ·
I fail miserably at this every single stinkin' month.

Having said that.....hubby and I were just talking about this last night. it's a new month, so we are starting with fresh resolve. We are both commited to playing the "how little can I spend this month" game.

So count me in for 250.00.

#6 ·
I'm in. My budget for the month is $300 a month. This includes everything...pet food, hba, etc. Hopefully, this will work.

#7 ·
I haven't done this for awhile but have been keeping up with what i spend on grocery so i am in for $100.for the month i haven't spent $100. a month for grocery since December but still have a lot in pantry and freezer is 1/2 full so trying use that up only spent $76.51 in March on food.I don't include hba in my grocery budget.

#8 ·
I'd like to join but I blew it already. Mine was $200 a month and I already spent that and more to come, its just now April 1st. For Easter I'm bringing the fruit and veggies, so I'm guessing another $20 for that spread. I recently blew $15 because there was a stupid sale on pop that I fell for. I don't even buy pop normally! It was buy 2 get 3 free. Then hot chocolate was on sale, the reason I went to the store in the first place and instead of getting ONE container like I told myself I would, I bought two because the price was so low. But I can't keep doing that all the time or there's no sense in having a budget. I'll always find a reason to splurge on food.

Thanks for the inspiration, I'll see how far into the month I can tough it out with what I already have.

#10 ·
I'm in again for $225 for 2 & $70 for pet supplies. I had my stock up trip for pet supplies yesterday & spent $54. Things looking good in this area as we could have waited another week or 2 before really needing anything except canned cat food. We actually have enough for at least a month of various favors, but she has been eating a certain one for months now (she has some health issues so I'm happy to buy whatever she will eat).

We also spent $17 at Target & $3 at CVS. Also, forgot to add the last small grocery trip (3/28) in for March, so another $19 to April's. And I have a list started for the weekend grocery trip.

#11 ·
My budget is always the same, $440 a month. With my stockpile, it works great because I'm only replacing my stockpile items every week. With loss leaders and coupons, I almost always come out spending only $40-$60 a week which is great for us, but I've been stuck in the house not feeling well this last month, so of course that means I've been living out of the freezer/pantry. So now I've got some major re-stocking to do, and that means more bucks spent every week. I'll just have to play my cards really right to STRETCH that $110. Oh Well....BTDT already. Did it before, I'll do it again. Just have to hope the sales match my budget, that's all. :chomp:

Theresa :wave2:

Hope everyone has a good month! :flowers:

#12 ·
This morning i spent $57 hoping to last me two weeks. Though i forgot my almond milk..so sometime this week i will have to run to the store. My total includes a trip to Big lots were i got two boxes of cereals and snacks. All name brands

#13 ·
Trying for $50/week. I went to a convention last month (think money pit) and the funds are low. And the dog needs her shots and teeth-cleaning this month. Fortunately my pantry and freezer are pretty full.

#14 ·
I'm back in for 200----250 to allow for REALLY good sales. Last month I was at 197 and that was for 5 weeks..... yay me!

My budget is for food and hba only, not pet food, paper goods or cleaning supplies.

#15 ·
Spent $10 at the grocery store after work on Friday, but skipped Saturday's trip to the other one. Maybe I'll get there tonight. Spent $9 at CVS on Saturday for milk, a toothbrush & bath tissue.

#17 ·
Didn't post for last month but did manage my $50 a week budget for the month. DH is not real happy with some of my choices. When we finished the liquid hand soap in the bathroom,I brought out a cake of bar soap.He thinks using bar soap is too old fashioned. Hopefully some junk food will be on sale soon!

#19 ·
DH spent $8 on his way home Friday for quick fix weekend items. Also, got bananas & bread yesterday. I'll need to stop by tonight for milk, lunch meat, yogurt & a few other items from the cheaper grocery store.

#20 ·
total spent for April to date is 152.51. Need to start to use what is in the pantry and avoid the stores. But I did get a few good deals.
Today
5 bottles soft soap kitchen cleaner - free using sale plus coupon
3 cans mighty dog - free using sale and coupon
snuggle frabric softener - 3.49 less 3.00 coupon = 49 cents

Adding to stockpile! LOL

#23 ·
On 04/19/10 i went to big lots and spent $11.00 and today i spent $13.00. only went over my budget by 2 whole dollars!!! not bad in my book. oh yea what i bought today will last me until 05/01/10.

#24 ·
Forgot to post trip to Target & Aldis last weekend, but did update my totals. Spent another $20 last night for a few groceries & $2 on can cat food.

#25 ·
Didn't keep track....(hanging my head in shame)...but I do know that I went OVER my $200 allotment... so I'll just pick up my head and try again in May.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.