Frugal Village Forums banner

A Super Frugal Week Planned

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  KentuckySaver 
#1 ·
Wife and the kids will be leaving tomorrow for Easter break back in WV where we used to live. They will be staying with family and I may be heading that way on Tuesday to lay some wood floor for my oldest daughter ( 2 day job I think ). Anyway, I plan on a very frugal week, low comsumption of all things. They leave in the morning and I will keep you updated as to my progress. Can't wait, like a game to me and I love it !!! I am so weird...LMAO !!

Am I the only one that does stuff like this ?? I bet not.

Reactions: dean and mauimagic
#2 ·
Sounds as if everyone will have a fun frugal time!! I do the same thing when DH is away - love seeing how frugal I can be!! Looking forward to reading about this time for you.

#4 ·
I didn't know there was a name for it!! ;)

#5 ·
OK, so here is where I am so far on my Super Frugal Week. As of 9:30 PM I have used 8kw's of power ( began reading at 1:00 PM ), had to dry a load of towels in the dryer..I was out and need one bad. So used about 1 kw per hour so far. All unused breakers are turned off at the breaker box, dryer, stove, water heater and the freezer will be turned off tonight before bed. The furnace/heat pump breaker is off as well and everything else is unplugged except for the fridge and one light (5 watt cfl) and my laptop.

Had to run to Kroger today to get supplies for the week. 41% savings with coupons and my Kroger Plus Card. I love my Kroger. I also get 10 cents off per gal of gas with each $100 spent there so I filled up today since I was there and had enough credits for the 10 cents off. Hey, gas never seems to get any cheaper so I fill up today. ( $31.80 ) Will probably do me the rest of the month if I don't go to WV on Tues like I had planned. Have to wait and see about that one.

So far it's been a great day. No eating out ofcourse, I never do anyway. Eat some left over chicken noodle soup and then a PB&J later this evening.

Added 51 cents to the change jar too !!

I'll update again tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by. :thumb:

#8 ·
Had to run to Kroger today to get supplies for the week. 41% savings with coupons and my Kroger Plus Card. I love my Kroger.
I grew up in Louisville, Kentucky and loved shopping at Kroger! Every time I go back there to visit my mom we always make a few stops there. I hear Kroger owns the Fred Meyers out here in Oregon, but it's just not the same! But I do smile everytime I go to Freddy's and see something with the Kroger brands....like the Big K sodas, which I never would have drank back in the day :)

#6 ·
Just checked again and make that 46% savings ($21.75) Hehe, got to love it.

#7 ·
Only used 10 kw of power in the last 24 hours. :clap: Still never went without anything I needed. Kinda nice to know my needs are so little. Had to spend $3.76 today for nails but well worth it. Used up all the nails I had pulled out of scavenged lumber. Doubled the size of my wood shed today too all with scrap lumber.

Had dinner with the neighbors today, they know everyone is out of town and was afraid I would go hungry I guess. LOL Even sent home a plate to eat later so food expences today are $0

Really cut down on my power usage turning the breakers to most things off. Only used 3 kw since 1:00 PM and it's 8:20 PM now. Guess that stuff really uses quite a bit of power even when it's off.

Update again tomorrow. Man this is a lot of fun. These numbers will go up a lot next weekend when everyone gets back home though but still now I know how little we really need.

Thanks for stopping by.

Reactions: mamamia
#9 ·
My husband never leaves for a few days so I can't have a frugal week but sometimes I try to do frugal evenings. I don't look at the metter but I unplug everything and do as much as I can by hand.

I'm looking forward to reading your story.
Have a good frugal week!

#10 ·
First of all, thank you Suprise for checking in on my progress. And good for you for atleast having frugal evenings. It all counts.

Used 12 kw of power in the last 24 hours, that's up from 10 yesterday and not really sure why. 2 kw don't sound like much but it is 2000 watts just the same. I'm happy to just stay under 15 kw per day really so I'm still happy.

Went and bought more nails today ($5.86) so I could do some work on the goat barn. I got enough for another project that I have planned a little later. Would have loved to have had a no spend day but this project needed done with the arrival of the 2 goat kids yesterday. It was a nice day to work outside and I got to cross another project off my list. Good enough for me.

I have a load of laundy in the washer right now and will hang them to dry on hangers in the house tonight and then outside to finish off tomorrow. It got a little too late to hang them out this evening, working on the barn took longer than I thought.

Eating whats left of some turkey slices in the fridge. Makes a good sandwhich with a little mayo. So far no money spent since Sat. other than nails the last two days.

Will either mow grass or cut more firewood tomorrow not sure just yet which one. But both will be done in the next few days.

.14 cents to the change jar today !!

And...got a check for $30.94 from an add that I have on my blog. Get about that much each month. ( Already up to over $75.00 for next month) It's a add for Heirloom Seeds, when someone uses my link to make a purchase I get 10% of the sale. The pay like clockwork each month. This is my 14 month and I have never missed getting a check from them. $30 will go into the Christmas Fund and the rest to the change jar.

I'll update tomorrow evening. Right now I'm off to the shower and then some reading....I'm beat !!

#11 ·
Still been a pretty frugal week here in Kentucky. Got a call last night and I got to work today and tomorrow. I'm helping a guy lay some hardwood floor. Any work that pays is good work now days, glad to have what little it is.

Didn't get to check my meter at 1:00 PM like I have been but at 8:00 PM I had only used 17 kw. That is after 31 hours of use and I ran the dishwasher last night and done a load of laundry. No heat on the dishwasher and the clothes were hung to dry ofcourse. Still pretty good I think. Will get back on the 24 hour cycle of checking the meter tomorrow night at 8:00.

My buddy picked me up today and will tomorrow so no extra gas involved in working anyway. We did eat at McDonalds this evening after work, we were both starved. 2 McChicken Sandwiches a fry and a drink = $4.23 and will worth it. This is the first time I have eaten out in weeks so I guess it was ok since I was working too. We have about a half a days work tomorrow and I already packed a lunch so I won't be tempted to do this again.

Seems I just can't get a no spend day at all.

I got a $5.00 gift card in the mail today from walmart too....free $$$

.77 cents to the change jar today from my McDonalds change.

If I get home in time tomorrow I will mow grass and get that marked off the list too.

I'll update tomorrow night. Thanks to all that have followed my frugal quest this week.

Reactions: mamamia
#12 ·
Not so frugal today I'm afraid. Worked til late again tonight had to get a few things at the store and spent about $17.00. I did add .59 cents to the change jar though and my power usage was 16 kw for a 27 hour period.

Hoping for a no spend day tomorrow, maybe I can make it this time as I will be home. Finished up our job today. Will get paid on Saturday.

The family is coming home on Friday and I sure have missed them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.