Frugal Village Forums banner

May Grocery Challenge

3K views 45 replies 16 participants last post by  happymomof4 
#1 ·
I am in for $128.00 again. Last night i spent $58 on may groceries
I had $5.25 worth of coupons. i had a coupon for $1.50 on classico pasta sauce on 1. It was $1.98 at wal-mart i got it for .48!!! Good luck everybody Happy May

#3 · (Edited)
ok...going to try it again...didn't do so good last month...
Instead of buying my groceries out of the checking account this month, I'm going to get the money out of the bank and use the envelope system. Hopefully this will work better.

#4 ·
I am in again for $100. came in a little less than that this month but still got a lot in pantry and freezer i would like use up.That just for food.

#6 ·
I'm in again, 200 for the month with an extra 50 to allow for really good sales. This is for food, hba and paper products for 3.

#9 ·
I'm going for 350.00 food, hba and cat food.

#10 ·
got my money out of the bank for the week. Divided into envelopes. I have $60 per week for groceries, including gas & pet food. The pantry looks pretty good, the freezer looks pretty full, so I should be able to make this work. :thumb:

#13 ·
Started this week with my $60. Here is what I spent.

$8.40 book of stamps
$10.00 gas
$29.00 groceries

I brought home $12.00 and change. (I put the change in the change jar). I now have some money left for the rest of the week.

Yea, me!:cheer4:

#14 ·
I'm in for $225 for 2 adults (food, hba & cleaning items) & $70 for pet supplies (2 dogs & a cat). We've spent $79 already since Saturday (2 trips to CVS & 3 grocery stores). I'll need to keep an eye on purchases since we are low on meat & will need staples (bread, milk, produce) each week. Spent $14 on cat litter & canned dog food.

#15 ·
May - I am in for 320.00 this month. this is 80 less than our monthly standard. I intend to use the 80 toward debt repayment.
We have a ton of groceries in the house but I will need fruit, produce, milk and bread. I hope to clean the pantry up this week and plan menus using what we have

#17 ·
I am trying to eat out of the pantry exclusively. I did go ahead and buy $11 worth of fresh strawberries from the farm. I made 4 jars of jam and have 6 cups of cut up strawberries in the freezer. I also bought all the bread I should need for the month (two loaves, hamburger buns, hot dog buns) for $5 at the bread store. I also got some veggies and misc. The total I have spent so far this month is 31.15.

so...31.15 of 50.00 hopefully.

#18 ·
Went pick up med. Monday and spent $3.91 on some apples and bananas and candy. But went back today got $27.84 in groceries. Have spent $31.75 so for.

#19 ·
~I'm in for my usual $250, food only, for our family of four. I've spent $115 so far on:

8lbs butter
3lbs hot dogs
4 cartons breyer's ice cream
24pk ice cream cones
3lbs london broil
3.75lbs ground beef
6.5lb whole chicken
1lb crabmeat(M-Day splurge)
5.3lbs pork loin
5lbs apples
1.7lb yams
10lb potatoes
bag salad
2 fz juice
2 bags potato chips(craving :/ )
5lb flour
5lb sugar
2 loaves wheat bread
2 bbq sauce
5 boxes Quaker cereal
hellman's mayo
6 boxes decaf green tea(288 bags)
2 ken's dressing
gallon milk

#20 ·
My week (from Sunday to Saturday) has been successful. !! Out of the $60 in my weekly envelope, I have $10.90 left. I put that into my change jar and am getting my week #2 envelope out for tomorrow. Hopefully by the end of the month I'll have some cash to put extra on the doctor bills. :hurray:

#21 ·
Here we go again with my frustrating whine....

:nrant: I use to do so well in this area that it was what I considered my strongest creative/frugal combination area. For what seems like forever now I have been REALLY struggling with why I can't seem to keep the numbers down. So far this year I'm averaging $493 a month not counting adding in our "out to eat" money, which I use to. I know there are several things that play into it such as increased prices, harder to find coupon deals, a meat/potatoes/soda DH and teenage boys but then I get frustrated as well and drop the ball. :nrant:

Anyhow I'm going to really make a decent attempt to at least figure out some areas where I'm slacking this month since I can say I've started out on a positive note with yesterday's grocery run.

I'm going to shoot for $400 which includes everything (except out to eat) for myself, DH, 2 dogs, 1 cat, and our two bottomless pits and their constant parade of soccer buddies.

#22 ·
Saturday i went to the bread store and got two loaves of organic bread and organic english muffins for $8.58. Also went to Big Lots and got $14.00 worth of cereal, chips, crackers, coffee cake and cake mixes. i have $49.00 left for the month.

I agree it is alot harder with increasing food prices to keep in budget.

#27 ·
week 2 for me:
store #1:$19
store #2: $22 ($14 for sodas for the month)
That leaves me $40 for the rest of the month. I really don't want to spend that much, because all the extra money is going to get DH new work shoes since his shoes are in terrible condition!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.