re-saving for the car fund
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default re-saving for the car fund

We need to re-save the majority of the funds to replace my car and eventually dh's. We were good on mine. There was a reason it was taking me forever to make a decision on what to buy. That money was meant to do something much more important in the big picture. If we get it back~ we get it back. If not it is a good cause and a far greater need than ours. We never borrow without considering it a gift. Health is more important than $!

So here we sit needing to re-save it. It took forever to save but we can do it again and cross our fingers my car continues to do well with the high mileage as we save.

~~We are also continuing to save towards a longer FFEF. ($70 a week)

~~We are saving towards the kids trip this summer to stay with family out of state( need about $800~ have $100)

~~Dh and I have a non negotiable event in July we need about $600 for ( 0 saved)

We are This is going to be tough but I'm putting on my frugal black belt to begin with and will start tracking every cent again. Looking at the numbers and the fact my PT paychecks have been down about $200 a month it is looking impossible. Dh is pay locked until Jan 2011 However as we have proved to ourselves nothing is impossible.

I'm going to do an Auto draft of $30 a week to start with. Not much but a start.

-Since our cars are an 01 and an 02 I'm assuming they are not worth much and calling our agent to see what the savings is to go just liability.

-I'm checking into naked dsl (we can not get other internet but the phone co as we are rural) and the possibility of adding 1 more cell and dropping the home phone

-tracking everything will help a lot I think

- go back to taking 1 day a week to drive the 30 miles to shop so I have all day instead of doing a quick trip after work. I tend to be rushed after work. By taking 1 day I will be wasting gas $ but will have time to browse the thrift stores etc

-ebay items

- check into part time opportunities closer to home for extra cash

- cut eating out from once a week to 1-2 x a month

- dh's over time to the car fund

I'm going to track how we do. If anyone has any ideas please chime in. I'd love some more ideas!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can a mod move this into money management? I'm thinking that is more where it should be

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok set up the extra auto draft! The next 2 hours are going to be going over the budget with a fine tooth comb

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ugh headache! I found a few things to cut out. However I TOTALLY forgot to put the fuel prepay I need 2 save 4 in the budget.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had a big moment of panic about that $ being gone! I feel bad for it but I admit it. The plan is it will come back when she is recovered and able to work again (IF! is honest my opinion but I pray for a full recovery ) but I am not counting on it. We clearly stated no pressure, no rush you get healthy first and worry about it way later. I feel guilty for my earlier thoughts.

We didn't really put ourselves in a bad position as dh says because we do have the FFEF if there is an all out car emergency. I'm glad we have been debt free for a a few years and stayed frugal and saved the $. It kind of sucks and it hard without a big income but it got done over time. I am such a big advocate of pay yourself first. At least for us if we save out of what is left NOTHING is left. However if we take it off the top we have no choice but to work with what is left. End of discussion

I got the budget all redone yet again with the fuel and the other things I need to save for that I stated a few posts up. I can squeak a tiny bit out for the car savings but honestly not much until After Aug. because of the other things we need to save for first . Every bit counts~ little as i may be!

I was looking back on some old budgets from when we had $40K in debt. Our income was a bit less back then. Looking at those numbers I was totally blown away that we managed to live on what was left after the CC payments, car payments, mortgage and just surviving expenses. Yes costs were way down 5 years ago but still. However I about feel over seeing my old grocery price book! Wow were groceries cheaper! Our electric rates were less than half what they are now. Same satellite plan was $25 less. Same phone plan $27 less. Gee prices sure did jump!

I ramble I know. Anyways it was inspiring to see what we did back then. Oh yeah our kids were cheaper too! LOL

I'm just going to update and extra $ I divert to car savings here as a record to myself. LOL I know this will boar one to tears but it helps me

Received a $5 survey check that will go in the acct.

Oh we budget $150 a month for car repairs since we have high mileage cars (8 and 9 years old). Dh pointed out of we don't need to use it eventually that could be $ that could go towards car replacement.

I'm debating putting my whole budget on here and seeing if anyone sees anything I missed that can be cut.

$ 5 extra added to acct. Total added since started the thread $5

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We need to save our money to buy a newer car too. We are currently driving a 2001 Sebring with 220 KM on it and I can feel that the transmission is going. I'd rather buy a newer car then having to pay for a new transmission. But since I am a SAHM the savings are going to be slow. I figured I could put 150.00 into my saving account and then anything that I do to save money I will add it to the account even if it's only 0.50$. Also my husband's overtime will be going into that account.

Best of luck to you!
    Emilie

September Goals

Master Card Pay Off

Paid Off/2430.72

Visa Pay Off

9742.42/10436.32

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Suprise View Post
    We need to save our money to buy a newer car too. We are currently driving a 2001 Sebring with 220 KM on it and I can feel that the transmission is going. I'd rather buy a newer car then having to pay for a new transmission. But since I am a SAHM the savings are going to be slow. I figured I could put 150.00 into my saving account and then anything that I do to save money I will add it to the account even if it's only 0.50$. Also my husband's overtime will be going into that account.

Best of luck to you!

Sounds like we are doing much the thing. I hope your transmission holds out. How do you know when a transmission is going? What do you feel?

I find that really encouraging your car has over 200K and is the same year as mine! Makes me feel safer about having 150K on it. Thanks for posting! My thread was lonely. Hope we both come up with extra ideas to get $ in there faster.

On a totally separate note~ I was sure moody yesterday!! I was ashamed yesterday about being a bit worked up about the car $ being gone even though we did the right thing with it. I also sheepishly told dh that I felt kind of embarrassed to still have this car when we see some out of state family in a month.The last time they were here I had them put their kiddos car seat in my car and the person had a fit about it being dirty, etc. It was dirty! I never see the back. Someone had let candy melt! Anyways this family member always has the newest and the best. However they make 500K a year and pay cash. We were in the 50's last year with a bigger family. Huge huge difference. As in 10x the difference. I am usually perfectly happy being weird with the debt free, used stuff, always paying cash. I never feel embarrassed!~ Dhs said I must have pms! LOL

On another a separate note. We have been learning about college stuff, costs , etc. Yeah that can put you on edge a bit.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think you should feel bad about feeling concerned. You made a decision to help someone with the money you were saving. In my world it takes a very long time to save up a bit of cash. It's difficult to see it go even for the best of things (helping someone who truly needs it or even spending it on what I was saving for).

I think you're on the right track with paying yourself first. I started payroll deductions for savings years ago. I figured if I didn't see it in my checking account, it was easier to "forget" about. Some months were tight, but I managed to leave the savings to grow. Putting savings away first is part of my payday routine since I no longer have direct deposit (had an issue & prefer to make my own deposits now).

My old beater has lots of issues, but I'm trying to keep it rolling. It needs tranny work too... it hesitates shifting up to the next gear. Sometimes it changes smooth, but then it acts up later. Its pretty noticeable if I stop & give it a little more gas when taking off. I've had the fluid changed & put in one of those additives that has helped some. This has been going on for 2 years - 10,000 miles or so (I drive it most days, but just a short distance). I'm trying to "baby" it to buy a little more time, so I can decide whether to keep repairing it or not. Did I mention I just called about new tires today? Ouch!

I'd consider spending a little money to have your car detailed before visiting family. Often, you can find a responsible teen that will do a great job for much less than the detail places. It could help you feel better about the car situation for now.

Sound like you have a great plan to get that money saved. I can't really think of anything to add there, but look forward to seeing your progress! Good Luck! Sorry, it is such a long post.

May Groceries $228/275 Pet Supplies $109/130
    Coupons $24.99
    April Groceries $280/275 Pet Supplies $118/130
    Coupons $36.44
    Coupon Saving 2014 $153.91
    2013 $404.44
    2012 $395.16

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks Janie! No apologies for being long. I appreciate it! Iit takes a long time to save in our world too. I so agree with you on the pay you first. We never would have saved for the ffef, braces or anything else if we hadn't. That is awesome you transfer it right away. It takes dicipline not to decide to skip a week!

Thanks for the explanation on how you know the transmission is going. I didnt even know there were additives for that kind of stuff. I'd keep babying it too!!!!! I put on 60 miles round trip so I hope al the highway miles are better

ugh on the tires! They do get expensive. I had to buy them last july. Bough ds one yesterday.

I think having it detailed is a great idea. I think the thing that bothers me most is the rust on one fender. It has gotten hit 3 times and for some reason the rest of the body work was fine but that rusted.
    Thanks again!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Added $30. Gee nothing like seeing dh's pay is shorted $100 again. Make that a total of $425 he is short now. The issue is payroll only deals with supervisors. His supervisor is 1700 miles away and in charge of 17 different zones which is hundreds of people. We fax the mistakes and and he is supposed to submit them to payroll, obviously that is not happening . New union contract states if it is not fixed within so many days of the mistake being submitted employee is entitled to a full days pay plus the missing cash. Dh will send in again all 4 incidences and if not resolved have the union rep fix it. Cripes all mighty a total of being shorted to the tune of $425 over this time is not small!

Of course it has to be when we are taking moms out!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nodmicks View Post

I was looking back on some old budgets from when we had $40K in debt. Our income was a bit less back then. Looking at those numbers I was totally blown away that we managed to live on what was left after the CC payments, car payments, mortgage and just surviving expenses. Yes costs were way down 5 years ago but still. However I about feel over seeing my old grocery price book! Wow were groceries cheaper! Our electric rates were less than half what they are now. Same satellite plan was $25 less. Same phone plan $27 less. Gee prices sure did jump!

I totally understand. How did we make it when we had Credit cards and doctor bills and we are debt free and so tight each month? I don't get it either. Maybe it is just hikes in prices.
    2014 debts mortgage: 80,944.47(April 2009),70,000 (left to pay)
    All other debts: PAID IN FULL
    GOALS:
    To be debt free except mortgage by the May 2014 DONE
    To save $5000 by 12/13/14 Only saved about $600 so far!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nodmicks View Post

I think having it detailed is a great idea. I think the thing that bothers me most is the rust on one fender. It has gotten hit 3 times and for some reason the rest of the body work was fine but that rusted.
    Thanks again!
    IF they are old cars that AREN"T worth much anyway that you plan to replace soon you can do what my father does to his cars, spray paint.

You can spent $1 or $2 for a can of silver spray paint and spray paint the bumper. He usually only sprays the part that is rusty or chipped (he has actually spray painted the actual car body when mom backed up into something to prevent rust). I know it is a silly idea, but it may work and help you feel better.

Love reading your story. It is encouraging me. I have a 1998 and 2000 car-let's talk about needing to be replaced soon. I look forward to more updates.
    GOALS:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Qsaver thanks for popping in! I think a lot really is the huge price hikes over the years.

Good idea! I had thought about that but figured it wouldn't work. Sounds like it sure will!!!!

Sounds like we are in the same boat with replacing cars. Thanks so much again for the paint idea! I'll let my son tackle it!

I need $6000 back to get what we want according to our figures. Not counting when dh is ready to replace his. Mine has 150k miles his around 100k. however his kia has always been repair free! Awesome little car!!!!!!!!

Dh is not real big on the idea of me working more than the 24 hours I average every two weeks currently because of the back issues. However I am looking into ideas for pt jobs that do not involve all the non stop standing I do at the salon. It sure would help get that car $$$ back much faster.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

nice to know about the kia. We discussed getting one, but my husband was skeptical about it. When we were talking they were a rather new brand and he didn't know if they would stick around. I don't even have any idea how much it would cost to replace ours. I hope to spend around $5000-$6000. I just started saving-barely-$20 a month just to start. At that rate I can afford a car in about 20 years! Gotta start somewhere, though!
    GOALS:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Qsaver well $20 is a start! Funny how when we really set our minds to something we find a way to make it happen. I thing good luck comes with pushing to our goals Here is to it not taking either of us 20 year but hey they would be collectors items by then LOL.

DH's Kia rio has been a terrific car. My 01 ford not so much. We were looking at kia sorentos and I thought the rhondo was kind of neat. Saving I go!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast