Frugal Village Forums banner

re-saving for the car fund

3K views 45 replies 7 participants last post by  nodmicks 
#1 ·
We need to re-save the majority of the funds to replace my car and eventually dh's. We were good on mine. There was a reason it was taking me forever to make a decision on what to buy. That money was meant to do something much more important in the big picture. If we get it back~ we get it back. If not it is a good cause and a far greater need than ours. We never borrow without considering it a gift. Health is more important than $!

So here we sit needing to re-save it. It took forever to save but we can do it again and cross our fingers my car continues to do well with the high mileage as we save.

~~We are also continuing to save towards a longer FFEF. ($70 a week)

~~We are saving towards the kids trip this summer to stay with family out of state( need about $800~ have $100)

~~Dh and I have a non negotiable event in July we need about $600 for ( 0 saved)

We are This is going to be tough but I'm putting on my frugal black belt to begin with and will start tracking every cent again. Looking at the numbers and the fact my PT paychecks have been down about $200 a month it is looking impossible. Dh is pay locked until Jan 2011 However as we have proved to ourselves nothing is impossible.

I'm going to do an Auto draft of $30 a week to start with. Not much but a start.

-Since our cars are an 01 and an 02 I'm assuming they are not worth much and calling our agent to see what the savings is to go just liability.

-I'm checking into naked dsl (we can not get other internet but the phone co as we are rural) and the possibility of adding 1 more cell and dropping the home phone

-tracking everything will help a lot I think

- go back to taking 1 day a week to drive the 30 miles to shop so I have all day instead of doing a quick trip after work. I tend to be rushed after work. By taking 1 day I will be wasting gas $ but will have time to browse the thrift stores etc

-ebay items

- check into part time opportunities closer to home for extra cash

- cut eating out from once a week to 1-2 x a month

- dh's over time to the car fund

I'm going to track how we do. If anyone has any ideas please chime in. I'd love some more ideas!

See less See more
#5 ·
I had a big moment of panic about that $ being gone! I feel bad for it but I admit it. The plan is it will come back when she is recovered and able to work again (IF! is honest my opinion but I pray for a full recovery ) but I am not counting on it. We clearly stated no pressure, no rush you get healthy first and worry about it way later. I feel guilty for my earlier thoughts.

We didn't really put ourselves in a bad position as dh says because we do have the FFEF if there is an all out car emergency. I'm glad we have been debt free for a a few years and stayed frugal and saved the $. It kind of sucks and it hard without a big income but it got done over time. I am such a big advocate of pay yourself first. At least for us if we save out of what is left NOTHING is left. However if we take it off the top we have no choice but to work with what is left. End of discussion :)

I got the budget all redone yet again with the fuel and the other things I need to save for that I stated a few posts up. I can squeak a tiny bit out for the car savings but honestly not much until After Aug. because of the other things we need to save for first . Every bit counts~ little as i may be!

I was looking back on some old budgets from when we had $40K in debt. Our income was a bit less back then. Looking at those numbers I was totally blown away that we managed to live on what was left after the CC payments, car payments, mortgage and just surviving expenses. Yes costs were way down 5 years ago but still. However I about feel over seeing my old grocery price book! Wow were groceries cheaper! Our electric rates were less than half what they are now. Same satellite plan was $25 less. Same phone plan $27 less. Gee prices sure did jump!

I ramble I know. Anyways it was inspiring to see what we did back then. Oh yeah our kids were cheaper too! LOL

I'm just going to update and extra $ I divert to car savings here as a record to myself. LOL I know this will boar one to tears but it helps me :)

Received a $5 survey check that will go in the acct.

Oh we budget $150 a month for car repairs since we have high mileage cars (8 and 9 years old). Dh pointed out of we don't need to use it eventually that could be $ that could go towards car replacement.

I'm debating putting my whole budget on here and seeing if anyone sees anything I missed that can be cut.

$ 5 extra added to acct. Total added since started the thread $5

#11 ·
I was looking back on some old budgets from when we had $40K in debt. Our income was a bit less back then. Looking at those numbers I was totally blown away that we managed to live on what was left after the CC payments, car payments, mortgage and just surviving expenses. Yes costs were way down 5 years ago but still. However I about feel over seeing my old grocery price book! Wow were groceries cheaper! Our electric rates were less than half what they are now. Same satellite plan was $25 less. Same phone plan $27 less. Gee prices sure did jump!

I totally understand. How did we make it when we had Credit cards and doctor bills and we are debt free and so tight each month? I don't get it either. Maybe it is just hikes in prices.

#6 ·
We need to save our money to buy a newer car too. We are currently driving a 2001 Sebring with 220 KM on it and I can feel that the transmission is going. I'd rather buy a newer car then having to pay for a new transmission. But since I am a SAHM the savings are going to be slow. I figured I could put 150.00 into my saving account and then anything that I do to save money I will add it to the account even if it's only 0.50$. Also my husband's overtime will be going into that account.

Best of luck to you!

#7 ·
Sounds like we are doing much the thing. I hope your transmission holds out. How do you know when a transmission is going? What do you feel?

I find that really encouraging your car has over 200K and is the same year as mine! Makes me feel safer about having 150K on it. Thanks for posting! My thread was lonely. Hope we both come up with extra ideas to get $ in there faster.

On a totally separate note~ I was sure moody yesterday!! I was ashamed yesterday about being a bit worked up about the car $ being gone even though we did the right thing with it. I also sheepishly told dh that I felt kind of embarrassed to still have this car when we see some out of state family in a month.The last time they were here I had them put their kiddos car seat in my car and the person had a fit about it being dirty, etc. It was dirty! I never see the back. Someone had let candy melt! Anyways this family member always has the newest and the best. However they make 500K a year and pay cash. We were in the 50's last year with a bigger family. Huge huge difference. As in 10x the difference. I am usually perfectly happy being weird with the debt free, used stuff, always paying cash. I never feel embarrassed!~ Dhs said I must have pms! LOL

On another a separate note. We have been learning about college stuff, costs , etc. Yeah that can put you on edge a bit.

#8 ·
I don't think you should feel bad about feeling concerned. You made a decision to help someone with the money you were saving. In my world it takes a very long time to save up a bit of cash. It's difficult to see it go even for the best of things (helping someone who truly needs it or even spending it on what I was saving for).

I think you're on the right track with paying yourself first. I started payroll deductions for savings years ago. I figured if I didn't see it in my checking account, it was easier to "forget" about. Some months were tight, but I managed to leave the savings to grow. Putting savings away first is part of my payday routine since I no longer have direct deposit (had an issue & prefer to make my own deposits now).

My old beater has lots of issues, but I'm trying to keep it rolling. It needs tranny work too... it hesitates shifting up to the next gear. Sometimes it changes smooth, but then it acts up later. Its pretty noticeable if I stop & give it a little more gas when taking off. I've had the fluid changed & put in one of those additives that has helped some. This has been going on for 2 years - 10,000 miles or so (I drive it most days, but just a short distance). I'm trying to "baby" it to buy a little more time, so I can decide whether to keep repairing it or not. Did I mention I just called about new tires today? Ouch!

I'd consider spending a little money to have your car detailed before visiting family. Often, you can find a responsible teen that will do a great job for much less than the detail places. It could help you feel better about the car situation for now.

Sound like you have a great plan to get that money saved. I can't really think of anything to add there, but look forward to seeing your progress! Good Luck! Sorry, it is such a long post.

#9 ·
Thanks Janie! No apologies for being long. I appreciate it! Iit takes a long time to save in our world too. I so agree with you on the pay you first. We never would have saved for the ffef, braces or anything else if we hadn't. That is awesome you transfer it right away. It takes dicipline not to decide to skip a week!

Thanks for the explanation on how you know the transmission is going. I didnt even know there were additives for that kind of stuff. I'd keep babying it too!!!!! I put on 60 miles round trip so I hope al the highway miles are better

ugh on the tires! They do get expensive. I had to buy them last july. Bough ds one yesterday.

I think having it detailed is a great idea. I think the thing that bothers me most is the rust on one fender. It has gotten hit 3 times and for some reason the rest of the body work was fine but that rusted.
Thanks again!

#12 ·
I think having it detailed is a great idea. I think the thing that bothers me most is the rust on one fender. It has gotten hit 3 times and for some reason the rest of the body work was fine but that rusted.
Thanks again!
IF they are old cars that AREN"T worth much anyway that you plan to replace soon you can do what my father does to his cars, spray paint.

You can spent $1 or $2 for a can of silver spray paint and spray paint the bumper. He usually only sprays the part that is rusty or chipped (he has actually spray painted the actual car body when mom backed up into something to prevent rust). I know it is a silly idea, but it may work and help you feel better.

Love reading your story. It is encouraging me. I have a 1998 and 2000 car-let's talk about needing to be replaced soon. I look forward to more updates.

#10 ·
Added $30. Gee nothing like seeing dh's pay is shorted $100 again. Make that a total of $425 he is short now. The issue is payroll only deals with supervisors. His supervisor is 1700 miles away and in charge of 17 different zones which is hundreds of people. We fax the mistakes and and he is supposed to submit them to payroll, obviously that is not happening . New union contract states if it is not fixed within so many days of the mistake being submitted employee is entitled to a full days pay plus the missing cash. Dh will send in again all 4 incidences and if not resolved have the union rep fix it. Cripes all mighty a total of being shorted to the tune of $425 over this time is not small!

Of course it has to be when we are taking moms out!

#13 ·
Qsaver thanks for popping in! I think a lot really is the huge price hikes over the years.

Good idea! I had thought about that but figured it wouldn't work. Sounds like it sure will!!!!

Sounds like we are in the same boat with replacing cars. Thanks so much again for the paint idea! I'll let my son tackle it!

I need $6000 back to get what we want according to our figures. Not counting when dh is ready to replace his. Mine has 150k miles his around 100k. however his kia has always been repair free! Awesome little car!!!!!!!!

Dh is not real big on the idea of me working more than the 24 hours I average every two weeks currently because of the back issues. However I am looking into ideas for pt jobs that do not involve all the non stop standing I do at the salon. It sure would help get that car $$$ back much faster.

#14 ·
nice to know about the kia. We discussed getting one, but my husband was skeptical about it. When we were talking they were a rather new brand and he didn't know if they would stick around. I don't even have any idea how much it would cost to replace ours. I hope to spend around $5000-$6000. I just started saving-barely-$20 a month just to start. At that rate I can afford a car in about 20 years! Gotta start somewhere, though!

#15 ·
Qsaver well $20 is a start! Funny how when we really set our minds to something we find a way to make it happen. I thing good luck comes with pushing to our goals :) Here is to it not taking either of us 20 year but hey they would be collectors items by then LOL.

DH's Kia rio has been a terrific car. My 01 ford not so much. We were looking at kia sorentos and I thought the rhondo was kind of neat. Saving I go!!!!!

#16 ·
well, my brake pads need to be replaced. That is $80. I guess I will not be saving for my new car, but fixing my old one this month!

#17 ·
Thats no fun but better the $80 now instead of waiting, warping the rooters and then getting a much bigger bill.

I have never changed break pads personally but have watched dh do it. It sure doesn't take him long. Any chance someone (not the garage) could change them for you to save a few $'s?

Nothing new for me to report as far as squeeking more cash out for the car. We cut our grocery bill way down last week but got a 600 medical bill that we thought ins. would pay so that will take any savings from the groceries. My pt check should be about $50 extra friday but that will go on the medical bill too plus what I have saved the medical sinking fund. That will take care of that!

We should have a slight reduction in the cost of our health ins soon though. It won't make a big difference on dh's check but will be a much better plan so we wont have to have a sinking fund for medical bills to the tune of $58 a week

#18 ·
My car is a 98 Ford Taurus with 130,000 miles. I am fortunate because my hubby works for an autobody place that does not charge us for labor, parts only:). My hubby replaced his truck in 08. Our only debt is his truck payment and the mortgage. As soon as my car was paid off I switched to liability. My insurance is dirt cheap. I have been with Allstate since I could drive. Have shopped around and they have always been the cheapest here. Right now I am saving for the new car that I know I will need at some point. Not sure what I will start with to save. Have to check my checking account balance to see what I can take from there. Trying to get hubby on board with making extra payments on his car payment to pay his truck off before I need a new car. We talked about our tax return and decided to use part of it to make a double truck payment. He still hasn't done it:). Don't waste your money on detailing your car. You will be getting rid of it do not put money into it unless it is not running and you absolutely need to have it run. If you want to feel better, my hood has had peeling paint for years and my hubby works at an autobody place and has promised to paint it. I am not hold ing my breathe and no longer care. I have sisters that are snobs about the things they have, I could care less. Material things will not do anything for you. My car runs and takes me where I need to go. I maintain it. If there was a repair that was too costly I would sell mine to a teenager and cut back to one car and save for another. You will replace your car savings and if you have to borrow your sons car, carpool or look into public transportation. Hang in there. I know it is hard to face that empty savings and think I have to do this again. You can and you will. If you can pay off $40,000 in debt you can do anything. Cheering you on from Jersey:)

#19 ·
Thanks for such a nice message Laine and thanks for the vote of confidence! Sounds like you have a good plan. Tell your hubby to get on it and make that double payment :) Just nosy but are you a drummer? Just wondering from your avatar.

I had to giggle about you saying your paint is peeling and hubby works there. Isn't how that stuff aways goes? I do hair and my boys always are late getting cuts.

I'm not 100% what detailing is. I assume just getting a good wash and wax? I can do that. The car actually looks terrific besides the one fender where some rust came through. I'm guessing when it got hit that time I got a shitty auto body job because the other 2 spots it got creamed look great.

Ds said he can take it to shop class and fix that fender as a project if I pay for supplies and get the small amounts of rail dust off it. I am debating keeping it for my next son or getting rid of it. Honestly all repairs have been wear and tear as the garage tells me.

We are about 30 miles from work so once something isn't dependable it is gone. I'm likely being a big baby because I am freaked out having such a high mile car worrying the trans will drop or something. Every squeek or noise has me go " oh crud!" I'm assured maintained cars can go high miles no problem by the garage. I have never owned cars this long before. However to stay debt free this is the best way I think.

We do have some of the car fund left and the ffef which we wont touch for a car( too darn risky) however what is left is way way short for what I want. So plugging away it is!!!

I took my younger ds with me shopping today as he has an ortho appt in town. That kid is frugal to the core and so good with numbers it is frightening. The ladies at the bank all fuss over him every time he deposits or gets a cd. We are guessing he will be an accountant LOL. We hit Aldis which I hate going to with a passion. hate it. I really hate shopping period. I detest Aldis because of them always having 1 checker and having the line going way to the back of the store. I made myself go though because there prices are way better and I needed a bunch of basics.

DS figured out if stick pepperoni was cheaper than cut.I don't ask he just tells me. Since he is used to home cooked food he rarely asks for junk. He is good to take shopping because my brain doesnt work that well when I'm tired after work. I just want out of the store!!!!

We hit one more store having a good sale. Ds looked at the coupon kiosk and found one I needed for the natural foods section. Good kid! Got to love golden flax for .49 a lb.

We manged to get a trunk load of food for under $70. No junk. It really does pay to get that produce at Aldis! I just need to swing by Sams for the jumbo tubs of spinach and we are set. I figure we saved a good $30 by hitting Aldi's. I told ds he can come with shopping more and get a commision for sniffing out the bargains. LOL

I know we could really cut the grocery bill if we ate noodles etc but that just isn't happening.

Gee am I rambling today!!!!!!!!! Laines post reminds me I forgot to call my ins co and ask about the insurance!!!! On my list for Monday!!!!!

$30 auto draft when in the car fund today. The regular $70 went in the ffef. Will put $200 into the fuel prepay account tomorrow.

#21 ·
Hubby is the drummer. Those are his drums. Couldn't find a picture to post so I put them:). How is your budget going? Hope things are working out for you. I always get a little fear in my gut when sometimes you have to cut back. This goes back to my days of being a single mother. At that time I was always afraid of how can I do it all alone. It always worked out and I know things will work out for you too. You are doing the right thing and sometimes that is not easy but the end result is well worth it.

#22 ·
Ah now I know who the drummer is! Bet you enjoy the shows!

I can not even imagine how hard it must have been to be a young single mom. You really know you can do anything after that I bet.

Budget is going a ok. Nothing grand to add but just cutting back a bit to squeak a little more out into the areas I am saving for. Still waiting to find out when our health ins costs will drop a bit. Hopefully dh knows today.

Oh 1 frugal thing I hate but am doing this week is hanging laundry. I'll see what kind of a difference it makes on the bill. I really hate doing it!

Front end of the car is squeaking. I just had all that redone a while back so I will be complaining and not paying

Discussed with dh that if my car goes to pot we will but a small used car with what we have. I want a auto that seats 6 and can tow 3500 lbs but if mine dies before we are ready I will get a compact and when dh's goes get what we need for towing etc.

Did you get your brakes done Qaver?

#23 ·
Sound like the savings are adding up. Hope you get your dh's pay issue gets resolved quickly. Sorry to hear about the medical bill. Sometimes, they can recode & get the insurance to pay something. Hope the change in health insurance & premiums will help. Hate even thinking about medical bills & insurance. I'm about to get hit w/another premium increase in a month or so. Not sure how much more I can afford since my premuim runs $50 a week.
A newer car isn't an option I want to consider yet. However, my beater has been parked for a little over a week now. The noise is back & can't locate the part. So, the only thing he can do it grind it down again & see if it helps. I paid for my tires last week. Could use them on dh's car, but really need them on mine. Anyway, one of them will have new tires later this week.

#24 ·
yes, we did get the brakes done. The shop did it for $80. Noone in my family has the slightest idea about cars, so doing it ourselves was out of the question. I have begun a car "sinking fuund" so $40 came out of that(that is all that was in there) and $40 out of my regular pay.

On a more positive note, personally, this month is a 3 paycheck month!!! Hopefully I can start funding those extra accounts once again!

#25 ·
Janie sorry to hear the ins is going up again. Ours did that for ages also. At one point is was 125 a week but you need to have it. GRRRR

Sorry to hear they can't locate the part! Glad someone gets new tires though! Hang in there!

I've all but given up dh's checks getting fixed. It was another 100 last week. Sadly the boss has to do it and he is far far far away! Dh is trying to figure out how to go over his head as only the boss can contact payroll.

Qsaver~ Glad you got them done! Better $80 that $300 :)

I'll have to look and see if we get an extra paycheck this mnth. I just budget everything on 4 weeks so I never looked.

Something happened to the steering in the riding lawn mower. The wheel just spins and spins so I hauled that up to the shop. Please be cheap! Pushing 3 acres with hills with the reg mower bites but wow I sure got exercise!

#26 ·
I would encourage everyone to get a repair manual for their car. Many fixes are easy enough for anyone and you probably already have the tools you need. Also, keeping your car clean greatly adds to its value. A friend of mine works at a dealership and told me that they have to pay 200 bucks to have each used car they trade for cleaned. So, a good clean car is worth at least 200 more than one that is not. Plus, they always run and drive better it seems to me. By the way, I've had my Jeep for 13 years, 1997 Grand Cherokee with 220,000 miles on it. Drive it everyday and have probably not spent over 1000 dollars on it in all that time. I have a reapir manual and do all the repairs myself. If you can read you can probably fix most things yourself saving big $$$$.

#27 ·
KS~ yep there are some things dh can fix, plus maintenance ~ some he will not touch. T

LOL my car is clean besides a few wrappers etc the kids leave usually. My ds's a dump. His never needs repairs. Can't kill that escort!!!!! My taurus~ not so much! Dh never cleans his kia. Can't kill that little bugger either :) I do believe they are worth the 200 more clean. Since we don't trade in though I guess it doesn't matter quite a much.

Dh drove his car before his kia until it was worth scrap. It sure was ugly! He hit 3 deer and patched it up himself~ had tons of miles on the geo. When he bought a new car the neighbor kid ran right over to ask if we would sell it. Dh told him 100 and it was his. The kid drove it for years. However his uncle owned a junk yard for parts.

I hate to say it but I have always driven an American car. Mustang, Taurus, Cutlass. Dh has always driven foreign. Dh has always had better luck, less repairs and wear and tear type repairs.

#29 · (Edited)
Nothing major to report on the savings front. Just adding buts and pieces here and there to all the stuff I am saving for. However on the other hand I have been super upset for the last few days.

had had some jewelry come up missing from my jewelry box. My wedding ring, 2 gold bracelets, the rings dh bought my for my 1st, 2nd, and 4th anniversary's and the emerald I got for Christmas one year long ago from dh and the boys. Every favorite or valuable piece of jewelry I own is gone but ONE that wasn't in that box. . I rarely wear jewelry because of the chemicals at work . I can go weeks without looking in that jewelry box so I have no idea exactly when it happened. I have no pics to turn it into ins. It had to be someone who is a guest in our home. We regularly have all kinds of teens tromping in and out of the house so who knows who or when. I thought I could trust every one of those kids!!!!!!! Since we only have satellite in our room and the living room I thought nothing of letting kids watch tv in there, change to go swim etc. However dh is putting a lock on our bedroom door now.

Its not the $ but the sentimental value. It is a chunk of $ also. I am so heart broken over my original wedding rings missing! They can never ever be my original wedding rings from 91!!!!!! Never the wedding rings dh's proposed with. The rings I said nervously I do with. Never the ring dh's little niece was so proud she got to go with to pick out pick at 5 (lol she was so cute after I got it and was so proud she went with) . Never the ring dh sold something important to him to help buy and worked long and hard for the rest . I did a lot of bawling over that being missing. I'm mad, hurt, sad the works.

Why the heck couldn't they had stolen the replacement set that dh got me a few years back. That is way move valuable than the 1500 the original set is worth , insured and does not have the sentimental value to me! Oh I know because that ring was not in my room! GRRRr I have had a hard time sleeping for days over this and feel so sad!!!!! I could care less about the others if I can just have my original wedding ring back.

From now on no one is allowed in our room and I will be speaking to every kid that has been out here in the lasts 6 weeks! A friend suggested I also check the 4 pawn shops 30 miles away.

We found out the reduction in ins now that dh 's division is in the union plan . $56 less a week because we will not be contributing to the hsa. However long term disability is not a free benefit like it was in the non union plan so we find out as soon as the paper comes what that cost for a 5 year 70% plan. Hoping it doesn't cancel out the health savings. I will be so glad to go to a new healthy plan where is is $15 to go to the dr instead of our current 3000 deductible!!!!!!!

I'm thinking since we have to re enroll in all the benefits we may jump dh's investments outside their pension plan up a % or two if the healthcare costs work out. I know that is a bit counterproductive as far as saving for a car and the other things but it is guaranteed we will need to retire some day.

Dh has been looking at autos like crazy. There is such a great deal on one we are interested in~ just what I wanted and even the right color. . He is really pushing to take out a 1 year note on the balance we don't have. Yeah we could swing the payment but I am saying no way because you never know if something could happen. Dh wants me to run the numbers on unemployment or disability pay and look at all the scenarios. . Uh yeah sure I'll get right on it. Not!

I know I really shouldn't be that way because it is joint finances but it took to long to get out of debt to want to get back in for even a year and I flat out refuse to use the ffef $.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.