Frugal Village Forums banner

June Grocery Challenge

2K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  Mamaw 
#1 ·
Hope it's ok if I start this one.?
This month I plan to spend no more than $50 a week for groceries. Last month I started out good, but then forgot to keep track...I am hoping to do better tracking this time.:clown5:

#4 ·
I'm in for $225 for the month for 2 & $70 for pet supplies. I was over last month & need to get a handle on things. Seems the non food items are eating through my budget. Will be watching those purchases this month (limit of $25).

#5 ·
I am in at 80 per week for June. Total of 320.00 total for month.
I need to do better in tracking this spending!

#6 ·
I am in for $100. just for groceries.Have been doing pretty good but last month i may have went over some i did on gas for car and HBA products.I need keep better track of things this month.

Spent $16.66 today on grocerys still have $83.34 but also still have lot of food in pantry and freezer i need to use.

#8 ·
I did better last month and was able to stay under the $400 for actual groceries because of all the free gift cards when paying for rx transfers. If I add in the cost of the rxs than I went over by $6. Still pretty good considering how I've been doing. I'm going to try again for $400 for the 4 of us.

#9 ·
Ok...today was grocery day...Here's what I did. $129.00....SO - I'm going to try not to go to the store again for 2 weeks. I think I might be able to. There was a sell on bacon, (got several packages for freezer), and had to get some meds. That's what caused it to be high...but that's ok...I'll see if I can go two weeks....

#12 ·
This month i think i am going to do $148 for the month because i want to add to my stockpile. i have already spent $71.00 this includes some items for my stockpile. This is two weeks worth of food will only need bread.

#14 ·
Same budget, 200/250 to allow for really good sales. Not off to a good start but have found some REALLY good deals :)

#15 ·
I have a problem...and need suggestions. I am going to need to make some sort of sandwiches and other finger foods for next Saturday for a church function. I don't want to have to buy anything from the store as I am trying to go two weeks before buying groceries.

I have on hand....pbj...bologna...and not a whole lot more. Some ladies at church are making ham salad sandwiches, and tuna salad sandwiches....would it be ok to make pbj ? Or should I use bologna?

I can make some tea to take for drinks, but I don't know what else to take....any suggestions?

#16 ·
If there are kids going to this fucntion, then pb&j would be great. If not do you have cake mx on hand to make cupckaes? Or jello to make finger jello?

I spent $14.79 on bread, water, contact solution, frz veg, garlic, tomatoes and potatoes. I can't wait til the garden comes in for fresh veggies.

#17 ·
I don't know if kids will be at the function or not. It's an area sing in and we never know who will show up.

Yes, I do have a cake mix....cupcakes it is! Thanks.

#18 ·
Spent $12 at Walmart on Saturday. I didn't have a list or coupons, so I picked up just a few items. Planning to go shopping later this week.

#19 ·
I spent 52.13 at Meijer yesterday however I forgot to turn in $6.50 worth of coupons that I had stuck in my other pocket so I'll be doing a price adjustment with that when I go back up there today to pick up the rx I dropped off yesterday. With tax that should drop it a total of $6.89 putting me at $45.24.

I did really well with thier $10 for $10 get the 11th item free deals and coupon combinations. Then I was able to get another $20 coupon for a Rx fill. The $20 coupons are worth the hassle for me as I do most of my grocery shopping there but it's really obvious WHY they are doing it as the pharmacy is AWFUL!!!

#23 ·
total spent this month = 114.84
Used fresh garden lettuce, spinach and onions in salad today...yummy, healthy and frugal! YEAH gardens!

#24 ·
Upcoming Summer Challenge

Well, it's almost July and therefore my regular no-income term.
Will be posting my budget and my spending when the July challenge is up and running.

Right now, I'm gearing down in my spending, and just getting the stockpile in place to make it through the lean summer months.
Ironically, like last year, my washing-machine is again giving me problems (the agitator is squeaking loudly every time it moves back and forth). But I won't be washing laundry by hand this summer; I'll just call the repairman if need be.

I was too busy and too sick to do much gardening this spring; just as well, with all the pesticides and herbicides in the air, it wouldn't have been fit to use. But my small fruits are developing and will help me out, and with all the rain we've been getting, the herbicide effects on them will be greatly minimized. My grapevine is actually producing clusters of fruit this year for the first time, the raspberries are developing nicely, the Nanking cherries are doing well, the rhubarb is ready, and the black currents are producing their first heavy crop. I have several windfall lettuce plants that sprouted after the snow melted. And I've got some lettuce, basil, parsley, cress sprouting; and the rest is in perennial flowers, which I want to move around to less labour-intensive places. Simplify and down-size are my themes for the summer.

I have lots of projects to work on, though no cash, just the EF.
But this summer, I'll be working on sewing (my work wardrobe for next term), crafting (making some rag-rugs), music (totally re-organizing my music studio), cooking and baking, canning, berrying, gardening and yard-work, some small home improvement projects, major home cleaning, and some outings, and family visits.

Money will be tight. But the stockpile is in place, so I've got supplies, and only need a few produce and dairy items from time to time.

I'll be back later. :wave2:

#25 ·
I'm going to jump in the July challenge. I need to get a real handle on running out of milk one day and NOT checking the bread situation etc. I think I will keep all the grocery type receipts in a folder and add them maybe once a week or two instead of trying to put every little thing on here. I have to get a handle on this and figure an amount we can live with without depleting the stockpile. We're in for a rougher than rough road. So it's pen and paper for taking stock of stockpile and needed items. I'll have determined a weekly amount by July 1st. It will include dog food, HBA, our food and no over the counter meds. No prescription meds.

#26 ·
I finally went grocery shopping last night. Spent $46 at Walmart to stock up on cereal & other grocery items that are cheaper there. Only food items purchased & we stocked up (no July Walmart trip, I hope). Then $39 at grocery store. We bought extras of the sale items & have replenished the cabinets & fridge! Spent $9 on canned cat & dog food.

Also, My parents have extra veggies from their garden & I'll be picking these up later. What could be better than fresh & free!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.