Frugal Village Forums banner

Ebay buying or selling TIPS

3K views 46 replies 6 participants last post by  militlady 
#1 ·
I need a few ideas, thoughts, suggestion or tips for buying and selling on ebay. Just general ones. Maybe some urls, etc.

I had a question from someone that is a real NEWBIE and needs some help / motivation to get started. Not even registered yet.

I been selling so long on ebay, I have forgotten some things.
I did however register a new user id this summer for myself for buying but it was painfull finding things I needed.

So hopefully, we can encourage people to buy and even sell on ebay. Lots of promtions going on right now.

So this is the start page to register.
https://scgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?RegisterEnterInfo&_trksid=p5197.c0.m528

You need to have a user id figured out. A good strong password.
I use a second checking account that is for online use only. Not tied into my regular account. And if you want a second user id, you will need a different email account.

See less See more
#3 ·
I hear you on motivation :)

I have LOTS of stuff I need to get listed. Like yesterday.

Good ebay promotion right now.

eBay: Special Offer

Also a current 4 day one, to list, any start price for a fee of a dime.
Starts today.

Reactions: klean163
#5 ·
You can list either 1, 3, 5, 7, 10 day auctions.

I start with 7 day ones, then use 5 or 3 days, to get all of them to end on the same day I choose.

I would rather list beginning of the week, but for some unknown reason, I am listing end of week. Makes for fun wrapping the packages to go out, especially on the weekend.

I find it best if I have a schedule and stick to it. And or TRY to stick to it. Like shut down all other windows and work in one. What I am NOT currently doing. So bad me.

Reactions: klean163
#6 ·
I 'm not sure what I want to do yet, I was listing quite a bit over the past several years, when my second daughter was born, I stopped for a few years and starting doing craft shows instead. Now, I'm doing both and trying to get my website up and running as well.

I may give etsy a try as well, I'm already registered.

#7 ·
And if you want to buy / sell on ebay, you should have a paypal account.

I don't like all their rules, myself, but it's their site.

#8 ·
Etsy sounds real good. I have not done any listing there, but am registered awhile back.

This is the best time of year to get listings up. Lots of people looking for Xmas gifts. And or stuff to make Xmas gifts.

Craft shows are hard. I have done a few in years past. Lots of people looking for ideas. Not spending much. And the economy makes it more rough now.

#11 ·
We have some craft shows local. I hope to check out a few. I always ask a few venders on stuff I like to make, how sales are going. A gentle question :)

Even the farmer's markets crafts are slow.

#13 ·
I'm trying to get a few rambling thoughts up for someone ( not even registered yet ) who wants to buy on ebay.....as I think of them.

Don't mind me as I am also multi tasking here.

#15 ·
Well actually I can do her a favor with this auction :)

But I really really really want her to register on ebay.
Always a learning curve.

#17 ·
Ebay scares people I know. BUT.....
there are a lot of good sellers on ebay.....
just check their feedback out first.

And ebay has put a lot more safety features in.
You can bid on a auction and the only one that knows who you are is the seller and you. They MASK the user ids now.

#20 ·
At least a couple of months now.
I find it so frustrating because I like seeing what else people are bidding on. It helps give me ideas on what to put up for sale.

#19 ·
YAY :)
I found the page on ebay I wanted.
This is like a tutorical for learning how to buy.

Buying basics

#22 ·
Oh, and I love buyers who actually send emails and ask questions.
I am no mind reader.....I may have something here that someone wants to buy but if I don't know what they search for, it will just sit here on a shelf or in a box.

#24 ·
If they ask a question while the auction is live, then they get your email address if you reply back to them. If you click the right boxes.

But if they wait till the auction has ended, then ask question, then they don't get your email address.

#27 ·
Watchers are a REAL good thing :)
Hopefully one or two will follow through and bid.

#29 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.