2011 Grocery Budget Reduction Challenge - Page 14
Page 14 of 70 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516172464 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Spent $32.90 on some stockpile groceries today. Will need some more fresh fruit/veg tomorrow but that should be it for the rest of the week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Spent $71.71 on bird food today. I am going to add it to my grocery budget this month, just to track it.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mad Hen, I also have five parrots (Congo Grey, Amazon, RB cockatoo, and two very spoiled lovebirds) so I know what it's like trying to keep them in fresh fruits and veggies, to supplement their regular diet without it blowing the human grocery budget (in fact, my family knows that all the fresh stuff in the 'fridge is the parrots' and we humans get to share THEIR produce!). Something I've found that is SUPER healthy and REALLY fills them up is fresh sprouts. I buy a quality organic mix (from china prairie) and then I add bulk grains they really like (more black-oil sunflower and wheat berry, which are both REALLY cheap in the bulk bin at my local feed store). Mine eat sprouts almost every day, which has really reduced their intake of fresh fruits and veggies. You may already do sprouts for your guys but I thought I'd mention it for those that don't.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks, OOwl,

I've tried sprouts off and on, and my parrots aren't very excited about them. The finches and parakeets LOVE sprouted wheatgrass, but the bigger guys won't even try it. I've also tried the sprout mixes you can get for birds...same results. My guys are really picky. It makes me crazy, because my sister has parrots, and hers eat EVERYTHING!! Mine don't like cooked meat at all. They don't like pasta or most grains, cooked or otherwise. They aren't very interested in bread, although my little Hahn's will sometimes eat some. They DO like most veggies and fruits, and they are pretty good with nuts. Sunflower seeds - good. Pumpkin seeds - bad.

Maybe I'll try the sprouts again. I know it can take time for them to get used to certain foods, and I will typically go for a couple of months with something before I give up. Then I don't want to waste money on the same stuff, if it just ends up on the floor or worse, untouched in the bowl, so I don't buy it again. But maybe I should go a little longer and see what happens.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yesterday spent 64.26 .....stockpiled on some organic shampoo and conditioner that was on clearance, and some toothpaste! I now have enough shampoo for the rest of the year! Or to share with my daughter who is going to college in August.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mad Hen, my 18-year-old Amazon was a seed junkie when I adopted her about 9 years ago. It took a YEAR to get her converted over to a pelleted diet. I got her to eat sprouts by sprouting her favorite food, sunflower seeds. They're easy to sprout and must taste pretty good. At first, I just served them to her soaked so they looked like food she already was familiar with. Then, I'd start serving them to her with a tiny tail. When she would eat those with relish, I'd start adding the other grains. Now she'll eat the entire bowl. It's been years since she's enjoyed a dry seed.

My parrots LOVE proteins, beans, pasta, rice, and birdie bread (made with high Vitamin A baby foods). I do know what it's like dealing with a picky parrot, though. My Amazon was a tough customer due to her previous home that allowed her to have junk food. To this day, if she sees a pizza box she starts SCREAMING for her share. Good luck with your conversion process with your flock and staying on budget.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

spent 4.50 at DD basketball game yesterday (candy, and drink for the kids)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I may try that with the sunflower seeds. Mine are pine nut junkies, but they will eat sunflower seeds. Primarily, they eat pellets, but they get fresh food in the morning and a small scoop of seed at night. When I'm home all day, they get a little of whatever I'm eating. Kenya, my African Grey likes pasta, but none of the others do. Kenya is probably the LEAST picky of all of them, but he has that typical Grey attitude of "if I don't know what it is, it must be bad."
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Manhen, I love the name Kenya for a Grey! My Grey's name is Bleu. To keep this on topic, my main financial goal for 2011 is to reduce my grocery expenditures. I feed anywhere from 2 to 9 people, depending on what adult kid (and their spouses, BF, or friends happen to be with them). I'm horrible about wasting leftovers or not using all the fresh food I purchased before it goes bad. This is a HUGE challenge for me. I'm a cooker/baker and most of what I HAVE made in my kitchen requires lots of ingredients and (sometimes) costly ones. Learning to do it a frugal way. I'll be visiting this thread a lot this next year as I learn to do it better with less.

Registered User Gotonenerveleft's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just did the first shop for the month. $76.13. Mostly just meat though. Should be under budget for sure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default $275 for first shopping trip...leaving me

$140 for the rest of the month...got plenty of stuff and should be able to make it. Just need to buy milk....dh has started making bread...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oowl, if you haven't done so, you might want to sign up for the waste no more food challenge.

I'm like you. I love to bake, especially around Christmas, so I end up with all sorts of things left over. One bottle of rum to make rumballs, and I've got about 95% of the bottle left over. Same with crystallized ginger, instant espresso coffee, etc. I need a teaspoon or so in the recipe, then don't need it again until the next year (or worse, didn't like the recipe and don't need it again at all).
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was in town yesterday and stopped for milk, bread and a few other items. Spent 7.10
    Terry

Aug grocery 203.24/217.00
    Aug coupon 31.72
    YTD grocery 2057.20
    YTD coupon 410.52

New Recipe 7/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 8-16

1. clean/organize linen closet 2. organize/purge medicine cabinet 3. make at least one new recipe a month 0/12 4. learn to make 3 items from scratch 5. tame kitchen freezer 6. read To Kill A Mockingbird 7. watch Gone With The Wind 8. limit on-line game time to 30mins a day 9. write a letter monthly to MIL 10. make AND mail Christmas cards 11. repurpose 3 old items into something new 12. participate in monthly photo hunt 13. make 1 rag quilt 14. use exercise bike 4x wk 15. lose 3lbs a month 16. make work plan for camper 17. learn to back-up camper 18. participate in 1 SOTF get-together 19. complete dental work needed 20. say I Love You to loved ones daily

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok.. I didn't make it to the 16th.. and I went over!
    I thought I could do $400.00 for the month, thinking I could get away with $100.00 per week. I'm at $235.15 right now, so I'll keep shooting for the $400 for the month and see where I end up.
    I am hoping not to shop again until the 20th or 21st.
    On a positive note I did pick up some pasta and tuna fish which were good stockpile items.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

spent 14.57 today. Milk, frozen veggies on sale, salad dressing on sale, marinade on sale, beets and kohlrabi. Matched coupons to the veggies, salad dressings and marinade so saved a bit there.
    Barb
    July 2014 Goals
    Grocery challenge 500.00/0
    Menu planning - 5/1
    Christmas 2014 50/0
    Swim with Dolphin Fund 100/00
    Bedroom carpet and redecorate fund 100/00

Time Goals
    Exercise 3x per week - walk/bike/boflex/dvd/yoga class 15/1

Health Goals
    Drink 32 ounce water or herbal tea daily 31 days/3
    Sleep - retire no later than 11 in bed as opposed to on chair

UFO July - Hem Maddies dress/weed flower beds again

Every little tiny bit helps to get rid of that debt

Success is not determined by how smart we are, It is determined by the decisions we make