2011 Grocery Budget Reduction Challenge - Page 5
Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst ... 23456781555 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

January - $500 - includes everything; humans, pets, hba, etc.

I loooooove Whole Foods, just can't afford it.
    Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Pets Die

married 19 yrs to my
    mom to big J (18)
    mom to little j (11)
    Zena Cherry Max Lilly Chianti

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    peanut - Mmmm....Korean food...I hope you are getting a taste of some of those care packages!!

Yes I am! She cooks a Korean meal about once every week, sometimes more. I create my menu plan and then work around her schedule. She's in university and very busy, so it is often a cook-as-she-can arrangement.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have decided to incorporate my grocery and pet budget, just to make it easier on myself. That said, my target is going up from $300 to $400 for January. I will not be including hay/pellets/chicken food, but I will be including food for the parrots, finches, fish, bunnies, and dogs.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in!

Currently I'm spending easily $600/month (I'm sure more because of quick grabs I do for things like extra milk, cream, bread etc...) and I plan to knock it back to $300/month.

This will cover everything- food, cleaning supplies, paper products, bird food, crab food and soon to be cat food. I think it could be doable and I'm excited to try!!!

Starting February 1st it will only be DS#2 and I at home...DS#1 is already living with other students and the tennant I currently have is moving out Jan 31 and I have no intention of getting another!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    I have decided to incorporate my grocery and pet budget, just to make it easier on myself. That said, my target is going up from $300 to $400 for January. I will not be including hay/pellets/chicken food, but I will be including food for the parrots, finches, fish, bunnies, and dogs.
    I too have finches and two lovebirds! What kind of parrots do you own...I'm sooooooo jealous!!!!!!!!!

Registered User thesightofoneself's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i need to lay off the fast food. its killing my budget. i think i might do a no fast food challenge for january.

kindness is unlimited

fling: 0000/2012

2012 Goal: get out of debt
    debt: about 10,000 | owed: about 10,200

homesteading skill-a-month challenge: january/february/march - hydroponics ; april - solar heater

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by momof2boys2005 View Post
    I too have finches and two lovebirds! What kind of parrots do you own...I'm sooooooo jealous!!!!!!!!!
    I have an African Grey Parrot, four mini-macaws (two yellow-collared and two Hahn's), five budgies, and a mixed aviary of Lady Gouldian, society, owl, zebra, and spice finches.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am going to try to use $100.00 per week to start. This will be for 2 adults. It will definately include HBA and household paper supplies.

I feel so stressed in coming up with an amount because I do not want to fail my goals. I have to just "give it up" and jump in and put one foot in front of the other and TRY. If I do not succeed, I need to quit stressing myself and readjust as needed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thesightofoneself View Post
    i need to lay off the fast food. its killing my budget. i think i might do a no fast food challenge for january.
    I have a very easy and quick potato recipe, if you need one, tsoo. It uses whole-grain Dijon mustard, so it has a nice bite to it. I'll have to go back and check, but I *think* it is vegan. It is definitely vegetarian.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

With my new love for couponing I hope to be at $300 including HBA and cleaning supplies. Wish me luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Madhen: I had no idea you had that many birds! It must sound lovely at momof2boys2005's and your place. Nice to hear birds year round.

Mimijolene: wtg on the couponing! Hope it works well for you.

thesightofoneself: {{{Hugs}}} Fast food is a hard addiction to kill. I use nuts and frozen grapes to kill the cravings...and natural popcorn with nothing on it. Though some people prefer spices to nothing at all on their popcorn. I also found setting up a once a week baking day to bake healthy muffins, bread, etc. really helped. When I was rushed or in snack mode I actually had a healthy choice available.

bumplett: I agree...I'm cutting back on organic stuff because frankly, we can't afford it. I also get tired of the song and dance routine they give people. A lot of foods are organic by nature, and don't need any slick advertising campaign and doubling of price because the label 'organic' was slapped on the product. Maple syrup is one of them. I smile every time I see the organic label. Wild blueberries is another. Oh well. If people want to pay double for the labeling that's their choice.

I forgot to say my grocery bill this year will include HBA. We just don't spend enough on that stuff to keep it separate.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't know about lovely. Five large parrots yelling for breakfast doesn't exactly sound melodious. The finches and budgies do sound cool, though, and I can tell when their automatic lights go on, because they all start to sing at once.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    M

bumplett: I agree...I'm cutting back on organic stuff because frankly, we can't afford it. I also get tired of the song and dance routine they give people. A lot of foods are organic by nature, and don't need any slick advertising campaign and doubling of price because the label 'organic' was slapped on the product. Maple syrup is one of them. I smile every time I see the organic label. Wild blueberries is another. Oh well. If people want to pay double for the labeling that's their choice.

I forgot to say my grocery bill this year will include HBA. We just don't spend enough on that stuff to keep it separate.
    Hi Peanut,

I know you are in Canada, not sure if our laws are the same but just thought I would mention about maple syrup. If some buy organic here it usually is because many of certified organic farms still have to adhere to stricter regulations concerning lead in equipment, types of filtering agents, and bans on chemical defoamers. Many producers use chemical defoamers in their syrup , or take barrels of unsellable maple syrup and mix it with enough of good to make it be able to pass to sell. If they use it for health ( Maple syrup B), they don't want that in there. I buy from a farmer I can trust and don't always buy organic just wanted to address in case any might be interested.

I am in for 500.00 a month for 4, this is a good amount for me to stock up with and buy most of my organics etc ( I can buy in bulk usually for pennies on the dollar), as well as supplies for my soaps, teas , pet food .
    *Angel*

Dave R. Plan
    Step one - Done
    Step two-Done
    Step three-Done
    Step four-Done
    Step five- Working on
    Step six- almost done
    Living debt free except the mortgage and working on that !!!

Be content with what you have;
    Rejoice in the way things are,
    When you realise there is nothing lacking,
    the whole world belongs to you.

-Lao Tzu

Have Courage
    “Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires…courage.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back..." Maya Angelou

"Choose a job you love and you will never work a day in your life." (Confucius 551-478 BC)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by krbshappy71 View Post
    Isn't there anywhere else nearby to get the groceries? Or do you just prefer the one-stop shopping of Target? I'm in Loveland, I use King Soopers for groceries and Target for household. Sometimes dollar store has good deals too on both food and stuff.

You know where I'd love to blow my budget? Whole Foods....man its a good thing we don't have a Whole Foods in Loveland yet.
    I NEVER went to Target before my son was born but for some reason we just end up there now. We have a King Soopers and Safeway in Brighton that we used to go to all the time and I was so good with my list and coupons. I just need to get better and stay away from Target - I don't need any household stuff for a while - its not in the budget!
    Debt Free - except for the mortgage!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Happy Mama: I guess 'organic' does mean something to Americans then. Here we have very strict regulations on lead in anything related to food. It just is not allowed. Maple syrup here comes straight from the tree, collected in stainless steel pails. It's filtered. But when I went to see it made it had nothing chemical added to it. Just pure maple syrup. Mind you, I always buy "Pure 100%" maple syrup. Otherwise they can add corn syrup to it to extend it.

Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst ... 23456781555 ... LastLast