2011 Waste No More Food Challenge - Page 15
Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have plenty of LO's in the fridge for our lunches for several days. Tonight on the menu, oriental chicken, using up the last of the marmalade and finishing off a bag of salad.
    Terry

Jul grocery 123.04/217.00
    Jun coupon 36.88
    YTD grocery 1749.98
    YTD coupon 354.34

New Recipe 4/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 7-12

1. clean/organize linen closet 2. organize/purge medicine cabinet 3. make at least one new recipe a month 0/12 4. learn to make 3 items from scratch 5. tame kitchen freezer 6. read To Kill A Mockingbird 7. watch Gone With The Wind 8. limit on-line game time to 30mins a day 9. write a letter monthly to MIL 10. make AND mail Christmas cards 11. repurpose 3 old items into something new 12. participate in monthly photo hunt 13. make 1 rag quilt 14. use exercise bike 4x wk 15. lose 3lbs a month 16. make work plan for camper 17. learn to back-up camper 18. participate in 1 SOTF get-together 19. complete dental work needed 20. say I Love You to loved ones daily

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For lunch today, I turned leftover rice and leftover chicken into chicken and rice! Normally I would have cooked something else - something new, but I am trying really hard not to waste. My family looked at it funny, but then decided to eat it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I made sausage gravy to use up some biscuits I had left over.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
    Oh dear-- I wish you'd have posted first!

I use "old" tea for dying muslin, and handmade paper to give it an aged look, etc.

I also used to use it as a hair rinse. . . .

And I've added it to dry milk/epson salts for a bath soak.
    Thanks for the ideas. My daughter and son-in-law left quite a bit of tea when they moved out a year and a half ago, more than I will drink, so this gives me some ideas other than putting tea bags on tired eyes to help use all of the tea in the pantry. If you have more ideas, I would love to hear them. Thank you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have banana bread in the oven, and I hope it turns out okay.

I used some wheat flour that was unopened but past the "best by" date (it looked and smelled fine). I used two bananas that were getting very ripe fast, and I used two partial containers (nearly empty) of honey that were getting hard, so I warmed the honey so it would pour out. I used egg substitute that needed to be used in the next two days, and I added in some walnuts and flax meal that has been in the freezer for a while. I'm crossing my fingers on this one. In the meantime, I had better make coffee to go with the bread.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Let us know how the banana bread turns out!

For lunch we had lunch meat sandwiches to use up the bread and lunchmeat that will turn soon. Also, I threw in some of the leftover chicken for my daughter and I instead of ham, we like that better

Dinner will be a roast, but I have plans for the leftovers of that for tomorrow

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Shelli_wnj View Post
    Let us know how the banana bread turns out!
    It actually turned out pretty good. I think I should have taken it out of the oven a few minutes earlier because it was a bit dry. However, if you warm it in the microwave, it is fine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We ate all of the leftovers in the house as of today at lunch, but cleaning the fridge last night I noticed that two onions had bit the dust, so had to throw them away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had to consign four pears to the compost bin. Hopefully, they will send their pear energy into the dirt to help their brethren flora grow this spring!!

(They were sneaky. They looked fine and were firm. I kept waiting for them to get softer. I finally gave up and cut them open, to find they were all rotten inside.)
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I had to throw 2 cucumbers in the compost pile. The red peppers I used in my spaghetti sauce and the carrots I cut up and froze for a future soup or stew.

~I put pasta veggie casserole in 2 freezer containers for lunches. I guess they are my own "frozen" dinner type version.

~At my friends I left the crock pot on too long and the cheese dip was burnt and started to lump and separate.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

tonight we used up the LO corn and I cooked an extra hamburger, dh was able to come home for his break and he ate that. Finished up the last of the clementine oranges and the last piece of pie.
    Terry

Jul grocery 123.04/217.00
    Jun coupon 36.88
    YTD grocery 1749.98
    YTD coupon 354.34

New Recipe 4/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 7-12

1. clean/organize linen closet 2. organize/purge medicine cabinet 3. make at least one new recipe a month 0/12 4. learn to make 3 items from scratch 5. tame kitchen freezer 6. read To Kill A Mockingbird 7. watch Gone With The Wind 8. limit on-line game time to 30mins a day 9. write a letter monthly to MIL 10. make AND mail Christmas cards 11. repurpose 3 old items into something new 12. participate in monthly photo hunt 13. make 1 rag quilt 14. use exercise bike 4x wk 15. lose 3lbs a month 16. make work plan for camper 17. learn to back-up camper 18. participate in 1 SOTF get-together 19. complete dental work needed 20. say I Love You to loved ones daily

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I also tossed a bag of green beans. It looked fine, but when I nuked it (as per directions), several of the beans looked grey and mushy, so I decided not to risk it. Another candidate for the compost bin.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I started reading this thread and got inspired. I went and cleaned the freezer above the fridge, the fridge and the small freezer. I'll tackle the big upright tomorrow.

I tossed a good amount out and now have a batch of stew from all the leftover freezer bits and pieces going.

I found several meats I need to cook soon. So tomorrow I'll be making a big batch of meatballs, 2 roasts and a big pack of chicken. The chicken was not in the freezer long but as I was cleaning the freezer out the kitten chewed on the package!

This is good it will give me a few cooked meals in the freezer after cooking tomorrow!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I pureed up some of the leftover, cooked veggies in the fridge and added them to the hamburger rice dish we had for supper.

Pureed up the leftover mac/cheese - will add it to soup, later this week.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made a pot of soup out of leftovers today.

Leftover- escarole, romaine lettuce (that froze) 2 cups of leftover lentil soup, the end of a jar of beef concentrate, the last of the rice in the bag. Added Goya Adbo seasoning, a bay leaf, some powdered red pepper. Came out great!

Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast