2011 Waste No More Food Challenge - Page 5
Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    I imagine the dog is not thrilled with your new thriftiness.
    No he isn't! I'll be making homemade doggie cookies for him this weekend so maybe that will make him happy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default It will be delicious

Today for supper i pulled out some frozen chicken breast and put in crockpot and put in a can of cream of celery soup....added water of course to cover chicken....and let it cook all day...We also had red potatoes and string beans...We ate until we were full and then I added another can of cream of mushroom to the left over chicken in crockpot...added left over red potatoes and stringbeans...pulled out some frozen mixed veggies and through them in...will cook on low overnight and voila..supper for tomorrow...
    Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    I had several cans of just-expired condensed soup: celery, mushroom, and a can of chicken with herbs. I have tossed them all in the CP, and I just roasted a turkey, so once it cools, I am going to add it, along with some veggies, and see what results.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just added carrots and celery. I'm debating the potatoes. It still tastes a bit bland, and I'm looking at the big slab of bacon I have in the freezer...
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Threw in some egg noodles instead.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in. I am posting a pic each wednesday on my blog as a reminder.
    Mom to Duramax
    Wife to ChevyMan

2014 Goals
    Reading challenge
    Declutter challenge
    emergency preparedness
    52 week money challenge
    Homesteading challenge

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cooked up a pot of Hoppin John for New Year's Day. Used up some celery and carrots that needed to be used up. Made coleslaw to go with it. No food thrown out today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So good to see all of the creatvity at using up food so it doesn't go to waste! Keep those ideas coming! Tomorrow night I am going to be roasting some brussel sprouts and some butternut squash, both of which have been in my fridge a bit too long!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I tried to shop carefully for our week in the condo, but when we were getting ready to leave, I still had several items that were either unopened or had been opened and barely used. These could not go back on the play with us because either they were perishable or we did not have room in our luggage, and I could not bare the thought of throwing it away. I bagged the items and sent them with DH to the rec center since he had to return a game we borrowed. The folks working there were happy to take the items, so I am so glad I sent them with DH rather than trashing good food.

P.S. I used the leftover bread to feed the birds along the beach.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I tried. Had some rolls for dinner that have been in the freezer for I don't know how long. They tasted a bit off so I'll take the rest, about 4 and pitch them in the yard tomorrow for the birds.
    Terry

Sep grocery 46.74/217.00
    Sep coupon 5.65
    YTD grocery 2383.51
    YTD coupon 465.64

New Recipe 7/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 9-4

1. clean/organize linen closet 2. organize/purge medicine cabinet 3. make at least one new recipe a month 0/12 4. learn to make 3 items from scratch 5. tame kitchen freezer 6. read To Kill A Mockingbird 7. watch Gone With The Wind 8. limit on-line game time to 30mins a day 9. write a letter monthly to MIL 10. make AND mail Christmas cards 11. repurpose 3 old items into something new 12. participate in monthly photo hunt 13. make 1 rag quilt 14. use exercise bike 4x wk 15. lose 3lbs a month 16. make work plan for camper 17. learn to back-up camper 18. participate in 1 SOTF get-together 19. complete dental work needed 20. say I Love You to loved ones daily

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Whew.........for a new recipe tonight I was able to use up some Pizza Quick, pepperoni, cheese, and a red pepper that was 'close'........glad those are gone.

I did have to toss a green tomato that was in the garage (out of my garden) and probably couldn't take the cold......bad news.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Does anyone have an idea for a jar of cheese wiz? I bought it to make a broccoli casserole with for Christmas and only used a half cup. I don't really care for the stuff, but maybe mixed in another dish won't be too bad.

Also Corn Flakes cereal. Same thing, bought it for a recipe for a Christmas dish. Don't think anyone likes it for cereal. Maybe there will be a muffin recipe on the back. It's just sitting on top of my fridge probably getting stale.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
    Does anyone have an idea for a jar of cheese wiz? I bought it to make a broccoli casserole with for Christmas and only used a half cup. I don't really care for the stuff, but maybe mixed in another dish won't be too bad.

Also Corn Flakes cereal. Same thing, bought it for a recipe for a Christmas dish. Don't think anyone likes it for cereal. Maybe there will be a muffin recipe on the back. It's just sitting on top of my fridge probably getting stale.
    Does it need to be vegetarian?
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 20 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Peanut Butter Cornflake Crunch Bars

"A very simple to make bar cookie that kids love. Sort of like a peanut butter rice krispie treat, except made with cornflakes."
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 cup light corn syrup
    1 cup white sugar
    1 cup smooth peanut butter
    10 cups cornflakes cereal
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. Cook syrup and sugar until mixture comes to a boil. Stir constantly; do not overcook.
    2. Remove from heat, add peanut butter, and stir until smooth. Pour mixture over cornflakes in a large bowl. Mix until cereal is thoroughly coated.
    3. Spread in a buttered 9 x 13 inch pan and press down lightly with buttered hands. When cool, cut into squares

All Easy Cooking recpes using cornflakes and cheerios

For the Cheese Wiz, how about about making a chili dip out of it. You know, like mix with some hot chili beans and mic. Serve with fritos. Or maybe melt and drizzle over a bowl of chili, add chopped onions, tomatoes a spoon of sour cream. I used to order something like that on a pier in a bay in Cal, It was awesome!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My family loves these cornflake things, but I've not made them in a very long time...kinda forgot about them.
    Thanks for sharing and reminding me of this recipe!!

I definitely want in this challenge! I try really hard to use up all our food, but I'm always game for new ideas!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Palooka View Post

I had about four boxes of cereal with bits and pieces in them back before Christmas. I took and put all of them together in one of the cellophane bags and crushed it all using my rolling pin. Then, I made up a batch of bran muffins, and I stirred the crushed cereal into the bran and added cinnamon. My family loved the muffins. It gave bran more taste and texture.

In addition, I recycled the cardboard boxes and saved the other cellophane containers to use for other things.

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast