Frugal Village Forums banner

2011 Waste No More Food Challenge

24K views 526 replies 59 participants last post by  MakeADollarHollar 
#1 ·
I came across a blog awhile ago where she posted pictures of all of the food she wasted throughout the year. Well, I waste way too much food and I need to do way better at this and to keep myself accountable. Plus it will help on my grocery bill! I'm going to try to do the Menu planning challenge to help me along with this. Anyone in with me?

#4 ·
I NEED this challenge more than any of the ones I have signed my self up for in the new year! I am very bad about this. My fridge as of right now, is packed....and most of which has to be thrown out! It's awful. I want to be more frugal and less wasteful, and this food issue is a big problem for me. So I will be concentrating on this more than anything in the new year! There is absolutely no reason why I should have bad food in my fridge!

#5 ·
This is a great challenge. I will be doing this one, too. I made some progress in this area last year with leftovers bc the baby started eating solid foods and he eats the leftovers the next day. But we throw away way too much produce. What a waste of good, healthy food!

Reactions: ml2620
#7 ·
my family waste a lot. the only thing i tend to waste is potatoes so i try not to buy them at all and i'll open a soda, drink half and get sick of the taste and throw it out

#12 ·
Yep, I'm in. Both feet.

I'm looking for a way to reduce our food bill so I have more money to go towards my puppy fund and stockpiling, not wasting food seems like a great place to start.

#18 ·
Holy mother of Zeus. I've been horrible with wasting produce among other things. Count me in.

I really need to plan better.

I have 3 peppers and some onions that really need to go in the freezer, but for some reason it seems like such a civil duty or something...

#19 ·
This is one area where I really really need to change my ways. I am awful about buying yogurt, eating them and then the next time I am in the store buying more only to have them sit in the fridge and ruin. I probably have 6-8 cups in the fridge now that are way beyond the expiration date. Plus produce I buy it thinking the kids will eat it only to let it go to waste also..and the left overs.. I could probably cut my grocery bill by 1/4 if I was more careful with what we eat.

So count me in..

#20 ·
okay what else would you add........

i took the left over potato, roast and carrots and put into crockpot and added some gravy....I am going to add some onions also...if i can find some peas... i will add them to... what else would you add to the stew....

#21 ·
I am in. DH will happily eat leftovers but I buy way too much produce, thinking it will get eaten and then end up tossing it out. I need to only buy 2 or 3 pieces at a time and use them up. I also have a dehydrator and a freezer so there is no reason I dont use up every little bit. But first I need to work on my mindset of over buying....too much quantity will never get used regardless if I preserve it or not.....

#26 ·
Count me in on this challenge. I also have gotten careless in my waste of food. I need to get a new system going.:bolt:

#27 ·
Ok, here is the reason I started this thread. Garbage day is tomorrow, so I cleaned out the fridge tonight. This is absolutely NOT happening again... Here is what I pitched today...

2 Greek Yogurts
3 Bananas
4 Apples - those went out to the bird feeder
3 packages of lunch meat
5 Jello Mousse Cups
1/3 Carton of Beef Broth
2 cooked chicken breasts
1 bag Shredded Potatoes
1 Bag o' Salad
1/4 of a red cabbage
1 Shallot
1 Pkg of Celery
1/2 Gallon of milk

Ok, by my estimation this is approx $25 worth of food going into the trash. Horrible, I will not let this happen again...

#28 ·
I guess to get a fresh start on this challenge I'm going to have to clean out the house fridge and the garage fridge.

Okay, plan in place.

-tomorrow clean house fridge
-day after, clean garage fridge

#30 ·
Got mine cleaned out and ready to go for this challenge. I didnt think to keep a list of what I tossed..but from memory

1 bottle dressing (someone gave it to me nasty)
3 oranges
3 grapefruit
8 yogurt (these went into the dogs food)
1 bottle molasses ( atleast 5 yrs old)
2 plums
1 container blueberries
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 kiwi

#31 ·
I need to join this challenge. We do waste to much. Like others produce seems to be the biggie here. I need to clean out my frig right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.