Frugal Village Forums banner

What do you consider a spend day

Tags
day spend
2K views 21 replies 21 participants last post by  MsMarieH 
#1 ·
I don't count paying regular bill,such as rent cc,phone,internet,hospital,but i do count grocery,hba,gas for car and service jobs for car.What do you count? I may be doing mine all wrong.Thanks

#2 ·
I don't think there is a "wrong" way, as long as you are consistent and realistic.

I don't count recurring bills, such as mortgage, utilities, etc, because I could be the best non-spender in the world, get everything via barter, and I'd still have to pay those (or move to an undeveloped country).

I count pretty much everything else, though.

#3 ·
I don't count bills but everything else. I also count what DH spends since we both work from home and are together 24/7. :)

Reactions: piney
#6 ·
I don't count regular bills and mortgage. Most are set on automatic

I count everything else:
Send lunch money to school - count
gas in vehicle - count
pick up a soda - count
copay at doctor - count
prescription - count
any car repair -count

That is what I count That might be why I have more spend days then some

#7 ·
I also don't count bills.

I count the money I give DH as a bill, and therefore not a spend day. I could never keep up with his spending. He usually gets a 50 cent soda for lunch every day at work, but some days that is all he has for lunch. He works hard and spends less than $80 a month on all his stuff. If he is willing to work, and needs a candy bar, go get it (he works in a grocery store, so usually picks something up every day and brings part of it home to finish as a snack).

I also don't count gas.

I count groceries, drug store, convenience store pick ups, newspapers, fund raisers, church events other than regular tithes and offerings (money to buy children's church bells, etc)

#8 ·
I, personally, don't count bills. However, anything that isn't paying a bill is up for grabs. Even that $0.85 in the vending machine, at work.

#14 ·
I don't count regular monthly bills, gas in car, mortgage, and dr. bills, groceries, and maintenance to my car.

#15 ·
I am thinking your regular monthly bills would be considered
no spend in how this challenge is set up.

And groceries. But if your budget is say $ 300 for the month, and you overspend by $ 50, then the amount overspent would be considered a spend day/s.

Gas, so much a week for your budget would be a no spend.
But if you buy extra gas, because you have to go more places, then that should be a spend day.

I think this challenge is about what one spends without a plan in place / a budget. Spending extra, because something is on sale for example, but do you really need it ?

Maybe picking up a cup of coffee when you're on the road, when you should have took along a thermos. But maybe you rationalize that money is your personal allowance and you don't have to track it.

It's going to come down to how you set up and then manage your budget. The idea would be to know where your money is going on a regular bases. And then how to control it better.

#16 ·
I'll participate and shoot for 15 no spend days. I'd previously aimed for 20, but I'm going to make this a bit more realistic on myself given that I've never tried to do this before.

1/1 - spend day
1/2 - no spend day

#17 ·
This is what works for me:

I count as no spend the things that are paid automatically. These items come out of a separate account. I have my bills, utilities, insurance, church contributions paid from here.

Food, gas and other spending comes from "cash" money so I count it as spend. Even when these items are budgeted I count them. My purpose in this challenge is to stay out of the stores (I tend to buy more than I should) and to try and stay organized in my spending.

Just what works for me. Everyone is different.
:grwave::grwave:

Reactions: NikoSan999
#20 ·
The only things I don't count is paying bills or giving the kid money for school. However, if it is money that I, myself, give to the school then it is a spend for me...don't know why, just do.

Agree with madhen...there is no option to the bill paying.

Neither is gas really but count it as a spend. Count doctor, prescriptions, groceries, post office, eating out.

#21 ·
I count every single purchase, even groceries, household items, gas, etc. If cash or my card comes out of my wallet, it's a spend day. I buy everything using my CC for the rewards, so I count it on the day I purchased it, but I don't count again when I pay the balance each month. The only bill paid automatically out of my account is the cell phone and I count that the day it's charged to my CC.

#22 ·
I don't count bills that I have set up on autopay (vehicle payments, mortgage, utilities, etc.). I also don't count gas, as I do very little driving other than to and from work or my association meetings, both of which are required. Most of my errands can be done along the route on the way home, not taking me more than a few miles out of the way. I also don't count my association meeting expenses, which are reimbursed.

Although I count things like groceries, errands (postage, pet supplies, haircuts, etc.), I'm not super concerned with them. After all, if I'm out of kitty litter, the money needs to be spent!

My primary purpose in participating in the no spend days is to restrict my spending on lunch/takeout (far and away my worst bad habit for frittering money), and other truly frivolous things like vending machines or magazines. That's what I really want to curb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.