Frugal Village Forums banner

Angela's 2011 confession and resolution

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Imarachne 
#1 ·
So firstly I have a bit of a confession to make...I tried starting one of these this time last year and never came back :( I changed jobs in October '09 and as a result took at $220 per fortnight (post tax) pay cut. It was the best thing to do for every reason, except financial and i am much happier now then I previously have been.

As a result though, I am in a bit of a financial pickle! I am behind in my half of the rent. Due to hubby's work fluctuations, he pays so far in advance that it hasn't effected us. My credit card has maxed out and im not as far ahead in the store finance as i had previously hoped.

The last 12 months I haven't really looked at my budget...just sort of stuck my head in the sand got through BUT now I have had 2 pay rises and now get $100 per fortnight (post tax) then when I started the new job. Hopefully another one will come in July, but it depends on what the union pulls off (I work in state government).

My plan for January to June:

Car Rego and repairs due 15 Feb - $1000
Pay outstanding rent from 17 Feb to 12 May - 5 x $350.00 = $1,750.00
Loan for University trip due 9 June - $860.00

Plan for July to December:

I should hopefully get a tax return of approx $3,000 in July/August. which will be used to pay off my mastercard and the store finance.

Following on from that, my challenge will be to stick to my budget and start saving some money and paying more towards my personal loan.

Most importantly, I must check into the forum/this thread to ensure that I stick to my plan :)

Sorry for my ramble....I am procrastinating from completing an essay!

See less See more
#4 ·
In line with taking away temptation, I have set up periodic payments for rent, loan, cc, store finance and mobile. Insurance (car, contents and health) get direct debited. The cc and keycard for my bills account have also been put away.

Now on pay day, I just go to the bank and withdraw the cash from my spending account which covers pocket money, food shopping and public transport.

Now all i have to do is go online periodically and double check my balance and set up future periodic payments for whatever is needed. Ill also have to go online when electricity is due so i can transfer the appropriate amount to hubby to pay.

Hopefully this will work out well. All my bills will be paid without me having to go and do it myself and it takes away the temptation of withdrawing extra or spending on things that I shouldn't.

#6 ·
Personal challenges should be posted to the blogs Frugal Village Forums - Blogs. Or I can merge this in with the group challenges. Let me know which you prefer and much luck on your goals. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.