Frugal Village Forums banner

Theresa's Work Place Challenge

943 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  mauimagic 
#1 ·
I love my job, but there are a couple of things associated with it that are costing me a fortune! I WILL fight the temptations, and this will be my accountability thread, lol.

Parking Fees: If I want to park in the parking lot, it costs me $9 a week. (I work Wed-Sun, and get free parking on Sat. and Sun.) I have found a FREE place to park, only two blocks further away, which is great! Unfortunately, its not in the best area, and often, the snow plows pile up the snow directly in this area, lol.

My goals: Park free EVERY day, and find an alternative free spot that is a little more weather friendly.

Lunch: Lunch usually costs about $5 a day in our cafe. I don't have time to go out to lunch, so I have to eat at work...which means the best option is simply to BRING my lunch everyday...no matter how much I crave the cafe's chicken panini, lol. The cafe is closed on Sundays, so I have to bring my lunch then, anyway.

If I can actually MAKE it through these goals and not give in to taking the easy way out, theoretically I could save up to $136 a month!

EXTRAS: I have an event I have to work this Saturday...Carnevale! I did purchase a $12 mask to wear, but decided to revamp something from my closet to wear instead of purchasing a new cocktail dress or costume.

I'm also going to need some new pants, lol. My khakis are literally falling off of me, lol. I'm going to try to make do with the other work pants I have (I can wear black, and have plenty of those) until summer, when hopefully I'll have lost a little bit more weight. Even then, any new work pants will probably come from Goodwill, lol. That's the goal, anyway!

See less See more
#2 ·
January Progress:

Parking: I've parked in the lot twice this month so far...spending $6

Lunch: I bought two lunches and several snacks for a total of about $15

Extras: $12 Carnevale Mask

TOTAL: $33 that could have gone in the savings account :bang:

Hopefully I won't have to update this particular post, because I plan on spending no more money the rest of January, lol.

February Goal: Budget of $20 parking/lunch expenses for "emergencies only"

Reactions: bridge
#3 ·
Great goals Theresa!! what if you post your successes instead of whoops moments? I'd love to cheer you on everyday that you parked for free and brought your lunch too!! Just a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.