Frugal Village Forums banner

2011 Christmas Fund Challenge

4K views 70 replies 22 participants last post by  frugal me 
#1 ·
I'm starting a christmas fund challenge for my self for 2011.
My goal is to have $600 saved by Dec. 1, 2011.
This will be for the gifts that I don't make, decorations, Xmas dinner and so on. I probably will not spend it all (that's a high amount for us), but want to be really ready next year.

Anyone care to join me?:swave:
I've already got $50 to put into my xmas tin to start with.

#2 ·
we tend to buy gifts as we find them so it doesnt effect our december budget as much. you have a great idea though with coming up with a christmas fund

i have $50 to my name but i'm in

#3 ·
TSOOS - you crack me up - always enjoy your perspective!!

Frugal me - great idea!!

We always need to come up with about $1000 for travel at the holidays - Christmas and New Years - and I know that's crazy - but that's just for interisland travel!! Bottom line is that it's the only time the whole family is with DMIL - so it's a priority for all of us.

So I'll need to put $25 (roughly) into svings weekly. Am not sure how I'll do it, but I am in!!

Reactions: thesightofoneself
#5 ·
Whew - am glad that I found where this thread was hiding itself - am going to need it more accesible - especially during the next few weeks when our pockets are squeeking!!

I need to do this every Friday - since once a week gets away from my mind too easily. So yesterday I put $25 in an envelope - my first contribution of many!!

#6 ·
I'm in! Thanks for starting this challenge - I just put my first $20 in an envelope this weekend - glad to find this thread! I started my goal small, at $480 ($40/month). We'll see how it goes!

#9 ·
I'm in. Every year I say I'm going to do better and the last couple of years have absolutely continued to get worse from my planning/preparing/being frugal prespective. Once upon a time I did phenomenally well with a VERY limited budget. It came down to being prepared. Somewhere I lost that.

I'm going to shoot for $1000 Chrismas budget this year. It won't necessarily be money in an evnvelope that will be spent in Dec. but as I buy/make/stick money up I'll add it to the total.

The $1000 will be my MAX to cover everything food/gifts/extra time off ect. and I will be shooting to keep it MUCH lower.

#13 ·
I do this every year.I save a toonie a day.I have index cards for each month and when I add each toonie to the bag I mark off a day.This way I know exctly where I am at.I roll these up and take to the bank end of Oct to start spending for Christmas.Nov1 it starts all over again.Best plan I ever came up with.

#16 ·
good idea Ashley - that 's what it's there for!1

Made my second deposit on Friday!!

#18 ·
These funds are going to mount up sooooo quickly!!

Reactions: Labontet
#19 ·
Is it too late to join? My plan is to save $20 a payperiod & have $60 so far. My Christmas budget is around $400 & any extra $$ will be needed for January/February 2012 birthdays. Gotta plan ahead for those too as the budget isn't very flexible right after Christmas.

I really need to figure out that year round shopping thing so I can enjoy the holidays more. Wish I could think up some really neat gifts over the next month or so.

#26 ·
I have been doing this for a few years, through payroll deduction. I deposit $38.50 per pay in the Xmas club. If you haven't had a Christmas fund before, you will love it! I still buy gifts through out the year, so I may actually have too much saved & the surplus gets deposited in the savings. It's just so nice to know that in November I will get a fat check of $1000.00. I always spend a hundred or more on the food pantry in December, then I have DH, the kids & my staff to buy for, as well as extra food & entertainment costs. Also, this gives me a cushion since I always find something on a really good sale when I am out in the stores. Good job everyone!!

#27 ·
It's Friday so I added another $25. While I do have automatic savings, I want to do this one on my own - just to prove that I can!!

#28 ·
Added to the fund this week for my Feb Goal. 40 per month is the goal for the year.....

#29 ·
Just added to my total and updated my siggie - $60 so far! Anything I can save will beat having to scrounge for money in December.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.