Frugal Village Forums banner

No Groceries for March

3K views 33 replies 7 participants last post by  MsMarieH 
#1 · (Edited)
Let's try this again... shall we?

I bombed for February. I couldn't resist a local Kroger going out of business.

But I'm willing to try again!! Exceptions include needed items - and perishables, such as milk/bread/eggs/etc.

Not off to a great start, but I really did need shaving cream ... well.... sorta... I was almost out (hubby & I share items like this)

March 1st
I went to Publix to get shaving gel that was BOGO (w/ coupons)

I bought 12 cans, spent $7.02

Gave the kids $3 to get drinks out of the vending machine - I know, I know -

Total spent: $10.02

Shaving cream will be for hubby & I both. He's thrilled to use pink floral smelling cream :toothy: LOLOLOLOL.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll join you. I've got my pantry/freezer stocked and my menu plan made. Subject to change of course, but at this time, I think I can make it through pretty much the entire month without getting anything except maybe some fresh produce/milk. I'm going to make a concerted effort to not set foot in there, but use substitutes instead.

#4 ·
I will try, except our freezer is looking pretty bare, and our pantry is getting there quickly. I KNOW I am going to buy a lasagna this weekend. It is on one of those meal deals, buy lasagna, get bread, side, and dessert free. I need the lasagna anyway, so I will get this deal but that is all.

I will also be spending on diapers, formula, bread, milk, formula. I am pretty stocked on diapers. I am going to buy one LARGE can of formula at Sam's so, those should be taken care of this week.

I am going to use the money I usually spend on groceries on doctor bills so I can get back to saying I am debt free except the house!

#5 ·
Okay, my challenge will be that I will buy only perishable things (dairy and meat) and fresh produce this month. I need to use up some eclectic things in my pantry, and I suspect I'll need to buy veggies and meats to make sense of some of the pantry supplies.

#6 ·
madhen, I'd be curious to hear some of your recipes for those eclectic pantry items :toothy:

#8 ·
What kind of things do you have that you are considering eclectic? I have an extensive cookbook collection and might be able to share some ideas...

I got a coupon yesterday from Jewel that for the month of March, they will let me get 15% off their store brand products, all month. Although I am already pretty much fully stocked for March, I may end up going shopping specifically to build my stockpile for the future, which is something I have been wanting to work on. I don't often get coupons that apply to the store brand, you know? Will have to think about this.

#9 ·
It's not the specific items, it's the collection. :) It includes several cans of red chili sauce, Panko crumbs, fermented black beans, Szechuan chili sauce, oyster sauce, etc and so on. Add to that my decreasing desire to eat meat (other than eggs, since I get those from my chickens and know they are cruelty-free), and recipes get limited.

#10 ·
I had to go out and do a big shopping trip today, due to my avian vet telling me that Herbie's cholesterol is too high. He is off seed completely, so I needed some healthy alternatives to save my ears, when he started to complain (as I knew he would). I think that I'm set for March, however, except for the classifications listed above, so I am officially in the challenge starting...NOW. :D

#11 ·
I wonder how many quiche recipes you could come up with madhen?

I *need* a few things, like milk - so I think I'll stop by Target to use my g/c for the purchase.

Reactions: madhen
#13 ·
I'm chugging along nicely at the moment. No need to go to the store any time soon. :)

HOWEVER, I may do a specific stockpile trip with none of the food being intended for my March eating. This is due to a convergence of several factors:

1) Received my tax refund
2) Received a coupon from my grocery store with a coupon good for the entire month for 15% off all store brand products (many of which are currently BOGO sales)
3) It will be a done deal for sure if my grocery store also does the refund rewards program they have done the last two years where when you buy a store gift card (usually from mid March to mid April), they give you an extra 10% credit on the gift card. This one is not definite yet, but it will put it over the top for me to do a stockpile trip if so.

#14 ·
Hey, I totally want to do this too! Need to find some money somewhere to pay for two big bills that fall soon...am going to be trying to spend no money at all on anything if possible, fingers crossed!

Have plenty of food in, may get inventive towards the end of the month tho! Figure we will get through all fresh fruit/ veges and then once gone supplement through garden/ frozen/ canned/ tinned etc stuff ... may need to buy some milk powder tho!

#16 ·
This week I bought milk, lettuce, oranges and lunchables.
I buy the lunchables once a month when the school does hot lunch. It costs $6/kid for hot lunch and the lunchables cost $2 each. My kids love the lunchables because they never get them so it is still a treat for them but one that saves us money.

So I am on track so far will need to pick up some more fruit at the end of the week though.

#17 ·
I did go to the grocery store with a friend this weekend, but I am not going to count it against this challenge. We only bought exactly the citrus fruit we needed for canning Lemon Prune Honey Butter and Citrus Marmalade. We didn't buy one single extra thing otherwise. All of the jars we made are going in my stockpile and future gift baskets. I don't plan to eat any of them in March.

Hopefully nobody thinks I'm cheating. If necessary I can use these canned goods as bribes to buy your silence and acquiescence. ;) LOL

Other than that, still cooking entirely out of the pantry and freezer. No grocery stocking needed at this time. :)

#18 ·
I went to Publix last night - I wanted to take advantage of just a little bit -

4 bags of New York Bagel Chips (really, we needed some snacks for the lunch boxes)

4 bags of Halls cough drops (they were free + overage)

8 Old Orchard frozen juices -

Organic Lemon Juice in the little squeezy thing - I was out of it, so needed more.

8 bags of rice (free)

2 boxes of milk bone dog treats - no, I didn't need them - but commmmme onnnnnn

total after coupons: $8.99 minus gift card from a previous return -

total out of pocket: $3.85

#19 ·
so far - I'm sorta doing well.

well,

sorta.

I went to Ingles just for produce - and milk & cheese.

I spent $46

but got a lot of fresh produce - including eggplants - yummy!

still working on cleaning out the pantry -

I baked an apple pie last night and made a batch of brownies just to use up some of the stockpile.

#21 ·
I still haven't had to buy pet food - still stocked up :)

so far I'm hanging in there - I didn't even look at the grocery flyers this week !

#25 ·
I'm feeling really good about the month as a whole!!

I need another run for produce, but we are certainly eating well, and I'm clearing out the shelves of the freezer as much as I can -
I also took another trip to the food bank to donate - we don't need to eat some of this crap. WHY did I buy hamburger helper?

I'm refusing to buy meat - so my hubby, who's craving meat - and hardly ever eats fast food - he couldn't take it anymore - he went to Wendy's to get a burger! LOLOL!

I've made a huge dent this month, not only in my monthly grocery costs, but also in pantry space.

#26 ·
I did have to go to the grocery store on Friday night. We unexpectedly made plans to meet the neighbors for cards and dinner on Saturday night and because it was a gorgeous day in the 60s (first time this spring) we wanted to grill (my world famous "can't share the recipe" garlic) steaks, so I had to pick them up, along with some mushrooms and asparagus.

While there I picked up 10 cans of progresso soup (normally $2.29, on sale for $0.88) and 10 cans of beans (since I used mine up cooking chili last week, on sale for $0.89) to add to my stockpile. NOTHING else (and I'm sure you'll all agree that is somewhat of a major accomplishment for staying on task in a grocery store. LOL).

So, not a grocery free month, but overall, pretty darn good.

Other than adding things to my stockpile if they have any great sales next week, I have no need to return to the grocery store this month.

So overall, I think I did pretty well and I could actually pretty much cook out of my pantry for most if not all of April too, except for some milk and fresh produce (and that will start reducing later when my vegetable garden gets going). Honestly, I barely made a dent in there this month - I "maybe" reduced my chest freezer contents by 10-20%?

Heck, I'm pretty sure I still have a pork tenderloin, ham and two turkeys (plus more stuff!), so that's practically three weeks worth of meals right there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.