Frugal Village Forums banner

Pay cut on the table

Tags
cut pay table
3K views 27 replies 24 participants last post by  lt98672 
#1 ·
Union meeting today - on the table is a 6% paycut for teachers - as all the prices around us are going up. Belt tightening time - again. Will find out details laterr as I couldn't go to the meeting.

#4 ·
Oh Maui :hugz: I'm sorry.

#7 ·
I'm so sorry. Didn't they cut one day of work quite awhile back and the pay to go with it?
Let us know and again so very sorry.

#10 ·
Mahalo friends. Last year we had furlough days - 14 I think - no pay. Now we will be having a cut in pay and have to work the full schedule. Not that I'm complaining - I'm thankful that I have a job with benefits and the opportunity to pick up extra money teaching the severe students during the summer. No other state employees have had their salaries cut so far - they always go for the teachers and then complaing that we don't have great teachers nor good test results.

#13 ·
Thinking of you MM. Our district had meetings last night and are doing a lot of cutting of staff in less essential learning opportunities. Our state also hasn't decided but we may be getting 0% allowable growth. Meaning no new monies into all districts plus they are trying to take away some of our collective bargaining rights. (Health insurance issues) Very sad times. You can do it!! I know it will be hard but if anyone can do it you will.

#14 ·
so sorry to hear it I know its no consolation but its happeneing everywhere With the rise in pricesits even harder hang in there girl

#17 ·
I'm sorry to hear this. Agreed that teachers need to be valued more and compensated according to their true worth. Two years ago, my company suspended all health/dental benefits, 401k matching, and cut our pay 10% across the board. It was tough to stomach, tough to keep the same level of commitment to a company that is giving less and expecting MORE from its remaining employees. I've struggled with that a lot, but, like you, I'm just thankful to have a job when so many don't. My husband has insurance for us through his job, but it's scary nonetheless. Many of the people I work with don't have/can't afford health coverage AT ALL. I'm sorry for your reduction in salary. I hope its impact to your budget will be minimal. You have my compassion.

Reactions: mauimagic
#19 ·
Interesting enough, they never cut the pay of firefighters and policemen here - shows how they value education!!

#25 ·
You know what irritates me waaaaaaayy more: sports players. How do you even compare who is contributing more to our society teachers vs sports players. Sorry NO CONTEST!!! Doesn't the pay cut have to be voted on MM?

And I'm not sure how, but boy are we being lied to (whether straight out or my omission) about the lottery giving so much to schools. If that were true the schools would not be in so much trouble!!!!!!

#21 ·
So true Maui! An area school district just announced that they will be cutting 165 jobs, most of them teachers. Now of course the amount of students is staying the same, growing even. How are all the teachers that are left supposed to take on the increase of those students? It's just not right.

Another local school district put out and emergency call on the local news saying they were in deep trouble with the cuts and wanted people to send them ideas on how to make up the deficit now that the state cut their budget. They set up a website for it, open to the public to throw out any and all ideas. They do not want to fire the staff.

I think I'd like to see our elected officials start making some big cuts to their pay, benefits and pet projects. They say we all have to cut back, let's see them set the example. They need to led the pack. I'd feel much better if beans and buttered noodles started hitting their supper tables too.

#27 ·
I think I'd like to see our elected officials start making some big cuts to their pay, benefits and pet projects. They say we all have to cut back, let's see them set the example. They need to led the pack. I'd feel much better if beans and buttered noodles started hitting their supper tables too.
I couldn't agree more.

It's difficult to deal with pay cuts & such, but why are some except from these issues. Cuts should be across the board for all if they need to happen.

#23 ·
Good points friends!!

#28 ·
I can feel your pain. I have a monthly lay off day, 3% pay cut and my health premiums went up. Now they are talking about shutting our office down. I only work 30 hours a week now and make only $13 an hour. I work for the State. Popular belief is that if you work for the State you are making good money. Yeah..right. The motto for our state is to do "less with less". We already tried to do more with less and that didn't work. Unfortunately its our children that are suffering as I work for the Children's Administration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.