Frugal Village Forums banner

December Find Money Challenge

2K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  MaryinFL 
G
#1 ·
This is a personal challenge to myself, but if anyone wants to join in, feel free!

For us, it seems like money just goes out the window in December. There's Christmas of course, and then we have to fill the oil tank, and we usually eat out too much, and.... well, I plan for December to be a big spending month, but it's still kind of surprising every year.

So this year, I've decided rather than worrying about all the extra money that will be spent, I'm going to focus on FINDING as much money as I can. It helps that this is 3 paycheck month for me. Here's what I'm working on so far:

*Reimbursements from our FSA. I went through receipts and found $261.21 in expenses I can submit for reimbursement.
*Reimbursement from the our health insurance plan for the wellness benefit. I have $190 left, can submit receipts for DH's gym membership.
*We had an issue with health insurance that got double paid - we paid the hospital and the insurance went back and also paid on the claim - so the hospital should owe us $500. I just went though and pulled all the related documents so I can start calling.
*We have a $363 "cash back" balance on our credit card. I asked for this to be applied as a statement credit in Dec.

So far, that's just over $1300! I'm hoping that I can find more stuff I can go after. I want to keep a running tally of how much I can recover by the end of the year.

See less See more
G
#4 ·
Well, so far I've submitted the FSA money and already got email notification that it should be in the bank within 24-48 hours. I've pulled the paperwork to dispute the hospital overpayment, but haven't called yet.

Good idea on the eBay stuff - I have a few things I need to sell. I have them set aside but need to get them actually listed.

#8 ·
Used all my rewards points from this year and got 1 Old Navy $25 gift card, 2 $25 Walmart cards, and 1 $50 Lowes card. 4 very nice gifts for nothing.
Used my reward points and coupons at Kmart and got $22 off my $26 order. just $4 out of pocket .
Got my mileage check from attending an out of town conference from work. $43. Adding it to my gift envelope.

#9 ·
Cashed in some of my mypoints points for a $50 gas gift card.
Turned my RME account into a cash card it has $20.93 this was free money when RME started.
Local grocery store had a promotion on Black Friday. Buy a $75 Gift card get $15 off. Got 4 $75 visa gift cards after activation mad $9.05 a card. Nothing like free money.
Took recycling in this last weekend came home with $74.00 free money.

G
#11 ·
Just an update -

So far we have:
$261.21 from FSA
$5.73 from Half.com (net profit after fees and shipping costs)
$10.54 from eBay (net profit after fees and shipping)

Grand total so far:
$277.48

G
#13 ·
Well, I called the hospital today about the billing. Guess that they do wait until the end of the year, because apparently on 11/28 someone looked at our account, saw we had a credit, and requested that a check be sent. It's only for $400 because of some additional discounting we got, but that's still pretty good in my book. I will update my running total after I actually have and deposit the check.

G
#16 ·
Yesterday I had our end of year cash back bonus applied to our credit cards. Got $437.44.

I have 5 ebay auctions ending today. Only one has a bid so far, but it's going for $69.

Total so far:
$261.21 from FSA
$10.54 from eBay (net profit after fees and shipping)
$437.44 from credit card cash back

= $714.92 Grand Total

#17 ·
I used e-bates for the first time last month. I used it rather cautiously because I was afraid that it was a scam. However, in the mail yesterday came a check to cover my mom's birthday present and one of her Christmas presents. That was a very nice surprise and much needed too.

BTW, congratulations Telephus 44 on being with child. I know that you and your dh have been devoting this year to conceiving a child and I am so happy to hear that your wish came true. Big brother will be happy to have a sibling I am sure. Do you know if the baby is a girl or a boy?

A2M

G
#18 ·
Yes, our son is very happy that he's going to be a big brother. We've decided that we're not going to find out the gender, and keep it a surprise.

Thanks for the reminder about eBates. I've never used them, but I do use Mr. Rebates (same idea, different site). I'm going to check and see if I have enough in my account to cash out.

#19 ·
Cashed in my change. $20
Requested a check from magazine.com for $5
Returned 2 sweaters from Target and got $38.xx back on the card.
Bought 2 different ones for less than $6 each compared to $17. each for the ones I returned.

G
#20 ·
Two more items sold on eBay - another $120.28 after shipping and fees.

So far:
$261.21 from FSA
$130.82 from eBay (net profit after fees and shipping costs)

= $835.20 Grand Total

G
#21 ·
Got another $55 from my FSA. Also a $500 Christmas bonus from work and a $25 rebate check I had forgotten about. Signed up for a Serve account (like Paypal sort of? It's an Amex thing) and now have a card with $20 on it. I'm adding these below to my running total

These are the items I'm working on but not counting yet since they aren't received:

I also followed up on a monitor rebate I sent in for in October (the rebate check reminded me) and it was received and approved. Still waiting for the $400 check from the hospital. Also signed up for the "$20 prepaid MC when you spent $200 online with your MC" challenge and qualified.

So far:
$316.21 from FSA
$130.82 from eBay (net profit after fees and shipping costs)
$25.00 in rebates
$500 in bonus
$20 from Serve

= $1435.20 Grand Total

#23 ·
Ive never tracked found money, and I am going to start next month. I am starting the New Year by pet sitting for a customer which will bring in a little extra cash, I can also work more when I want which is a good thing.

Ebay is a definite for next year, I have got to declutter and some of the stuff is new, or like new. I use to make between $500-1000 per month from ebay and not sure why I stopped. I also want to put up a Etsy site for the knitted things like pan handle sweaters and swiffer covers that I make in my spare time.

Is there a thread where members post their ebay listings? Just thinking that some may list things that others would be interested in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.