Frugal Village Forums banner

2012 No Spend Challenge

48K views 1K replies 65 participants last post by  QM 
#1 ·
How did you do last year? Did you make your goals each month? Some months were bad and some were good for me but 2012 is the year I deem NO SPEND! :laugh:

For January my goal will be 23 no spend days. I am allowing myself to spend money only twice a week.

How many days do you plan on not spending any money?

#2 ·
Very bad year for me last year! I turned into a complete spend thrift. This is the year I get back on track pay down debt....after Feb, the only debt I should have is a student loan...and save for a down payment on a house. I am shooting for 5 no spend days a week..leaving the weekends, days to spend on necessities. I know it won't be easy but I am going to try like heck to be good! :)

#3 ·
Okay, so my take on this is gonna be just a tad different. I do our grocery shopping ect, usually on Fridays. We each have $20 a week for lunch, or what ever. I usually take both lunch and breakfast, as well as snacks that I want to work with me. So with limited exceptions, I am allowing 1 day a week as a spend day. with the goal of trying to plan well enough that I spend no more than 1/2 of my weekly "lunch" money. If so that is $260 dollars for the year that I can put somewhere else :whistle: even if it and I go to Hobby Lobby, :p

So I guess my accountability on this thread will be how much of the "lunch" money I can keep :)

#4 ·
Here is my plan...

three days a week i can spend but this will include grocery shopping, thrift store runs and a weekend day with the family....so i guess my total would be 209 no spend days...this will be very hard for me as we have dollar tree directly in the plaza i work at so at lunch time i usualy run down grab a bite to eat and see if there is anything there....but in the long run it will be good for me because i will only alot 1 day a week for that....but just think of what i will save....

#5 ·
I am in... I have to get my spending under control this year. I am one of those...Oh we need this, I'll just run to the store real quick types. Not in 2012!!! I told my hubby today that I am not going to the store for anything today and he replied to me, we ran out of cat food this morning... my response... the cat likes chicken, we have some left over chicken in the fridge give that to him..... the cat is currently eating a meatball left over from last night LOL!

I am not going to set a goal for this month, just want to track it and see how I do, then set a realistic goal for Feb.

Reactions: Jo Roma
#9 ·
I'm in.......started last year but wasn't consistent. As of now I'll aim for 5 days a week of no spending. I'll see how it goes then adjust as needed. BTW....thanks for starting the new thread!

#10 ·
I'm in. Here's my plan and the way I figured it...

365 days
-52 (once a week groceries)
-12 (once a month "life happens" spend day)
-15 (birthdays and holidays)
286 No Spend Days

This does not include DH's lunch spending. With his job and his schedule there is no way I can control his lunch habits. Even though he does brown bag it almost every single day sometimes things come up and he grabs something on the go. Other than that, he's not much of a spender and I've included some oddball spending days for him in the above calculations.

#12 ·
When I joined FV oh so many years ago, this was one of the first things that I started doing and made a huge difference for me. Just realizing what you are spending money on each day. Trying to not have unplanned and unnecessary spending. I'm going to shoot for 20 days and try to improve from there!

#14 ·
Back in again and staying at 10 no spend. It's seems to be the only amount I have a shot at making.

#20 ·
I am in for this! I am going to try for 15 No spend days this month!!

#23 ·
Yesterday was a no spend day, today is going to be a spend day, I have to get cat and dog food and some meat to go with the stuff I have in the pantry for meals this week.

#24 ·
Monday and Friday are definite spend days, so I am going to do my best to keep all my spending on those two days! Monday, my avian vet is making a house call to trim my African Grey's beak and to check on my little old cockatiel, who is suffering from arthritis. Friday, Riley, my old lab-pit mix, goes in to have a fatty tumour removed and also to have two other lumps biopsied.

#25 ·
I'm in again this year also!

No spend day today. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.