Frugal Village Forums banner

2012 Sell Stuff Challenge

9K views 192 replies 24 participants last post by  nuisance26 
#1 ·
~I have boxes of stuff "flung" in last year's challenge that haven't left the house yet due to me not listing them. Since we're moving across country mid-year, I will have lots more stuff to unload before we go. And we could really use the money too. ;)
My goal is to list at least 5 items a week. I will be using two swap sites, Half.com, Ebay and maybe CL. I'm scared of CL. :crackup:
What I'd really like to do is have a blog type site or photo album with descriptions where I can list everything. That way it will be easy to copy links to various places instead of typing everything out and uploading pics repeatedly.
Anyone have such a "store"? Anyone wanna join me?~

#2 ·
I'll definitely join you. I have a whole closet full of clothes I need to list on ebay. I'm going to start this coming weekend. I am with you, going to try to list 5 items a week, if I do more great. This summer my mom and I will be having a garage sale at my house, so I will start gathering stuff for that as well. I've sold 1 thing on CL, but my mom has asked me not to do it, so anything I would do there, I will wait for my garage sale to sell.

#11 ·
I definitely need to sell instead of just giving things away. Have not yet made myself comfortable selling online, but what alternatives are there really? And how do I give myself a kick in the behind to just do it?

Reactions: nuisance26
#12 ·
I don't know if this will work for you, but I also don't like the idea of places like Ebay. I don't want to figure out shipping, etc. I have been joining the facebook yard sale sites (search for your county/city and yard sale??). I have sold about $150 in 2 months doing that. I mostly do larger items (not pieces of clothing, but maybe 15 size 4T items). I enjoy it. It works much like Craig's List. You list, they contact you, you meet at a public place and exchange product for cash.

#13 ·
~I'm a member of two local FB "swaps". I haven't bought or sold anything on them yet but being able to see "actual" people as potential customers makes me feel safer. ;)
I do Half and Ebay for books, dvd's and video games. They are so fast and easy to list by typing in the UPC on the back! They sell fast and are cheap to ship too.
I sold most of those last year so this year is the harder, bigger stuff like a carseat and electronics. I'm just so uncomfortable selling things, like I have a responsibility to make sure the product never breaks for them after they buy it. I usually decide to just give things away than deal with the pressure of disappointing someone. I know that's completely absurd so I'm trying to work through it. ~

#15 ·
I sold most of those last year so this year is the harder, bigger stuff like a carseat and electronics. I'm just so uncomfortable selling things, like I have a responsibility to make sure the product never breaks for them after they buy it. I usually decide to just give things away than deal with the pressure of disappointing someone. I know that's completely absurd so I'm trying to work through it. ~
Just price low enough that if it does break some time in the future they feel like they got a good enough deal to "get them through" almost like buying a clunker car so you don't have car payments.

I price stuff as reasonable as I can, list it for a while, lower the price, and then if nothing, give it away.

#17 ·
Great idea! I would like to join you.

When I first started My Money Makeover in 2008, I learned how to sell items on eBay & Craigs list and made quite a bit of extra money for the debt snowball. I keep telling myself to get back into it, but it became a chore I didn't want to deal with anymore. I think this challenge will inspire me to get going again.

Today I'll start sorting & gathering items to list next week on my days off. I'll set my goal at 5 items per week also.

Thanks!

Eskielover

#18 ·
I'm up for a challenge.

Goal is 10 ebay auctions a week.
2 per day times 5 days. Minimum.

My concern in the winter is getting to the post office.
I can do it from home if I do 2 a day.
I bought a super big mailbox this past summer
and it is just waiting for me to fill it :)

I'm leading off with boxes of romance books.
My ebay id is real easy to find ;)

So today I have the pics took, and just have to write
the description and get them up this afternoon.

#19 ·
This is a challenge I really need to get rid of things that might be worth something. Maybe with this challenge I can get some things listed to sell on Ebay. My goal for January is to get 3 to 5 listings a week ready. I'm a little leary of Craigslist also, but I think I might try selling larger items there. Thanks for the challenge!

#28 ·
It isn't actually selling, but it is using the internet to make cash. I went to look at all those sites that you can "make money with points" and I have $55.25 coming to me in pay pal soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.