Frugal Village Forums banner

Let's Put Our Ideas Here with Finding Ways to Make More Money :)

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  bee9984 
#1 ·
I am a hairdresser living in a small town. I moved back here (home) 2 1/2 years ago and have slowly been building up my clientele. Today I will be splurging and buying a pay as you go cell phone and business cards and go like crazy putting these business cards out. I also work at an Esso garage, pumping gas, working in their convenience store etc...I am part time but told my boss that any extra hours I can get I would appreciate even though they are cutting back hours for everyone there right now. I usually work evenings so it works out great as I can work in the salon during the day. I also go to peoples homes to do their hair so with advertising more should pick my up some more clients which are mostly seniors who like having someone come to them to do their hair. I also work at the dollar store here in town when they are extra busy (Like over the Christmas Holidays). I am going to go and talk to my boss there and see if there is anyway she can give me one shift a week at least.

Another idea in which I have to make a little extra money is to crochet dish cloths and go to the farmers market. I am not very talented but I can at least make those. I am hoping to pick up some more ideas on FV :) .

I gave notice for my apartment yesterday (finally) for the end of Feb. I will be renting a room from one of my best friends that I grew up with. That will help with my savings as well. I will save an additional $200 on rent not to mention no more hydro bill/phone bill etc....

That is all that I can think of right now, anyone else have ideas on how to find a way to make more money?

See less See more
#2 ·
Can you bake? If so you could sell brownies or something at the farmer's market since you are going there already with the dish cloths.

Are there other services you are comfortable with besides hair cutting? My thought was you could offer manicures and pedicures if you are experienced in that as well. Then offer packaged deals.

I sell stuff (my own personal belongings) on Craig's list. I complain about it more than I sell on it but every now and then I get a sale which then spurs me to keep trying.

Are you any good with computers? Older people usually need help with their computers and pay nicely for the simplest things. If you are already doing house calls for hair appointments and are good with computers could offer that too.

Reactions: bee9984
#3 ·
Maybe you have already done this as a stylist but I wanted to throw it out there just in case. When I was first beginning in a new area I gave all my clients TONS of my cards and wrote their name in the back corner. I told my clients for every 3 referrals (new client gave me the card from the original client and I saved them) from them that came in they would get a free cut . MY clients really built my business for me fast in an awesome way! They were happy for the free cut for every 3 new clients they brought me so it was a win win!

#4 ·
If I were you, I'd forget about selling dishcloths at the Farmers' Market. They are always oversupplied, try to sell them for a couple of dollars or so, and almost nobody is buying; and you will end up being paid pennies for the amount of time and money you invest in making one dishcloth. Go for the baking instead; there's money to be made there.

Manicures & pedicures are good ideas. Get some training in 'footcare for Seniors, or the disabled'. With a small investment for the equipment, you can get a good steady clientele going that pays well.

#5 ·
Is there a nursing home/rehab center where you can advertize? Some places have set ups already and are looking for experienced people to fill the need.

#6 ·
Definitely Farmers Market & look for other small shows in your area (schools, churches, community events) often have 'craft shows or mini flea markets'. You might not be very 'crafty' but check the food laws in your state (usually your local Farmers Market can tell you what you can & cannot sell)...we here can sell just about anything made or baked except for salsa & eggs (that's the rules, don't make 'em or quite understand 'em)... I sell an old secret family recipe for a cake made with fruit cocktail & they buy it up. This year I am including donuts & a few other 'fun' things. This is in addition to all the spices/teas/ cat-dog products/wildlife food/bath-beauty products & jewelry (hey, I cater to EVERYBODY- lol)...

How about baby sitting. There are lots of folks that would like to have a night or weekend free and this could be the area you concentrate on.

~There is pet sitting/ house sitting
~Home or business cleaning
~Check with your local grocery store to see if they need any help on their stock days/nights (we have retired folks that come in at our store only to help stock the shelves)
~check your local Craig's List for odd jobs (food samplers, errand runners)

Good luck and I am looking forward to reading this thread as I am always looking for ways to earn a few $$$'s too...

#7 ·
have any old broken gold you can sell ?

can you sell anything you wont need at new place

cleaning ?? there is a huge need for light housework for seniors around me -

hair nail parties for kids ?

#9 ·
I'd try the senior communities and senior centers both to advertise and see if I could get an exclusive with their clients. Hair cuts/styling in a nursing home would be a huge boost! If you live near a college I know my sister had a very hard time finding a bakery that would deliver a birthday cake for her son. Even if you didn't make it yourself it might be a good money maker, even if only occassionally.

#10 ·
Farmer's markets you need to check out before you try to set up at them. And you need to know what the rules are at the state level for what you want to sell.
Here if you want to do baked goods, your kitchen needs to inspected by the board of health. Also your water has to be tested. This also applies to selling jams/jellies in those cute little jars.
One market I did last year wanted more venders. But at the same time, they were also not allowing duplicates of some things. They did end up with 3 bakers out of about 20-25 venders. But each one of them seemed to have their own niche. The one did a lot of little snackie type things. One did a lot of different breads and cookies. The Amish lady had breads, pies, jams and some veggies. The market manager did tell me he already had one lady selling maple syrup, so he would not allow another vender to do that.
Eggs were not a problem even though there was 3 of us selling them. We could not keep up with the demand. They have to be kept in coolers and maintain a low temperature. We also had people selling frozen meat. Which has to be in a mini freezer that is plugged into a outlet. The meat had to be processed at a slaughter house that is USDA inspected.

The other farmer market that I was finally able to get into, only has 8 venders. 4 of them take a double spot. This market only has so much sidewalk space allowed them by the city to use for the market. I was very fortunate to get a spot halfway through the last season. I have a spot now for this next season.
I am still trying to come up with a few more things that I can sell. Both of these markets, you need to be the farmer or the original craftsperson. Like if I have mittens on my table, and somebody wants a different color / custom order, I better be able to produce them in a timely manner :)

So if you are thinking about doing a farmer's market, do the research first. And talk to the local market manager as one of the first things that you do.

#11 ·
I've been thinking about selling at the farmers markets too. Thanks for all the ideas and advice.

Right now for extra money dh does janitorial work at our church and kids school. I babysit, have 4 flyer routes and bake and decorate cakes.

#12 ·
Actually, I am an awesome baker lol....I have had people in the past tell me that I should open up a bakery... there is no bakery here in town, we have only the farmers markets or grocery stores which I find the grocery stores just can't match real homemade :)

Awesome Ideas everyone.....keep them coming as this is helping us all :D

#13 ·
Being an on-call server for a catering company is a relativelwell-paying part-time job, with limited obligation (just take the gigs you want).

I have done that for a local place for the past year and averaged 2 gigs a month. I could have worked more, but I have a full time day job so had to turn down the weekday events.

I'm paid $15/hour plus (usually) really great tips. Like, $80-100 per 6-8 hour event, sometimes even more.

It's physically hard labor, but it happens to be something I enjoy (except when my feet start hurting!) and the time goes fast because we are constantly busy.

When I wanted to get started, I called around to a couple of local places and asked if they were hiring. I worked jobs for 2 different places starting in December 2010, then went on to work steadily for them ever since.

Kara

#14 ·
Are you crafty at all? Make hair accessories. . . scrunchies, hair sticks, headbands, crocheted kerchiefs (if you can make dishcloths, I bet you can do these), etc.

Is there a plasma donation place nearby? They pay by weight, but you can make around $200/month if you qualify.

I cleaned offices on weekends for $$$, and I put small trash cans with signs for aluminum cans in the office break rooms. I collected the cans to sell as well.

#15 ·
What about tacking up an index card or flyer on the grocery store bulletin board offering:

* dog walking (if you like dogs)

* going into someone's home and offering to let their pets out/feed them at lunch/dinner time

* senior (personal) shopping services? You can either do their shopping for them and drop it off or if you're able and willing to, shuttle them to the store and help them do their shopping. Imagine if you had 4 clients - you could do all their shopping in one trip!

I've seen this being done at my grocery store - the woman will put 4 baskets into a shopping cart and literally go up and down the aisles filling each basket accordingly. She pays separately as well with monies given to them in advance Im assuming.

* lastly, offer cleaning service

Of course - being in a city, I'm paranoid and I'd want references from people I know (not the ones you provided, sorry) AND/OR a copy of a recent police background check to confirm you're 'OK' (or bonded but that costs extra $ on your part to get certified)

#16 ·
There is a little business here that does quite well. I can't remember the name of it, but they come in and clean your bird cage for you. You can set up a regular visit or just call as needed. For those of us with birds, you will understand the temptation to have someone else do it for you! :)

Same idea would apply to fish and to coming in to do poop patrol for people who have dogs and backyard. :)

#17 ·
I'd also be looking into more ways to reduce expenses. I stopped at Dunkin Donuts today, and they had a sign up saying for each blood donation you'd get a free pound of coffee. Certainly wouldn't be enticement enough on it's own, but if you were going to go anyway it might affect the timing of your visit.

#18 ·
On top of selling online, working PT at an independent motorcycle shop, and pet sitting and I will now be selling slow moving stock for the motorcycle shop online. All they want is what they paid for the stuff. So I will do my research and mark the stuff up enough to cover listing fees, selling fees, PayPal fees and a profit for myself.

#19 ·
Well I picked up an extra client for haircutting. One of my clients last night tracked me down at the Esso garage where I work and made an appointment for today at 1pm...her boyfriend was with her so I asked him if he would also like a haircut and he did so YAY! Go Me!

Also I went to a clients house to cut his hair yesterday and I asked him and his wife if they knew of anyone and his wife said her mother would probably be interested. My client is going to talk to his parents too to see if they want me to go to their house to do their hair. I met his dad and he did say that he was interested but we just hadn't made any timings.

I'm working it, I would do hair all day long everyday if I had the clients, I love being a hairdresser :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.