Frugal Village Forums banner

Spending freeze!

2K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  frugalwarrior2 
#1 ·
I am starting a spending freeze tomorrow. Monday 7/23/12.

who wants to join me?
My rules are this.
  • only spend on necessities. (rent, power, gas, etc)
  • can have a list of acceptable items but must be agreed upon and not added to.

new fiance and I will go over what is on the acceptable list tonight.

The Goal-
pay off debt 1 $42, debt 2 $2xx and debt 3 $580
pay off DP $996

Time frame: 6 weeks!!

I will post our acceptable list when we finalize it.

Anyone want to join me?

#2 ·
I would like to do this however i want to put my goal at 2 weeks as i am not sure i can make 6 weeks because of back to school....I will see how i do within those two weeks and go from there.....so anything that is a necessity such as house payment gas to get back and forth to work with etc....is acceptable....I believe the unacceptable are things you can live without.....

Reactions: NikoSan999
#3 ·
Hey sign me up... I would love to join you in this!!
Due to a work injury I need to really conserve cash so this comes at a GREAT time. I NEED SOME ACCOUNTABILITY!!!
I think for me the unacceptable list needs to be any/every thing I can do without.

#6 ·
Day one I have decided that only the very neccessary things will be paid(food, utilities, rent, gas etc)...no books, no clothes, no shoes, no eating out...

#9 ·
Well Day one is over...and you know the first day is ALWAYS the hardest....but I perservered and did not spend a dime....it was tough cause AMAZON.com kept calling my name...but I said No no no no no!!! :fight: I can tell it is going to be a fight with them!!! LOL

#10 ·
today i sold an item and made $30 however i spent $2.79 for lunch...which i could have done without....blah! So i can either figure i made $27 extra or hold myself accountable and make my lunch tomorrow night....ugh!

#11 ·
I missed day 1, but I'll jump on board.

My list of acceptable .... if I'm going to go for the entire 6 weeks, will have to be new shoes for kids & school supplies - maybe khakis, depending on if last years pants still fit.

Otherwise, I'm good. :toothy:

#12 ·
Day Two...I have to run a couple errands so I have to be viligent!!! I tell you it is soooo easy to slip up..I mean you go to get gas and there are those $2.00 yummy hot on the grill hot dogs looking up at you and the wall with a zillion different type of COLD drinks...I will resist!!!

#14 ·
Day 1 was not great but, didn't to terrible either. Worked late Sunday night and had to be back early monday morning so no time for food prep. But I made it and made extra chicken last night for today. Will menu plan for the rest of the week at lunch.

Went over our acceptable list
gas to go to slc (friend I haven't seen in 6 years is visiting there)
1 meal out the first week. (DF insisted)
shipping package to jen costs (having a baby in a few days)
school supplies (being conservative)

#15 ·
Ok, so joining you all a little bit late on this one. But I have not spent any money in the past 3 days. Not one cent. I have put myself on a spending freeze because last month was a bad month for me. My month's run from the 15th to the 14th. So June 15th to July 14th, was not good. So when I got paid on July 15th, I loaded up on everything I needed right away (food, gas, toiletries and misc (haircut)). So right now I am trying not to spend anything for the next 2 weeks.

The only thing I am putting on my list as ok are the following:

food
milk (I have 4 year old twins)
gas (I am transporting my niece daily for her swim team since her mom works, so I need to have gas in my car - but my SIL is paying me for this)
medicine (my kids and I are currently sick, if any of us needs meds I will buy)

Other than these things I am going to try not to spend any money. In 2 weeks I leave to go stay with my DH for a week (he is in the military and stationed 4 hours from us), so I need extra money for gas to get there and back and I want to drive to see my Mom one day, she lives 3 hours south from my DH. So lots of driving and I need to come up with the gas money out of our budget. Also will need some money for food while on the road and visiting my Mom. The last 3 days have been hard, I am starting to see clearance sales for summer clothes and I want to buy, but I keep telling myself I don't really need them and to wait until next month and see how I do this month with saving.

Good luck to the rest of you in this challenge.

#17 ·
Today was an okay day haha.....i went to the thrift store and spent $2.63 had other errands so no extra gas money spent..... however i hope to sell the items i purchased today for a total of $8 so i really dont know how to figure that out.....i did purchase some cucumbers for $2 and some summer squash for $1 and some potatoes for $2......i really didnt need the cukes summer squash or potatoes...so i guess i wasted $5 today....

#21 ·
Day Two went well except...I ended up going to the grocery store for cranberry sauce + a couple other items...I went with a list...I ended up getting the items on the list also an additional $5 of items....I will do better today :)

#22 ·
Going to be another no spend day for me today. The girls and I are all sick and no plans on going anywhere but picking up my niece from camp this afternoon and keeping her until her Dad picks her up this evening. So tired of being under the weather (this is my second illness this month), but I don't spend money when all I want to do is lay down and die. Good new is DH gets home tomorrow night, so he should be able to keep the kids out of my hair on Friday and Saturday, they are going to start to feel better before I do, since I am about 3 days behind them on this cold. If I keep this up, I should be able to throw and extra $100 towards the CC balance at the end of the month.

How are others doing?

#24 ·
Still under the weather, so that means another no spend day for me. That is the only good part about being sick, we tend to stay close to home for a few days. We shall see how next week goes.

#25 ·
I am not able to join but want to tell you all good job and keep it up. I will be doing a no spend month in September and just did one in June. We try everyday to not go overboard so my new simple life change is helping us out so much. Keep posting everyone!

#26 ·
Wow, made it through the whole weekend and only spent $5 buying milk for the next week. Even with DH home this weekend (he is only home 2 weekends a month) we didn't spend any unneccessary money. We stayed home, put puzzles together with the girls and use the pool all weekend. We also did a lot of yard work/weeding to catch up after the flooding from Tropical Storm Debby. All was good, but I will say there were times I was sooo bored. But we are sticking to the spending freeze.

Also I was able to deposit $100 a made from taking care of my neice last week and it will be going onto the CC.

How was everyone's weekend?

Reactions: kitkat0649
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.