Frugal Village Forums banner

Holiday Meats

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  rosey7415 
#1 ·
The cheapest turkey's that I have found advertised so far are .47 cents a lb. Do you think that is the best that I can expect? Should I wait a little longer?

Hams have been running $1.99 lb. Waiting on those because I do not need them until December.

What prices are you seeing on holiday meats where you live?

A2M

#2 ·
I'm sure it makes a difference where you live. If I saw turkey for .47 I'd be all over it. The cheapest I've seen here so far has been .99, and I almost bought it. I have two or three in the freezer though, so I didn't.

#3 ·
Never seen turkey for that price the entire time I've lived here. It's always over $1.

Right now Aldi is advertising 1.19 lb for a whole Butterball, and 7.99 for a 48oz breast. Save A Lot has turkey at 1.39 lb. The larger grocery stores haven't started their holiday sales.

Ham at Save a Lot is 99c for the bone-in shank. Seems like a decent price. I was looking last week and they are over $1.50 everywhere still.

#4 ·
After the $10 off hens, $17 off toms at Kroger I was able to score a turkey for .49lb. Generally I don't do the whole turkey here. For the last several years I have just cooked up two large turkey breasts since mostly everybody eats just the white meat and I've been able to get them at .79 to .99 a lb. This year though no such luck. I couldn't find anything cheaper than 1.49 lb.

Hams have been all over the place in price. I'm REALLY picky about my ham though so unless it's one of the couple of brands I'll buy I don't even pay attention. Luckily I'm not an expensive spiral type picky. Cook's smoked ham is my favorite to bake up and generally they run on sale about .69 to .79 a pound around the holidays. I think (scratches head) the cheapest I've seen so far was $1.39 lb.

#5 ·
kroger lowered their turkeys to .49 lb, limit 2. I'm going to stock up at that price, I don't think its going any lower.

Target ad here had turkey breast on sale for .99 if that helps someone.

Ham seems to be 1.99 lb everwhere. I wonder if it will be cheaper at Christmas time?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.