Frugal Village Forums banner

Fix It Challenge 2012

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Rona 
#1 ·
Ok I'm going to list all the items I have to repair, how much it's going to cost and I'm going to post when I save towards fixing and when I have fixed something - Basically I need to cheer myself on in this area ;) If anyone wants to join me I'd be delighted with the company. And yes I'm aware that I will probably be adding new items to this too (that's life :p )

So Here goes:
Oven - €0/€80
Car - €0/€140
Dryer?
Solar Panels?

It was the Sods Law thread that got me thinking on this one :)

G
#2 ·
I'll join you! I hate having so many expensive repairs. In fact, I'm typing this while at the mechanics because I just had a flat tire.

*washing machine that leaks
*brakes for my car
*snowblower that doesn't start

#3 ·
Oh, boy! I'm in! We have lots of things that need repair. A lot of them aren't very expensive or wouldn't even take very long, but we just don't get around to doing them.

We need to get our snowblower fixed, too. For me, this will consist of nagging, most likely. I have enough other stuff to do that I'm not going to do that, too. Of course, I've been nagging off and on for at least three years now and the snowblower is still broken. But then again, I don't shovel so if it doesn't get fixed, it's not really my problem.

I'll start small:

~replace cut wires in kitchen light fixture.
~replace ceiling light in front hallway.
~if I can find it, replace broken latch on patio door.

Too bad this didn't start sooner. I could have gotten credit for the broken door latch I replaced on Saturday!

#5 ·
Okay, battery is replaced in cat's shock collar so the dog door is open again so the dog can stop howling about not being able to go out. Yea!

My husband bought the new part for the air compressor ($45! :thud:) so that's being fixed right now. I can play with air tools again!

#8 ·
Perfect thread for me:

1. replace front wheel liner on car - estimated cost to do it myself about $25-$30. Found a video online that should help, but it's not specific to my car.

2. replace front bumper cover on car - I found a great video specific for my car and was able to finish this myself last weekend. Total cost $215 (had the bumper cover professionally painted). Estimated savings about $200.

3. repair wood siding on house where a hole was cut for some kind of pipe, then not used - purchased a hole cutter attachment for my drill for about $8, have the wood and glue already.

4. replace filter in dishwasher - bought special star bits- need to try to find exact instructions online.

Lots more to do...

#9 ·
Finally, an electrical job that went right the first time! I got the new ceiling light installed in our front hall, so now all the bulbs work and the fixture matches the rest of the hardware in that area.

I also found the new patio door latch and discovered it's the wrong type, so I have to buy a different one.

Still have to do the kitchen light wiring.

#10 ·
Replaceing electric plugs in Living room and kitchen..2 down and 14 more to go...Then will have to paint again where I cut out for the new fixtures...should have done it the other way around but I always was backward..lol..Trim paint bedroom and paint other bedroom...Wash down all ceilings..Wash down all the walls in the dinningroom..Guess will wait for spring to do windows..Got 2 find air leak in the basement...need to make curtians for spare bedroom and hem the ones in our bedroom...once the main floor is done will start on the basement..

#11 ·
I have done quite a bit of repair lately:

Replaced two toilet seats
Replaced back storm door (dh did the work)
Fixed garage door
Trimmed lg tree in back yard
Board replaced on porch
Polyied MBR window sill

Still need to do:
Replace fridge
Brace fence post
Plastic on windows

Reactions: Jo Roma
#12 ·
Ok so DH sourced the part we needed for the dryer - It was €95, buuut I found a condenser dryer for wait for it €100 :clap: so we bought the dryer & DH is using the old one (perfect motor & drum) to either make a plucker or something for cider making next year :D
BTW the reason the lady was selling her practically new dryer was she had bought a black washing machine, microwave and her silver dryer didn't match???? Guess even in the recession there are some people with plenty of money and very little sense ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.