Frugal Village Forums banner

2013 Grocery Budget Challenge...

25K views 396 replies 64 participants last post by  Sophiasmama 
#1 ·
I'm looking forward to seeing your grocery budgets.

#7 ·
Iv been seriously thinking about this for a few weeks now.. Im pretty much stocked for the most part..Although I want to add more canned food & baking ingredients to build up my long term food storage..

Im thinking anywhere from $500 to $700 for a family of 6..that amount will fluctuate from month to month..my middle son might be joining the Marines this coming July or August..

#8 ·
Right now my budget for 1 adult and
a cat is $300 per month/$150.00 per check.

I am planning to do some serious weight
loss with calorie controlled servings

This includes H&B, pet food and litter, and paper.
It doesn't include eating out or meds,
as they are budgeted separately.

My goal is to get it down to $200 per month if I can.

#9 ·
Well.. my daughter pays for groceries as her R+B. She's 24 with the 10 month old and that's all she pays while here.

So, my budget is $50/month because there are some things I pick up here and there, but essentially, she takes care of it.

I need to talk to her on how to stretch her food budget.

I have a feeling she will be leaving the home this year though and I will add to the budget when that happens.

#11 ·
I am at about 450.00 a month for a family of four with 3 cats and 1 dog. That budget includes food, H&B, all pet food and litter, all cleaning supplies. It does not include eating out but we only eat about 2 times a month. I would like to get it down to 400.00 but I really struggle to keep it at 450.00 some months depending on what I can get on sale. Meat is is dang expensive now and they all really expect some sort of meat with every meal.

#13 ·
Right now it's 800 for a family of 4 and a cat. I buy everything with this, including diapers. I'm going to try to get a good stockpile the first of the year, and maybe be able to cut the amount in June.

Last year we did 5 months on 480 for a family if 3 but no diapers. We have relaxed a bit since then.

#14 ·
We spend $500 for the 7 of us :) That includes all H&B and disposable diapers at night (cloth during the day). Baby #6 is due in 2-4 weeks and I will not be upping our grocery budget at all with her arrival....so for 2013 it will be $500 a month for 8 people.

#15 ·
Without my dh on board this is a difficult challenge. We spend around $100.00 (2 adults, dog and 4 fish) per week which includes everything. I'm working on coupons to build a stockpile. My biggest challenge will be keeping a well stocked pantry to avoid my dh going to the store during the week. We rarely eat out, if we do it's with a coupon and sharing the meal. So it's in my hands to plan, plan, plan.

#16 ·
I am going with $300.for food( eating out not included) medicine, H&B & stockpiling.Have a good stockpile of can fruit and vegetables & freezer about 1/2 full meat & vegetables so i might be able to keep it below $300. some months. For 1

#17 ·
My monthly goal is $635, this is for a family of 5. Store bought food only, no HBA etc.

#18 ·
I am going to start with a goal of $800 per month for a family of 6. This includes all food, paper products, HBA, diapers, etc. My hope is to be able to reduce this as the year goes on, but for January, which is 5 weeks long, I'm going for $800. Originally, I was thinking $200 a week, which would be $1,000 for January, but I really want to challenge myself in this. I have no coupons for this week, so I'm starting out just working the sales. I do have an Acme gift card for $100 which will be helpful for January. My first shop will be big, as I haven't gone grocery shopping since December 16th and we've been eating through our pantry and freezer.

#19 ·
We are a family of 4 with 3 dogs and a cat.. DS#2 buys the cat food because it is his cat, so I don't include that in my challenge amount. Some weeks are better than others, but I am going to challenge myself to spend $550 a month or less for all our groceries, HBA, paper products, and dog food.

#20 ·
Last year, I figured that I spent $19.99 per day on groceries for six people, including all HBA, diapers, pet foods, cleaning, paper products, etc. I am looking to reduce this somewhat, but will have to see how far I can go. IfI can get it to $17.00 a day ($120 a week) all inclusive, I'll be pretty happy. :bunny:

#23 ·
Our local daily newspaper has a feature, today, about a Christian support group trying to help families budget: and the suggestion made is that people should budget for £30 a week for food for an adult and £20 a week for food for a child.

On the current exchange rate, pounds sterling to dollars, £30 becomes $48.70 and £20 becomes $32.49. Per person, per week.

Would this work, in reality, in the USA?

Notice that it's only food: nothing in this suggested budget about household items like cleaning products.

Out of general interest, next time I shop for food, I am going to consider if I can eat for a week on £30. I would think I could eat very well, on that (at UK prices)(but I'm a cheapskate, really).

#25 ·
DH just returned from the grocery store, went for one item, $50.00 later :(. This is partly my fault, a better pantry and I would have had that karo syrup on hand. I will get this done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.