Frugal Village Forums banner

The Truly, Necessary Spending Challenge ~ What did you spend your money on today ~

276K views 5K replies 85 participants last post by  Livin Large 
#1 ·
One of my goals for 2013 is to try not to buy anything more than what is truly necessary for this family.

Everything that I buy needs to have an immediate or real and true purpose in our day to day living.

In this thread I will post what I buy each day (new or used) - anything that causes money to leave my pocket. And then try to justify my purchases. (I think food is a no-brainer for sustaining life) - however, that t-shirt that I just bought, to keep the other 24 company is saying something different, which I will try to figure out my reasoning behind.

I challenge the rest of you to join me in this thread. Let's get our consuming under control. Let's build up our bank accounts, while pairing down the useless cluttering that tends to collect around our feet.

I hope you all will join me...

#2 ·
I been trying to do this for awhile now, but not tracking it.
i call it selectively buying. One thing that helps a lot, is the less I go into stores. In the winter, this is easier. In the good weather, lots more temptation.

Well we are looking at some changes in this household if the hubby goes through with his retirement plan. This would happen in about 14 months. So the lightbulb moment happened today, and I decided that the budget for the this new year coming will be based on what we will have coming in for retirement money.
We are going to practice. Maybe it will help change his mind about retiring early. Probably not though. He is stubborn. Any extra money will be used toward the home equity loan to get that paid down quicker. And we will have to use some of his OT money from this winter for buying some wood for the outside furnace, our source of heat.

Only thing been buying lately is a few groceries, gas, and the food for the dogs and chickens. I spotted a few deals for this coming week, so it will be stockpiling some coffee and canned vegtables. I did buy a cookbook on ebay this past week, but it was under $ 5 and that included shipping.

#3 ·
We did buy something besides needed clothing, hba, household consumable, home repair stuff, and food since Christmas.

Total splurge. The big bang theory game. We had a friend lend us her game and we loved it. So we bought one so we can return hers. So much laughter and family fun time. It was so worth the $$.

We have always been mindful of our spending even more so after trying the compact out.

I will be following this thread with great interest.

#4 ·
We decided Jan was going to be a sort of financial fast for us. If it isn't totally necessary or a regular monthly bill/expense it isn't getting purchased. We have a few monthly bills that could be scrapped in worst case scenario but they won't be for our January fast. These are the phone/internet/basic cable bundle and our sons school fees.

#5 ·
I like this thread... and have a dilemma already.
Here it is...
During my spendy days - I purchased a season ticket to a local mountain to ski. It seemed like a good deal at the time.

I can ski, I think, but lost my confidence after a tumble last season, which caused considerable damage to my calf muscle and put me out for the rest of the season. I went to the slopes this morning and had a total panic and couldn't get on the lift for fear of falling. (which isn't good to ski with a fear of falling- it's tightens everything up - you need to be loose)

So... I can ski - but I feel like a lesson or two would help with my confidence $40 each. I don't particularly have this extra cash laying around - but I am afraid that I won't get use of my season pass at the mountain if I don't get myself on the lift.

Therefore - is taking a couple of lessons worth it? I think so..
Or, should I just suck it up and do it on my own since I know how to ski (albeit horribly)

Cheers!

#8 ·
Okay then.. one lesson to start... $40 (considered necessary for my own safety) ;) I like how I can justify that.

But I really think it will help me overcome my fear of a new, unknown territory. I'm used to skiing Sunday River in Maine ( humungous mountian. ) and I know that mountain well. Here, it's all new.

Cheers! and thanks for a quick response. Appreciated.
Don't want to hijack the thread.

Carry on!

#10 ·
You can hijack anytime on my threads. I think everything said has some value to it! (Sometimes the hijacks are more interesting than the original posts anyway - haha)....

#11 ·
How old is your DD?

Maybe you could include her here in the thread.

Let her help do the posting when you do buy things - and tell her that you want the daily post to say "We didn't buy anything today" - give her a magic # (like if we can post 20 days out of 30 that we didn't buy anything - or whatever # works for you) that at the end of the month there is going to be a special reward for the 2 of you.

Show her the smilies and let her pick a different one every time she posts (kids love smilies)....

Just a thought anyway ~

#14 ·
My dd is 31, mentally challenged, (she was oxygen deprived at birth), also has a personality disorder. She reads about a 2nd grade level. She is just very hard to handle at times. Very demanding. Not enough space here to explain it all. Do y'all have a week or two to spare for listening? lol

#15 ·
I am assuming that she lives with you full time? If so, why not try to incorporate her into the 'saving game'.

It may require a different approach due to her disabilities - but maybe you could make a calendar for you two, that when you have a no spend day you can post a giant star or other fun sticker. Or maybe have a 'treat box' where you draw a card (which you have made up earlier) - with a reward (let's go watch TV, or lets bake some cookies, or lets go take a walk around the block - or whatever she considers to be a special treat - besides shopping for stuff - maybe do a craft together or something)...

My sister's son is autistic. He is a non-communicative (meaning he has a special book with things, people & places, and he has been trained to make sentences by pointing out what he wants or needs). He is 29 yrs old. And also very demanding. Couple that with the fact that he cannot speak and he freaks out a lot. So I get what you mean by the being hard to handle & demanding. Unfortunately you cannot reason with him at all about anything. All you can do is do your best to keep him calm & relaxed. (And the fact that he is 6.5" is a HUGE problem too - no pun intended - haha)...

Big hugs to you!

#16 ·
We have been having a no-spend day so far. Kids playing in the snow, me watching a movie on television and doing small chores around the house, all meals from the pantry and freezer.

However...dh and I have decided to go see "The Hobbit" tonight. It will cost money, although we will use our Stubs card to earn points toward dollars off a future visit. Here's my rational...we never go out alone. Like, ever. It's important, I think, for us to spend some time alone sometimes that doesn't involve collapsing after we get everyone else to bed, and we have both been waiting and waiting for this movie to come out and it's the first night that my Mom was able to babysit. I'll be using money I got for Christmas, so it's not coming out of bill money or anything like that. We will also buy popcorn and soda because that's how we roll at the movies. My justification for the snacks...because we want them. :)

#18 ·
Today was a no-spend day for me. I haven't left the house.

Now we can get really analytical and say that I used utilities and home insurance & health insurance - and all that other stuff - but I am sticking to my story ... (those bills will come later in the month)

Today, no real cash money passed thru my hands.

#20 ·
Hilarious! Was that you that got beaten up once about the fact that 'technically speaking... you used.. x energy / supply, etc to do your free thing?"

I only read the post and didn't join in on it. But wow.

Good job today.

Cheers! :D

Reactions: oheoh's momma
#19 ·
Oncegirl I remember you posting about your daughter..hugs and prayers...try making a game out of it.....

Do u ladies mind I f I join? today was a spend day I bought hot dogs and buns..because I did not feel like cooking a big meal for Paige's company...
I also do not feel good I have a mild seizure and my knee is swollen... so it is easy..and I think it is a justifable spending... This week is rent, cable/phone/internet and electric....970 in bills by next Friday.. so no spending here...

#22 ·
Well, I personally would be offended if you did not join - so there! Welcome aboard the saving train...
I hope you feel better soon - sounds like a rough day. You are pardoned for your expenditure ~ lol
Take care of YOU!

#23 ·
shhhh....I'm getting ready to pounce on another cookbook........maybe I can call it a late xmas present :)

#25 ·
#26 ·
Lady- Excellent find! considering it goes for nearly $17!
I think it's a useful cookbook.

Great job.

Cheers!

Reactions: ladytoysdream
#27 ·
This is the other book I won this past week. I paid $ 4.30 for my copy and that included shipping. I am trying to build up my putting food up cookbooks.
Brilliant Food Tips | eBay

#28 ·
Lady- did you see the one for $133 new???? wow!!!

Now you MUST share what you learn! that looks like a very interesting title.

#29 ·
I try not to look at the overpiced ones...crazy sellers.
Somebody is fishing for a customer who does not look for bargains.

I also check out the same titles on Amazon. I read the reviews and see if the book will be a good fit for my bookshelf. No sense buying something that will only sit and gather dust.

#30 ·
Back to say I bought something! Not 100% necessary and not cash $. I have been reading this blog http://earlyretirementextreme.com/. I decided I wanted his book of Amazon. I checked for a used copy first but they were only a few cents less. Good to know. It didn't actually cost me cash $. I let them take it out of my Discover cards cash rewards balance.

#31 ·
See guys, all these book purchases are going to be money-makers. (Either you resell the book) or you garner extensive knowledge from it. So these are investment purchases. Unlike a giant candy bar or something. There is value in your $$'s spent. (Though that giant candy bar in the moment tastes mighty fine going down - lol)...

#36 ·
I agree and mine was actually no $ spent since i have the rewards. I have about $150 sitting there in rewards cash. The reviews of the book were good so I expect to learn a few things. If nothing else I will leave it in Dh's bathroom and let him read it and think getting a bit more extreme is his idea :)

Speaking of candy. If I never see another piece it will be ok. I sampled too liberally over Christmas and could alamost gag looking at a piece.

#33 ·
I am going to start 2 charts and track how much I spend for the year.

1 will be for my side businesses (things I plan to turn into money -makers) - (but not my rental business - that is a whole other ballgame). This chart is only for my little extra money-makers like Farmers Market, craft shows, things for resale to others. (Things like yarn & fabric, jewelry making supplies, etc)

The other chart will be for anything that I purchase to run the household. Food, HBA's, clothing, etc... anything that is used by DH & I personally.

I am not going to get into the nitty-gritty of things. I am not breaking down things to the penny. I will have just a few columns (food, HBA's, entertainment, clothing, misc) - other than that - I am not trying to turn it into a major science experiment. Actually I was not even going to break it down into any categories, but I thought I might be interested at the end of the year to see where the monies actually went.

I am not including any expenses such as rent, mtg, utilities, loan payments, insurance payments - anything of that nature. Just the everyday 'living' stuff. DH keeps all that information in his computer (coz he is the payer of those bills, so they are always available at a moment's notice) - I am more interested in other categories.

So starting tomorrow - I will begin to fill in the charts. And I will post at the end of each month how I made out.

Anyone wanna play this part?

#34 ·
I already track different things in notebooks.
I have my energy notebook, I call it, where I track the meter reading each day, kwh for that day, weather (snow), laundry loads that day. I will now put a T down, which means I want to town that day. Very few this winter. I am trying to keep the gas consumption down for my truck.

My other notebook is for the bills and what day they get paid. I also track the gas fillups in that notebook. I can get that info from our check register.I also track stuff for the dogs, like a vet visit or any meds. Othe misc bills that come once a year.

What I need to track is the groceries better. If I can put the reciepts in a envelope and then once a week, transfer that to a notebook. This way I can look back and see patterns. Most of the groceries is cash, from money that I made extra. Not anything to do with the main budget. I am guessing I am $ 50 a week or less for groceries on the average. I need to break down into columns what is for us, the dogs, and HBA. The chicken feed I can track in the check register, because that is separate. I stockpile when I can. For example, I have not bought any TP in just over 1.5 yrs now. What is in the house, will last at least another 4 months. Awhile ago, I bought a box of bar soap for $ 1 at a garage sale. It had 75 full size bars, and we are still using them. My log for tracking household stuff is sure going to be interesting this year :)

#35 ·
As of tomorrow, I'm going to make an effort to track our spending. It'll be hard and discouraging, but with the help of this thread I'm sure I can do it! Thanks for starting it, sabrelvssammy! I've always thought of starting a thread like this...just didn't know how to put the challenge into words.

I'm hoping to not spend a dime today. But I'm not sure how it'll play out. Going to soon have my breakfast, make my lunch and the kids' lunches and then possibly head off to a playgroup most likely. The playgroups here are free...thanks to our taxes being put to good use.

I need to be extra frugal this year. Paying off debt (our line of credit and mortgage) is my top priority when it comes to finances. I also need to make a plan for saving for two future expenses...another used van in the next year or two depending on how long our current 2003 one will last (it has rust) and a 15 year Anniversary getaway in the summer of 2014. DH said he wants to go back to where we honeymooned (in the Caribbean). Not sure where I can cut to create money for those two expenses.

#38 · (Edited)
I already track every penny down to the catatogory it belongs in. I like looking back and seeing how much we spent on electricity for say a year. I like looking back and seeing what months were the most expensive in terms of electricity and then compare those months with past years that month.

I know down to the penny how much was spent on each catagory for each year.

We spent more on clothing this year then past years. I looked at why. Hubby's clothes wore out happens about evey three year. I needed work clothing. Both Buddy and Little Miss hit growth spurts. Buddy needed new jeans and shoes. Little Miss neeeded almost eveything.

I can see that we spent $0 on movie rentals for 2012. That is lower than 2011.

I also save all recietps filed by month. I save them for a few years.

I like to be informed. I like information. I like comparing information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.