Frugal Village Forums banner

2013 change jar challange

13K views 211 replies 39 participants last post by  EmilyD 
#1 ·
I haven't seen the 2013 change jar challange so i thought i would get us started.I only saved $31.94 last year in change stared using it and putting in SM kettle.I am going start again adding to the $31.94 any one else care to join.

Reactions: NikoSan999
#3 ·
I'm in... I only save quarters. 2012 I had saved enough to pay for Christmas. WooHoo

Any other change goes into the car ashtray for my DD. She likes to go through and pick out the nickles and dimes. She doesn't find the pennies as exciting. lol

#4 ·
OK, I think I would like to try this. Please tell me - what counts as change? Do you just empty your cash purse into the jar every so often - every evening, perhaps? I can find coins in my purse, right now, but some of them are one pound, and others two-pound coins. That seems like a large amount to be withdrawing from the budget. One pound is the approximate equivalent of $1.60 and therefore a two-pound coin would be the equivalent of twice that. Is it OK to decide to only put coins below a certain denomination, in the pot/jar or would that be against the spirit of the idea?

#6 ·
Is it OK to decide to only put coins below a certain denomination, in the pot/jar or would that be against the spirit of the idea?

It is certainly okay to do as you please. Pounds are very different than the coins.. I wouldn't drop a dollar bill into the change jar but I would drop 4 quartersl lol. go figure.

But it is as you make it.

One year, I did do the dollar drop. That lasted me a short while. lol. I needed that cash for other things.

Cheers!

#5 ·
I'll play! I have two banks: one is a green pig that gets all my silver coins; one is a big, plastic tube that gets all my pennies. Last year my two banks fetched almost $200! It was great to cash that in at Christmas time. I used it for stocking stuffers and party fare. Totally full, the green pig is around $200 by itself (and it wasn't full last year), so this year my goal is to fill green pig AND fill penny tube.

#7 ·
I'm in again this year. I haven't cashed in my 2012 jar yet and I am thinking of just adding 2013 to it. Hopefully it will be HUGE at the end of this year! :laugh:

#10 ·
My biggest problem is keeping the hubby out of it. lol
... and THAT is what super-glue was made for! :lol: or go to the Dollar Tree and buy one of the big plastic crayon banks and glue the bottom in... it can't be open unless you cut it (or are really REALLY patient, trying to get a coin to come out of that tiny hole).

I'm in too! I have change scattered all around. Pennies, Nickles, Dimes only - Need Quarters for laundry.

#9 ·
I am in again this year. Still have last years going. I saved $174.81 last year. We are going to continue adding to it and cash it in tax time for a tv we are saving for.

Reactions: OOwl and NikoSan999
#11 ·
I forgot to mention.. that I'm in for the challenge. I have an obsession of not spending my change. Weird. I want to put in the jar. I have a jar that's been there for a couple of years. One is silver the other is pennies.

I just don't spend all that much cash in order to obtain so much change.

it'll be fun anyway.

Question: what does one do with the change? I feel as though if I went to the change-counter-upper-thingy, they charge a percent of the $$ and I don't like that. Yet, they won't take the coins rolled for them - it's a conspiracy I tell ya! a conspiracy!

Cheers!

#12 ·
Question: what does one do with the change? I feel as though if I went to the change-counter-upper-thingy, they charge a percent of the $$ and I don't like that.
Depends on who the person is... some have used it for vacation spending, holiday shopping, emergency fund. Usually mine is for vacation fun money, but since OldMan has been unemployed since Thanksgiving, I am thinking it will be used for the holidays.

We have an account at TD Bank up the street, they have a "penny arcade" and there is no charge to cash in the coins. We don't have much at the bank, but we won't close it because we can use the coin machine free. :lol:

#13 ·
My bank has a change counter for free. When my change (not quarters) in the car ashtray gets too full I put the overflow into a container then when I run past my bank I cash it in and add to savings. It isn't much maybe $4-5 but it does add up.(DD likes to dip into the car stash. lol) I cash my quarters in once a year and use for Christmas.

#14 ·
I'm in. We have a 5-gallon jug that we've had for years... back when DD9 was a toddler, she was always putting coins in her mouth, so we got the jar and taught her to put the coins in there, instead... I would cash it out whenever we wanted something "extra"... this year I'm going to try to let it build allllll year and see what we end up with... but then, the kids are older now, and DD5 is a total hoarder, if she finds a coin she'll run and hide it in her stash.

I just emptied the remnants of 2012, which was $34.19 (bearing in mind I cashed in at least once earlier in the year, and also prefer not to use cash.) Most of the change I end up with actually comes from Hubs' pockets... he empties them on the nightstand, the hall table, my dresser, his dresser, the bathroom counter...

FN- next time you're near a "coinstar" machine, check out their gift card options. Some machines will charge no fee if you put the money onto a card instead of cash. If there's cards you can use, that may be an option for you. I'm like the others, my bank charges no fee for our machine.

Now, how to allocate the coins I cashed today and the money I'm going to save in the jar this year? THAT is the question...

#15 ·
I am in agin this year. I think that I am just going to roll mine over from last year. We want to take a vacation this year. But I just may cash it in for christmas for this year. We use a 2 jars. A small one then a 3 gallon jug. When the small one gets full then I put it in the 3 gallon. So I will be starting out with almost $85.

#18 ·
I'm in. I didn't cash out last years so will add this years to it. Put about $20 in it a couple days ago. No idea how much is in it. No idea of what to do with it other than just save it. Least for now.

Reactions: Lady_V
#20 ·
I'm in.Although I failed miserably last year.Lol. I am always asked to give to charity so I save my pennies in a seperate jar.Then when the jar is full or we find a good cause my kids and I vote whatever charity it goes to.The other change goes into a giant jug.I kept digging in the jug last year. So lets hope I can rise to the challenge this year. I would like to let it get full and use it toward the mortgage. That will take several years to fill so it might be a good amount by then. :)

#21 ·
Whopping 45 cents added today....Whoo Hoo!!

#23 ·
91 cents added this morning

Reactions: Debbie-cat
#24 ·
Mine is a true penny jar: $0.23 right now.
Will add more change on payday.

#28 ·
Added $1.23 since the beginning of the year!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.