Frugal Village Forums banner

2013 Coupon Savings Challenge

4K views 39 replies 9 participants last post by  NikoSan999 
#1 ·
I see this one wasn't started yet. I'll start it in case a few want to track their coupons etc. Can someone sticky it please?

#2 ·
Yesterday hubs went to Winn Dixie Between Reward Card and coupon he saved $7.60. Adding to siggy.

#4 ·
I don't. Mostly because there's no way over a years time I could afford to put into savings what I've saved but you could do that if you want. For instance I had several months last year where I got close to $200 in groceries and only spent like $75 for several weeks in a row and off and on thru out the year plus the smaller coupon weeks.

Now I just keep the receipts and when I have time add them up. This year I want to total them and add them to my siggy here to track.

I count coupons, reward savings, Walgreens, CVS card savings, Kohls cash...anything that saves money

#7 ·
I'm going to try to track my coupons... try... things get lost so fast around here. For me, a coupon is a piece of paper--meaning I'm not counting sale prices or that sort of thing.

Today I saved $6 with doubled coupons on tuna (bringing it down to $.69/can) and Progresso soup (bringing it down to $.86/can.) It would have been $7, but the kids distracted me and I missed one. And that's why my "stupid tax" total went up a buck today. <sigh>

#10 ·
$9.55 today (off a total order of $40, so almost 25%!) I should have split the orders between "need it but don't have a coupon" and "have a coupon," I bet I the percentage off would have been crazy :)

So running total is... $52.03.

#11 ·
This challenge is all about seeing how much one saves using coupons but I have been doing minimal shopping and eating from the freezer/pantry. The food we have been buying on an as needed basis and does not have coupons...fresh produce & proteins.

So who's the bigger winner here: bigger coupon savings or healthier eating? :laugh:

#21 ·
You do a lot of price matching. Again...I count anything that constitutes a sale price or saving money. Everyone has always had their own way of doing this challenge. I think if it is a money saver count it. That's just me. Others do too...or used to.

Reactions: Libby
#13 ·
If tomorrow's paper has coupons in it, I will buy it. I'll try my hand at it.

#14 ·
Our local community paper usually has all the flyers w/coupon booklet. The coupons come once every 2-3 months? I got a preview online and refuse to print from the site b/c it uses a third party software that I need to add to my computer just to d/l the coupons to print (which most stores refuse anyhow) BUT my virus scanner goes bonkers when I try to d/l that software and since then I've sworn to never d/l it. I'd rather not get a coupon then risk the security of my computer.

HOWEVER I'm pretty well stocked on most things - except fresh - I don't need the coupon book. I just feel bad that I'm not getting it - going against my couponing nature.

#15 ·
Today I saved $10.25 directly (money off the purchase price) with coupons, plus used store coupons to get $24.97 in free (after rebate) products, making my FAR products into money-makers. I had another $29.98 FAR products, but those didn't need the coupons to make them work... (Not to mention, if they weren't money-maker FARs I wouldn't have bought) So I won't count those.

So... by that math.... 52.03 previous total+10.25 coupon savings+24.97 coupon rebates= 87.25 running total

#16 ·
Yesterday the manager at CVS overrode my overages :( but with coupons I still saved $24.07 (spent $10.01 with tax)

At the grocery, I spent $46 on: 1 gallon milk, 1 quart OJ, 231 loads worth of HE laundry soap, 75 sqft tinfoil, 20 yogurts, 3 triscuits, 3 9oz bottles of dawn, a pack of oreos, 4 boxes of fruit snacks, 1 quart of ice cream, and 6 boxes of Hamburger helper... my coupons were $27.03 (this is the paper coupons only, not the sale prices, which were another $40... not that I'd ever shop there at full price...) If you assume that we do an average of one load of laundry/day, and that nobody spills or is wasteful, then including what I already had and the bottle I got on sale at CVS I think I've got about enough laundry soap to last the rest of the year! :) Seriously...

(Before we go there, nobody's come out with a HM recipe for HE detergent yet...)

So, $87.25 old total plus $24.07 at CVS plus $27.03 at the grocery brings us to...

$138.35

#18 ·
Ok, yesterday was pretty awesome. I had a Tresemme coupon that was expiring and a CVS sale that was just starting... 3 bottles for $10, 2 $1.75/1 coupons, 1 BOGO coupon that rang up at $6 and the cashier (male) didn't override it... equals... $.49 plus $.03 tax...

$9.50 to whatever I had before... and I used a $5 ECB in the same trip for some other stuff... total savings $14.80, total spent $1.05, most of which was tax. :)

#19 ·
saved $7.45 with coupons today...saved more with the BOGOs, love those BOGOs :)

Reactions: NikoSan999
#20 ·
I personally count the BOGO. I count anything that constitutes a sale price. Everyone has always had their own way of doing this challenge. I think if it is a money saver count it.

#22 ·
For February so far coupons or savings however are $4.46...For year so far $15.96. Doesn't sound like a lot but haven't spent much on groceries either...so all good.

#23 ·
Grocery yesterday and today. Between coupons, sales and BOGO's I saved $25.06.

#24 ·
Coupons used for March totaled $40.50

Total for year $60.92

#25 ·
Well it seems that since we have issues getting the weekly flyers on time - if at all - it has been saving us money by me not feeling I need to stockpile items or buy in volume b/c of the discounted price. If you don't know you're missing a sale, you can't spend money right?

We've only been buying what we need and should there be a sale while we're at that specific store...we might grab a few of those items.

Only been buying fresh produce, meat, eggs & dairy on a reg basis. I guess my hoarding/stockpiling of basics has helped b/c we really haven't had to replenish much? :scratch:

I think I might adapt the buy what you need as you need mentality since the majority of what we do buy is fresh and perishable AND saving us $$$! Plus we're eating healthier.

#27 ·
Total of $3.73

Went to two groceries today and got marked down meat at one. Saved $3.25 on it. Nothing great but hey...I'll take it. Total for the meat and gallon of milk was $15.14 and it's enough to make a big pot of beef stew, one supper of roast and whatever sides plus probably some left over for BBQ shredded beef. Also got a marked down pkg of thin sliced pork for 2 stir fries.

Other store I got fresh veggies which I don't do often. Amazes me every time I go to buy it. $1.69 a pound for 3 zucchini and I think 6 yellow squash And this was on sale. I've been craving deep fried zucchini and squash or I wouldn't have done it. Also peppers at $3 a pound for the colored in a bag. Separate green are $1.99 a pound and colored are $3.99 a pound so it worked out. Wanted for the stir fry.

At least there will be several meals out of all of it. I haven't been on a major shop in a long time. I'll probably have a heart attack when I do. UGH!!!

#28 ·
Woot! Woot! I can finally add to this tread :laugh:

Today, I cashed in a lot of my FPC's, price matched and saved $68.22.

Discounted meat savings from the past few grocery runs with dad $27.23

That's $95.45 added to my total bringing me to >>> $172.44! :cheergrl: (for both Q's + PM)

#29 ·
Found a great deal for my sis then thought to cash in on it as well. I don't really need more dish detergent BUT I do have the room to house a couple more bottles especially when they're $0.50/full sized bottle. Clorox Greenworks :thumb:

Bought two and saved $3.96 combined. Might pick up a couple more before the week's over if I'm near the store thats having the sale or a store that will price match & take my coupon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.