Frugal Village Forums banner

The pick it up challenge

1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  bookwormpeg 
#1 ·
How many times have walked by a penny..and said nah not worth picking it up..and I will admit to being guilty of this one as of late...I have walked by on the kitchen floor for 2 days.....( I know sad isn't it) but pennies add up...

so this is the challenge to pick up all the loose change laying around, then search all your old purses and wallets, coats, stick your hands in the cruddy part of the sofa (ick) , then your car, office desk or locker and finally the ground outside your home...glad winter is here and I can wear gloves for this...

any hoo you get the idea..

this can become savings, dinner out for a special occasion, money for a new purse..or Holiday extra money....

lets start

and yes I did pick up the penny on the kitchen floor....

#3 ·
I've done this sort of thing with my nieces and nephews when they were younger. We would go on a treasure hunt for coins to see how much we could find. We would walk the town, check around pop machines, under the bleachers, around concession stands etc. We would also clean under the couches, the car etc. Growing up my dad had a metal detector and I have memories of digging up treasures and coins with my dad. I still have dreams sometimes that I have found a buried treasure.
And yes, I still pick up any coin I see and add it to my piggy bank.

#4 ·
If I drop one in the house I pick it up, but pass by anything anywhere else. I'm not nearly as bendable as I was years ago, and every year it seems the ground gets farther away. However, a few years ago (I think) there was a thread about picking up coins and apparently finding one made the day for so many people, I said that perhaps I should start dropping a penny or nickel now and then in a parking lot just to spread some joy around - LOL!

#7 ·
I empty my bag every week and dump all the change in a money box. We cash it in pretty regularly and it's usually about $40!! I cash it in at one of those coin star machines and I get amazon vouchers to pay for gifts and things. :)

I could really do with a deep penny clean in the car, house, bags, etc.

Reactions: oheoh's momma
#8 ·
I just took my kids to the credit union last week and they wanted to take in their change that they collect. We pick up coins everywhere we see them. Granted, we had not cashed them in before. We put DS's change on the scale before taking it in and it weighed 11 lbs. It came out to $121.66. DD's change was less then 1 pound and her's was around $23.00.

I know there is a huge variable on weight vs which coins are there, but it was sure a good learning lesson for the kids. Teaching them that it all adds up. A penny here a quarter there leads to a good deposit to your account if you wait a while. They are always excited to find coins laying around.

#9 ·
I have always picked up change. Looking for change can lead to finding bills. I have picked up $1s, $5s, $10s, $20s and even found a $100 bill one time. I don't find bills often, but I do find them! Hubby's father has a knack for finding jewelry on the ground - NICE jewelry sometimes!

#10 ·
I used to pick up money all the time on the ground..
but when we moved I quit...I never go anywhere I am almost a hermit..

today in operation pick up looking for money on my computer desk and the 3 purses hanging on the door knob...

well my purses came up empty... but I did find bobby pins for my hair.
so did the computer desk..

( we did a house shake awhile back and came up with 42 dollars so it not net much)
well keep at it

#12 ·
People glue them onto footpaths to trick people when they try to pick them up. There is one down the road that has been there for years. I keep forgetting it is glued down and try to pick it up at least once a week.

Reactions: oheoh's momma
#13 ·
A few months ago I started watching the ground......last week I found a dime at church; three pennies at different places....and, just about everyday I find pennies....I always pick it up and say "Thank you Lord." Today I walked into Wags and right in front of me, I found two pennies...Yesterday I found 13 cents......I have a counting jar I put it in....At Christmas time, I will donate to the church....it really does add up....sometimes I find it kinda of scary & other times I will say "Lord, I haven't found a penny in a few days" & BOOM usually I find one....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.