Frugal Village Forums banner

2014 Grocery Budget Challenge

45K views 513 replies 68 participants last post by  wunsagin 
#1 ·
Is everyone ready to commit to a grocery budget challenge for 2014?

I live alone and support two dogs. I also have a brother and friend whom I help out with food. I eat mostly organic but cook most things from scratch. I'm setting my grocery budget at $600 per month for 2014. That includes eating out (which I only do a few times a year.)

#2 ·
My monthly grocery and house hold cleaning and bath product average $191.92 for 2013.So since I have a large freezer full and pantry full I am going try for $150. a month except the months I go to sams. E ating out not included in that.

#3 ·
Oh boy! I need to really cut down on grocery spending. We are on a very limited income right now....and groceries are sucking a huge chunk of our money. I have been trying to get back into couponing...but with food it's really not a help since most coupons are for prepackaged junk foods that I don't buy anyways. I do shop at Aldi's and other discount grocery stores. I just need to find a way to stretch my dollars more. I am grocery shopping for 4 people. Two teenage boys, my boyfriend and myself. I am going to aim for $500 or less a month...Not sure how well I will do with that...but I am going to try

#4 ·
My goal for 2014 is $120.00 every 2 weeks.

It includes: cleaning and laundry supplies, HBA,
cat food and litter, paper, and food.

This last year I have been loosely spending $160.00
plus extras, not really trying to budget, so it will be
an interesting experiment.

#5 ·
This next year is a major belt-tightening, pay down debt year. I have two full freezers, a full fridge, full pantry, and two full book cases of food. Budget is set at $100 a month, which is mainly for fresh produce and the occasional meat stock up.

#7 ·
I have had an awful time in 2013 sticking to a budget of 100 per week. Feeding 4 adults, 2 of which are BIG eaters. So for 2014, my goal is to limit to 100 per week, not including HBA, pet or eating out. In addition I want to resume couponing for HBA and pet items and try to get them at dollar store or less prices. This will be quite a challenge since the family thinks items like diet sode and propel flavored water are necessities.....hold on to your hats folks....It promises to be a bumpy ride!

#8 ·
My biggest expense, by far, is fresh and frozen organic fruit. I make a lot of fruit smoothies because they are easy on my stomach, good for my health, and taste good. I only eat dessert on very special occasions so my daily smoothie is my dessert. I know I can stick to the budget if I write down everything I spend each time I go to the store. It also helps to be accountable to this group.

#11 ·
I only have two dogs and they're small but they eat Blue Buffalo and it's expensive. I also buy them Yak chew sticks and Blue Buffalo treats. It's their health care that took a toll on me these past 2 years. Ace broke his leg just before Thanksgiving and had surgery with a plate put in. Last year Cricket had a dental with 7 teeth pulled.

#10 ·
Not sure what to set my grocery budget goal for in January. 3 adults and 1 pet. I do know I can decrease spending in this area this year. I'm not eating pork or beef due to high blood cholesterol level. I will be buying more fresh fruits and vegies. Snack foods, fast food, eating out all will be reduced to rare occasions. Soda still a problem area for me. Processed foods will be reduced. Waste minimized. Occasionally buy groceries for dd who doesn't live at home. Son lives at home part time. Respite care clients spend the day and night on irregular schedule. Minimal food in refridgerator, freezer, pantry at this time.
My plan is to limit shopping trips to twice a week, to stick to a list, to plan my menus based on sale ads, and to cook appropriate quantities.
One of my problems is that I cook too much food and then there is waste. Leftovers are ok for one day but after that it just doesn't get ate. I've also found frozen leftovers don't do well here.

#13 ·
I also had a difficult time sticking to the grocery budget in 2013. But with some major belt-tightening currently underway and lasting through this next year, I am committing to track our grocery money closer than ever and sticking fast to $300 per month which includes stockpiling, HBA, etc. for two adults and two children.

#15 ·
I will also be keeping track:

Budget is $120.00 for every 2 weeks

#17 ·
I'm in! Been away for awhile but have been frugal. I am currently stocked up, problem is I need to be better about using it up and most of all circulating it so I use it up by date. I would like to go a min. of a couple of months only buying bread, eggs and some produce. Keep you posted.

#18 ·
I need to have better control. 2013 I started out great but then I tried doing weight watchers and doubled my grocery bill. I want to get it back to $50 a week which will average $217 a month. This is for food only for 2 adults and sometimes a poor starving college student :)

I would also like to try to go at least one week every 2 months and not buy a thing just use what we have. If I can manage that I hope to reduce my budget by $300 for the year.

#19 ·
I'm in.. I was terrible last year about keeping track, really need to do this. I just went on what my husband calls a throw and go, this is you want it...you better get it. We rarely do this, maybe every 2-3 months. This time we spent a total of 186.00, we will still be adding fresh fruit, veggies and a few cat items. I will shoot for $300 a month for me, hubby and 1 cat. I already challenged hubby to see how long we can go without a major trip....he loves a challenge :loop:

$300

$114 to go

#20 ·
I need to be in, and as we ate out alot last year, I have 3 categories.

One is my doggie and her "stuff". I am aiming at $1000 for the whole year, which includes flea treatment, heartworm, yearly appointment, maybe one other appointment just in case, food and toys/treats.

One is my going out to eat. I am setting it at $50 a week, which seems like a lot as I write it, but I am embarrassed how much we spent last year on going out to eat.

Last one is grocery. I am not sure what to set this at for my family because we ate out so much last year, but my daycare spends about $500 a month for 8 kids. So I will add $400 for my family of 2 adults, 1 teen boy and an 11 year old girl who eats like a grown man!

#22 ·
I would like to join. There are five of us in the house, 2 adults and 3 kids as well as a dog and cat. I am going to put our budget at $100 per week to include food, cleaning products, paper goods and diapers. This would not include eating out or medicine. I do currently receive WIC so we get help with our milk and some eggs etc.

#23 ·
I'm back in this year. 2013 was full of all kinds of changes for us and I got distracted from the village.

Not sure of our amount yet as I'm still tweaking budgets and have one more shopping trip planned that will add some items to our storage. Currently have a deep freeze and regular freezer that are stuffed full as well as full pantry shelves. One thing I'm starting in 2014 is dedicating one week a month to menu's involving only food storage so we can do a better job at rotating our stock. That should also help with our overall spending.

#24 ·
Getting prepared by taking inventory of my pantry and freezer so I can incorporate what I have into the menus. Also having dh pick up sale items today. Will start officially on Wednesday with the New Year. Will track spending in January and set a new goal each month.

#25 ·
The grocery budget is always my down fall. I have the best of intentions but always fall short. I actually started last Friday on a new goal of $100 a week for food for our family of 4 grown ups. I am not counting animal food but will include paper and cleaning in this budget. I will post later what I spent last Friday in another post when I get a minute to figure it up exactly.

Reactions: piney
#27 ·
OK, I looked through and last Friday I spent $138.05. I did buy enough for 2 weeks except for a few fresh items. So right now I am on path.

Reactions: piney
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.